Post Game: Green Bay defeats Detroit 35-17

It's the NFL. It happens. Especially within a division rivalry game. I'm not gonna get too worked up about being down at half. They came back and shut them out in the 2nd half. That's a good thing.
@RobDemovsky
·
15h

The Packers have allowed 7 TD passes this season, their most thru 2 games in franchise history -- and there are still 2 quarters to go. They've gone 8 straight quarters without a sack, their most consecutive Qs w/out a sack since 2015.

Some thoughts
  • The Manning Cast is must see TV
  • Lack of pressure is going to cost this team. I get King is what he is but Goff could have eaten a pizza he had so much time to throw. No DB can cover for 8-10 seconds
  • As rpiotr mentioned in shout the team runs thru Jones. Why they gave up on the run-on the 2nd drive was troubling.
  • The offense also runs thru Adams. He’s the only guy who gets separation and if they are off schedule he can get yards. It’s going to catch up to them
Caught a bit of Manning cast. Thought it was ok. I'll watch it more when the Pack isn't playing.

Agree on this offense running through Jones and Adams. Teams are going to have to key on Jones, eventually, and hopefully, this will open up other parts of their offense. They have to remain consistent with running it through him until someone figures it out.

No pressure, as you say, is gonna be a huge downfall for this defense. It will make for some long games.

Last edited:
@RobDemovsky
·
15h

The Packers have allowed 7 TD passes this season, their most thru 2 games in franchise history -- and there are still 2 quarters to go. They've gone 8 straight quarters without a sack, their most consecutive Qs w/out a sack since 2015.

In no way am I defending this defense. I'm just saying that a lot of teams go into half, down, to division rivals. It's not the end all be all to be down at half. That's why they play a whole 4 quarters. This Defense has a lot of work to do and I'm not confident that it gets worked out this season. Still not sure what ML seen in Barry but I guess we'll have at least 15 more games to find that out.

Positives:
Division win

Jones is a fast difference maker in the offense

Outside of a couple of sacks I was pretty happy with the young OL

Stokes is raw but you can see the talent and the speed he possesses

Negatives:
Kevin King being immediately picked on by opposing offenses and the 10 yard cushions he gives the offense.

The team still even with the nice win seems slow and maybe rusty.

Defensive slow start and bend but don't break style. This defense starts off so passive and gives up plays right off the bat. Hopefully one of these days I can stop bitching about the defense.

NEG: K. King has lost his speed due to all of the injuries. He wasn't a fluid corner from Day 1, but at least he was fast. He struggled to stay with former Badger Q. Cephus, who is sloooowww. Barry needs to figure out his secondary fast. The experimenting with King in the slot is a disaster. He's not quick or agile enough to play there. I think King is strictly an outside corner, who needs to play press man, and come off the bench as needed. Let Stokes take his lumps now as the starter.

NEG: Our DL is in trouble and cannot dictate the line of scrimmage. Lancaster was terrible. I couldn't focus much on Keke or Lowry but they certainly didn't make an (good) impact.

POS: LaFleur stuck with the run game (mostly).

NEG: Lack of pre-snap motion and a lot of static and sometimes empty backfield formations. Visions of McCarthy - yuck.

It's the NFL. It happens. Especially within a division rivalry game. I'm not gonna get too worked up about being down at half. They came back and shut them out in the 2nd half. That's a good thing.
Look at the past several games against Detroit. Thay've been playing us tough for years now.

NEG: K. King has lost his speed due to all of the injuries. He wasn't a fluid corner from Day 1, but at least he was fast. He struggled to stay with former Badger Q. Cephus, who is sloooowww. Barry needs to figure out his secondary fast. The experimenting with King in the slot is a disaster. He's not quick or agile enough to play there. I think King is strictly an outside corner, who needs to play press man, and come off the bench as needed. Let Stokes take his lumps now as the starter.

NEG: Our DL is in trouble and cannot dictate the line of scrimmage. Lancaster was terrible. I couldn't focus much on Keke or Lowry but they certainly didn't make an (good) impact.

POS: LaFleur stuck with the run game (mostly).

NEG: Lack of pre-snap motion and a lot of static and sometimes empty backfield formations. Visions of McCarthy - yuck.
They eventually moved Jaire inside, Stokes and King outside.

This defense is buildt to play with a lead, and we saw what happened in the 2nd half.

Btw, they cut Sternberger loose.

This defense won't get much sacks. The DL sucks and their best pass rusher is on IR. If this team gets to 20 sacks on the season they might be lucky.

Looking at Clark contract GB if they cut Clark after this season would take a $15 million dead cap hit but save $5.65 million against the 2022 cap.

Back