Packers release DT Mike Daniels

Wow. Did not see that coming. I surprised that they cut him. I'm really surprised that they did not wait until they see how training camp goes. What if they get hit with some injuries? Do they have that much depth?

I always liked him and wish him all the best. Watch. He'll end up at the Vikings.:rolleyes:
I think Packers really like the young guys they have and figure go to the young cheaper kid over the old high paid vet

The cash they saved with the Daniels move, if it's going to be used to extend anyone, should be used on Martinez.

Packers can't afford to get weaker up the middle by losing him to FA next year. He's a key cog in Pettine's defense right now.

Clark will be playing the 2020 season on his 5th year option that the Packers exercised earlier this year and so he won't be eligible for FA until 2021. This gives the Packers time (about 1 1/2 years) to work out a long term deal with him.

Martinez is the more immediate target.

I thought he was going to be cut. He held no trade value because of his contract, and despite how highly some people that he was playing, he wasn't going to do more than suck up cap money. It was a good move letting him go.

As for why they held on to him for so long, I'm not certain, but I'd guess that one of the issues might have been that the Packers didn't want to let him be out there on the market prior to the majority of the bigger contract free agents being signed. They may have figured they still had an outside chance of making a trade.

In all honesty, I never saw him as that great a player despite all the hype.

I think they waited to cut Daniels until they got Lowry signed. If they would have cut him earlier that would have given Lowry's agent more power to up the cost of signing him Just a smart move on the Packers part.
They have been trying to move him for awhile. More timing.

Will be interesting what comes of this if Daniels really knew anything or not. He was in GB hosting the 1st every Mike Daniels back to school bash were kids got school supplies. He said that his foot was healing well and to expect him on the field Thursday.

They have been trying to move him for awhile. . .

i'm not sure how much i believe that. or if they were, i wonder how hard they tried. there are ways that they could have made the trade more attractive if they really wanted to.

Back