Packers release DT Mike Daniels

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net

The Green Bay Packers have released Pro Bowl DT Mike Daniels, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.
No other details were released. The decision comes on the eve of Training Camp.
"Surprise of the day: Green Bay is releasing former Pro Bowl DT Mike Daniels, per source," reads a tweet from Schefter.
Action 2 Sports will have complete coverage of the decision on the Cover 2 Camp Edition special airing at 7 p.m. on WBAY. Chris Roth, Dave Schroeder, Baillie Burmaster and the On the Clock panel of experts will give you in depth analysis.
ESPN reporter and Cover 2 contributer Rob Demovsky says the decision "makes sense on several levels." Daniels was due to make $8.5 million this year.
Action 2 Sports spoke with Daniels Monday at the 'First Annual Daniels Back to School Bash' hosted by Mike and his wife Heaven.
Daniels was in his eighth season with the Packers. He told us how excited he was for Packers Training Camp.
"Every year going into camp it's a different kind of excitement because every year is different and obviously we know that we have a different kind of excitement because we have a whole new coaching staff," Daniels said. "We'll see how everything goes along, but everybody has had a lot of positive energy and I like the direction that everything is going."
Daniels played in the fewest games in a season in 2018 after he missed the final six games due to a foot injury.
"My foot is coming along. You guys will see me on Thursday. I'm excited. God has brought me a long way with this thing. Our trainers have been doing a phenomenal job with me so I'm ready to get back out there more than ever. I'll just leave it at that. You guys will see," Daniels said.

This is as much about culture then it is about cash.
Yep at a $10.5 million cap number for 2019 this was easy to see coming. He has been hurt last couple years and was not going to be part of Packers future plans. He was a good but not dominate player. The players the Packers added in the off-season made this move easy for the team to make.

Pretty surprising, but not the end of the world. He hasn't been all that great and he's only getting older and slower.

Listening to Mike Clemons on WSSP and he thinks it's an injury issue. Foot still a major problem and can't even get in 11 on 11 in shorts. Packers were shopping him and teams weren't even willing to take him because they don't know when he'll be ready.

Thought Silversteeen was nuts back in April.....guess not.
Kenny Clark about to get paid ? Lowry signing had interesting timing.
Josh Sitton Redux ?
Montravius about to arrive !! Kenny Clark said he's been the biggest surprise this off season !!
Whatever the case, Gutekunst and Pettine are building by their preferred design.

Thought Silversteeen was nuts back in April.....guess not.
Kenny Clark about to get paid ? Lowry signing had interesting timing.
Josh Sitton Redux ?
Montravius about to arrive !! Kenny Clark said he's been the biggest surprise this off season !!
Whatever the case, Gutekunst and Pettine are building by their preferred design.
Adams man there is a guy you totally forget about. High draft pick who has done nothing in 2 years.

Adams man there is a guy you totally forget about. High draft pick who has done nothing in 2 years.

just a little something to think about: mike daniels was a total non-factor in his first two season also. d-linemen can take a while to develop. eventually daniels' peers voted him one of the top 100 players in the nfl in 2016, 2017, and 2018. we can only hope that montravius takes a similar path.

One of the strongest players on our DL becomes the weakest link in just two seasons.... Good testament to the size & talent Gutey has loaded that DL with in the same span.

I can't disagree with this move, especially with the $8M cap savings, and descending production and health. How many DL can we keep? This roster is loaded, even without Daniels. Kingsley Keke was a great pick. Tyler Lancaster is huge and looking to get to the QB more this season. Montravius Adams is improving, Lowry is high production, Brown and Simon competing, and the superstar of our DL, Clark, needs an extension.

Every player left on this DL is bigger, faster and more versatile than what Daniels was bringing

Back