2024 Badger Football Thread

The question really is whether or not Fickell will stay long in Madison. He has the credentials to coach a team with aspirations for the playoffs, and if Wisconsin supporters don't pony up the money through NIL, he's going to end up going somewhere where they can and will. When it happens, we can't blame him. Who wouldn't want to make it to the top.
Correct... this isn't 1995

Don't accept mediocrity.

That's why we got rid of Christ.

Bielemna has turned IL around. IL!!!!!!

All these BS excuses as to why we Bucky isn't succeeding are BS!!!!!!!

It is and as long as people find reasons to explain Bucky athleticsv, we won't succeed.
See above this isn't 1995.... CFB isn't this BS you keep bellowing about every other day. UW isn't Illinois whose academic standards are as low as a piece of dead wood.

Van Dyke news is horrible.

Does he have the ability to Red Shirt and come back?

And, this is mean and tuff, do we want him to?

Van Dyke news is horrible.

Does he have the ability to Red Shirt and come back?

And, this is mean and tuff, do we want him to?
Yes. Van Dyke is eligible for a medical red shirt from what I understand. The question is whether or not he wants to do it. He's 23 now, and would be 25 when the 2026 draft took place. It would almost make it impossible for him to be picked by anyone, with this youth movement we're seeing.

To be honest, I think they're going to move on, and so will Tyler. What Mark has brought up, about Longo not being there next year, and going to more of a pro set makes sense to be honest. If the Badgers want to be able to be somewhat competitive in recruiting skill position players, it would benefit them in that market. The more of a training grounds your program is for the pros, the more interest you'll see in players that are sincerely pro material.

Yet, no matter what, the NIL money is an issue. You either have it out there for players, or they'll go elsewhere.

I still think getting 4 more wins this year with Locke could be a tall order. If UW fails to get to a bowl game for the first time in over 20 years fans will be losing their minds saying Fickell sucks fire him. We know that won't happen but we know the fans will then say the AD should be fired also because he hired and won't fire him. I told one guy Fickell is rebuilding this team it takes time. He said you can use the transfer portal so it should not take any time. I swear some of these fans think that you can just be good with a wave of the hand. While you have the portal most of the kids in the portal are in it because they are not good enough to stay with the team they left so you are getting kids that won't make a difference. The ones that are good are often looking to get paid and schools with large NIL dollars to spend will be getting them. I think the rational fans know it's going to be 2026 before Fickell seat will start to get hot if this team has not yet found a way to turn the corner.

Coach Fick's seat is hot.

Now that we've recruited 3 years for Air Raid, how do we 180 to a Pro Style without setting the program back at least 3 more seasons again. I think we are stuck on a course, we will either crash through the iceberg or sink like the Titanic.

But, again, how can we not recruit a quarterback and recievers who maybe can't break a big play but at least catch the ball and move the chains?

Tough years for Bucky ahead.

Coach Fick's seat is hot.

Now that we've recruited 3 years for Air Raid, how do we 180 to a Pro Style without setting the program back at least 3 more seasons again. I think we are stuck on a course, we will either crash through the iceberg or sink like the Titanic.

But, again, how can we not recruit a quarterback and recievers who maybe can't break a big play but at least catch the ball and move the chains?

Tough years for Bucky ahead.
This was only Fickell's 1st full year recuriting. He came in late in the game last year. Lot of his recurits are still not on campus yet he's still playing with a lot of PC's guys.

He had a recruiting season before his first start, then last year. And, now, so it's really about 2 recruiting the Air Raid. I think it would be a big pivot to change.

I know everything is different now, but I believe our quarterbacks and receivers should be at least mid level in the Big 10 and they never are - usually needing a huge lift to get to mid level.

Most of this is pre Coach Fick.

Maybe we just have to play the young guys recruited for tge Air Raid and let them take their lumps

He had a recruiting season before his first start, then last year. And, now, so it's really about 2 recruiting the Air Raid. I think it would be a big pivot to change.

I know everything is different now, but I believe our quarterbacks and receivers should be at least mid level in the Big 10 and they never are - usually needing a huge lift to get to mid level.

Maybe we just have to play the young guys recruited for tge Air Raid and let them take their lumps
Mettauer is his first QB recurit and he's just a true freshman. He's brought in now two QB transfers. Tranfser QB's pretty much suck because they are either grad transfers or were not good enough to beat out the guy ahead of him.

Reactions: TW

The Air Raid offense is a passing offense. You need a QB who is dead nuts accurate on the throws, and pass catchers who have speed up the ying-yang. Since it's a spread offense, that one on on coverage and zones on defense need to be manned by darned good players to stop it from succeeding. To me, it also takes a QB who thinks, and knows how to see his reads out there, because a lot of the throws are timing, and the ball is in the air before the receiver even makes a cut in a lot of instances. Therefore, that receiver had better run a precise route, and know that he has himself in a position to make the catch, and not let it get to a defender in front of him or behind him. I might add, I want a QB who is quick on his feet. I don't want him trapped if there is nobody downfield to throw to.

As far as the run, there will never be top RBs heading to your school to play RB, unless the guy is more of a receiver/blocker, than a guy carrying the mail. But still, you need one or two pile driver who can get you that two to three yards to get that first down.

Air Raid is fast. Quick action on the field. The Pro offense is slower, and more methodical. Blocking is more intricate, and running backs are at a premium. The QBs also have to be guys who can work the system the way intended.

Comparing the QBs in the systems. The Air Raid QB is like a frisky two-year-old race horse, who wants to get out there and gallop. The pro set QB is more of the veteran, who's eyeing the filly's over in the other pen, thinking that if he can win a few more races, some of them are going to be his.

Back