2024 Badger Football Thread

The Air Raid offense is a passing offense. You need a QB who is dead nuts accurate on the throws, and pass catchers who have speed up the ying-yang. Since it's a spread offense, that one on on coverage and zones on defense need to be manned by darned good players to stop it from succeeding. To me, it also takes a QB who thinks, and knows how to see his reads out there, because a lot of the throws are timing, and the ball is in the air before the receiver even makes a cut in a lot of instances. Therefore, that receiver had better run a precise route, and know that he has himself in a position to make the catch, and not let it get to a defender in front of him or behind him. I might add, I want a QB who is quick on his feet. I don't want him trapped if there is nobody downfield to throw to.

As far as the run, there will never be top RBs heading to your school to play RB, unless the guy is more of a receiver/blocker, than a guy carrying the mail. But still, you need one or two pile driver who can get you that two to three yards to get that first down.

Air Raid is fast. Quick action on the field. The Pro offense is slower, and more methodical. Blocking is more intricate, and running backs are at a premium. The QBs also have to be guys who can work the system the way intended.

Comparing the QBs in the systems. The Air Raid QB is like a frisky two-year-old race horse, who wants to get out there and gallop. The pro set QB is more of the veteran, who's eyeing the filly's over in the other pen, thinking that if he can win a few more races, some of them are going to be his.
Agree with everything you're saying, but we don't appear to have the horses to even plow a field.

Agree with everything you're saying, but we don't appear to have the horses to even plow a field.
Some are there already. Others will be brought in. But remember, we have to temper our judgment on how far this goes based on the NIL money that's out there. It needs to be substantial to get the guys they want/need, in house. If you look at what they have, a lot of it is transfer guys, who they're relying on having game experience to make it work.

Be patient grass hopper! ;)

Some are there already. Others will be brought in. But remember, we have to temper our judgment on how far this goes based on the NIL money that's out there. It needs to be substantial to get the guys they want/need, in house. If you look at what they have, a lot of it is transfer guys, who they're relying on having game experience to make it work.

Be patient grass hopper! ;)
I'll try.

I know we won't compete with NIL money against UT or other TX schools and many in the SEC, and Ohio State, MI, USC, OR, Penn State in the Big 10, but, Holy Cow. This is really depressing. We barely beat Western MI and whoever, we probably are not going to have an easy game and may not be favored for the rest of the year. I know that Chryst left the cupboards pretty bare, but there are a lot of schools that seem to be steering the course through this better than WI. Maybe we just are the also rans needed to fill a schedule. If it's that bad, Coach Fick will be jumping ship soon.

I hooe this article is not correct. I hope there is not friction between Coach Fick and Coach Longo. I hope this is just a writer who is as frustrated as me.

Fickell can tell we don't have the horses to run a air raid. Even more so now that our QB's are not a fit and our WR's are poor quality. Just overall the talent on offense is poor. The running game is probably what is best on offense.

Fickell can tell we don't have the horses to run a air raid. Even more so now that our QB's are not a fit and our WR's are poor quality. Just overall the talent on offense is poor. The running game is probably what is best on offense.
Unfortunately and miserably so, that appears to be the case. But, I'm hoping that Coach Fick and Coach Longo are on the same page in a difficult transition.

And, I hate to say it, but what if Coach Fick is just not unloosing the hounds? Sometimes, if you're going to do something, you just have to do it - even if you're not very good at it.

Something, is not clicking. Hope it gets fixed

Last edited:
Back