Jay Bilas Top 68 Hoops Teams—-Perspective

That's an interesting point on a PG coming in from another program. The way things are playing out, there's a good chance someone will be out there who can provide that leadership. Let's hope they're working on that theory, quietly, behind the scenes.
In perfect world the staff would like to add a PG and one PF type for next year. Assuming no transfers come in projected lineup PG- Hepburn SG - Davis F- Carlson F- Wahl F- Crowl.

In perfect world the staff would like to add a PG and one PF type for next year. Assuming no transfers come in projected lineup PG- Hepburn SG - Davis F- Carlson F- Wahl F- Crowl.
With only two people having any appreciable experience, it's going to be a tough row to hoe. Wahl needs to put some muscle on, and Davis needs to just continue to grow. If Hepburn is as good as some people think, they won't miss a beat. But, that's if he's that good. I've read some of the info on games this season and he can put up points when needed, that's for sure. He's a bit spotty in accuracy with his 3s, but inside the ring, he's a solid shot maker who could average 50%.

With only two people having any appreciable experience, it's going to be a tough row to hoe. Wahl needs to put some muscle on, and Davis needs to just continue to grow. If Hepburn is as good as some people think, they won't miss a beat. But, that's if he's that good. I've read some of the info on games this season and he can put up points when needed, that's for sure. He's a bit spotty in accuracy with his 3s, but inside the ring, he's a solid shot maker who could average 50%.
I actually think Hepburn will be ok but freshman in this conference is never a given. And let’s be honest the only guy with range is Trice and he’s gone probably. Carlson and Davis probably will carry this team at least early. Not as concerned about Wahl as I am Crowl which is why an experienced big might be more important than an experienced PG. it’s going to be fun to watch

I actually think Hepburn will be ok but freshman in this conference is never a given. And let’s be honest the only guy with range is Trice and he’s gone probably. Carlson and Davis probably will carry this team at least early. Not as concerned about Wahl as I am Crowl which is why an experienced big might be more important than an experienced PG. it’s going to be fun to watch
Enter Potter as a possible hold over? At least it would be some offense from the post. Give Crowl a chance to develop. He sure hasn't been given any time on the court this year.

Enter Potter as a possible hold over? At least it would be some offense from the post. Give Crowl a chance to develop. He sure hasn't been given any time on the court this year.
I would be open to it. My gut is all the seniors are gone. Only one I know 100% sure is Reuvers

I'm a little iffy on Carlson. I don't really know what his injury was, and what it will do to his game. I do know he needs to learn to go straight up to block shots. He keeps dipping his hands, and that instantly draws fouls.

I'm a little iffy on Carlson. I don't really know what his injury was, and what it will do to his game. I do know he needs to learn to go straight up to block shots. He keeps dipping his hands, and that instantly draws fouls.
Its a lower back issue but he is practicing now. I am really bullish on this kid, perfect for the system and will get stronger. I get your issue and agree but hes a freshman and as Al McGuire once said the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores

• Haha
Reactions: TW
Its a lower back issue but he is practicing now. I am really bullish on this kid, perfect for the system and will get stronger. I get your issue and agree but hes a freshman and as Al McGuire once said the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores

I'm an Al McGuire fan. Have been since I met him back in 1968. He attended a St. Catherine's game in Racine to watch Jimmy Chones play. Jimmy, being about 6-11, was a real lanky kid and one of the guys on our softball team said we should try to grab Jimmy to play 1B. He had those long arms. So, since he knew him, because his brother played for St. Cat's, we started attending their games and got hooked. One helluva team.

After the game, McGuire had been sitting next to us, decided to join us for a pizza at Wells Brothers in Racine. He wanted to have our opinion of Jimmy, who had transferred to St. Cat's from Racine Park. We had nothing to say but good. The kid played smooth for someone near 7-0 tall.

Throughout our conversation, Al kept referring to Jimmy as an "aircraft carrier." He said it repeatedly. Then he added, smiling, "Imagine him on the court With Dean Memminger." In 1971, they both hit over 50% of their shots, and the Warriors damned near won the NCAA. They lost to Ohio State in the semi-finals by one lousy point.

To me, having met Al, and having known Jimmy as well, I'll always remember the statement Al made that all teams need at least one aircraft carrier out there, or they aren't going to win enough games to make it to the top.

Thanks for mentioning Al. I love going back in time. I've done so much, and met so many people, and a lot of it escapes me.

I'm an Al McGuire fan. Have been since I met him back in 1968. He attended a St. Catherine's game in Racine to watch Jimmy Chones play. Jimmy, being about 6-11, was a real lanky kid and one of the guys on our softball team said we should try to grab Jimmy to play 1B. He had those long arms. So, since he knew him, because his brother played for St. Cat's, we started attending their games and got hooked. One helluva team.

After the game, McGuire had been sitting next to us, decided to join us for a pizza at Wells Brothers in Racine. He wanted to have our opinion of Jimmy, who had transferred to St. Cat's from Racine Park. We had nothing to say but good. The kid played smooth for someone near 7-0 tall.

Throughout our conversation, Al kept referring to Jimmy as an "aircraft carrier." He said it repeatedly. Then he added, smiling, "Imagine him on the court With Dean Memminger." In 1971, they both hit over 50% of their shots, and the Warriors damned near won the NCAA. They lost to Ohio State in the semi-finals by one lousy point.

To me, having met Al, and having known Jimmy as well, I'll always remember the statement Al made that all teams need at least one aircraft carrier out there, or they aren't going to win enough games to make it to the top.

Thanks for mentioning Al. I love going back in time. I've done so much, and met so many people, and a lot of it escapes me.
Al was a one in a kind. My GF in college went to Marquette and lived across from the players dorm, about 5th and Wells. I remember Whitehead, Tatum and Butch Lee in the food line for lunch. As a side note I was writing my paper, was a journalism major at the time, about illegal recruiting in college athletics. I reached out to Hank Raymond’s who was Al’s assistant. He wrote me back with a personal note and enclosed a NCAA rules guide for recruiting. I was forever grateful. I attended McGuires hoops camp in Delafield, Al was never there. He let Rick Majarus run it

Reactions: TW
Back