Jay Bilas Top 68 Hoops Teams—-Perspective

here we go with the "Gard can't recruit"....this is the same team that won the conference last year. Recruiting is no different now than it was with Ryan and next years class is arguable the best in the last 10 years
It is a good class, assuming that they all end up actually coming to Wisconsin. I wonder if any of them will have second thoughts.

It isn't Gard's recruiting that I personally doubt. It's his actual decision making as a coach. He may have gotten caught up in this two man show he's trying to run, and isn't able to right the ship. Watching games right now is frustrating. You can tell what's going to happen next.

As for the Brad Davison situation, He gives as good as he gets. Players have taken cheap shots on him regularly, and he fires back. If that's being a dirty player, so be it. If it's something in the locker room, or on campus, I know nothing about it.

It is a good class, assuming that they all end up actually coming to Wisconsin. I wonder if any of them will have second thoughts.

It isn't Gard's recruiting that I personally doubt. It's his actual decision making as a coach. He may have gotten caught up in this two man show he's trying to run, and isn't able to right the ship. Watching games right now is frustrating. You can tell what's going to happen next.

As for the Brad Davison situation, He gives as good as he gets. Players have taken cheap shots on him regularly, and he fires back. If that's being a dirty player, so be it. If it's something in the locker room, or on campus, I know nothing about it.
My bitch on Davison is that he seem more worried about the calls than playing the game, his decision making is just horrible. against Illinois he launched 2 20 foot 2 point shots with about 20 on the shot clock, thats just poor execution. Just watch his spacing on breaks, it horrible....

Whats frustrating to me is Potter and Reuvers, missing shots happens and so does missing open looks. But vs Michigan Potter and Reuvers has ZERO rebounds...ZERO. When is the last time Potter played weak side defense? Or Reuvers challenged a big down low? Both are getting thrown around. And again I will get back to depth...

zero indication there are issues and they get Bowman and Carlson back also

just like football this entire season seems like an outlier in many ways not just Wisconsin. Look at Duke, UNC, MSU, Kentucky. Games cancelled, schedules changing during the season, no fans. Look at how Illinois destroyed Michigan last night. Not trying to make an excuse but its not a "normal" season

zero indication there are issues and they get Bowman and Carlson back also

Yup. The top-3 guys for 2021 already signed their LOI's so those "deals" are essentially done. The 4th member of the class is Markus Ilver, a European kid playing prep school ball in the US. Maybe he could change his mind but he's a bonus at this point. No indication he won't sign his LOI this spring.

It'll be interesting to see how these last 2 classes mesh and develop over the next 2 seasons. Nice combo of bigs and guards. It'll be a young group depending on how many seniors come back. I think these 2 classes will tell us Gard's future over the next 3 years.

Reactions: TW
Yup. The top-3 guys for 2021 already signed their LOI's so those "deals" are essentially done. The 4th member of the class is Markus Ilver, a European kid playing prep school ball in the US. Maybe he could change his mind but he's a bonus at this point. No indication he won't sign his LOI this spring.

It'll be interesting to see how these last 2 classes mesh and develop over the next 2 seasons. Nice combo of bigs and guards. It'll be a young group depending on how many seniors come back. I think these 2 classes will tell us Gard's future over the next 3 years.
I truly hope the seniors don’t come back. Maybe Trice to help transition at PG but that’s it. Essentially Carlson gets RS for this year which helps. It’s a young group next year so might be some struggles but long term it’s a better situation

All they need to do next year - in my opinion - is show up and develop their game. The W/L record won't be nearly as important as the way they grow. To me, it's the first time Gard has had to deal with empty shelves, for the most part, and create a team that can win. Certainly, on paper, they look like they can be a solid contender after one year of development.

That said, like 57packer said, this is going to be a test of Gard, and his real coaching future in Madison.

I have mixed emotions on guys coming back who are seniors. In a way, I'd like to see them there, but I think it would hurt the future development quite a bit, and if they end up sitting on the bench, that's going to cause a lot of friction on the team.

Packinatl might be right. In fact, I don't want to see Trice come back at all. I just don't think it would benefit the team's transition.

All they need to do next year - in my opinion - is show up and develop their game. The W/L record won't be nearly as important as the way they grow. To me, it's the first time Gard has had to deal with empty shelves, for the most part, and create a team that can win. Certainly, on paper, they look like they can be a solid contender after one year of development.

That said, like 57packer said, this is going to be a test of Gard, and his real coaching future in Madison.

I have mixed emotions on guys coming back who are seniors. In a way, I'd like to see them there, but I think it would hurt the future development quite a bit, and if they end up sitting on the bench, that's going to cause a lot of friction on the team.

Packinatl might be right. In fact, I don't want to see Trice come back at all. I just don't think it would benefit the team's transition.
My thing with Trice is that you have no experienced depth at PG but you have youth and upside. i can see both sides of that but lean no. I have heard some chatter of a JC or grad transfer to play point but noting solid yet.

Reactions: TW
My thing with Trice is that you have no experienced depth at PG but you have youth and upside. i can see both sides of that but lean no. I have heard some chatter of a JC or grad transfer to play point but noting solid yet.
That's an interesting point on a PG coming in from another program. The way things are playing out, there's a good chance someone will be out there who can provide that leadership. Let's hope they're working on that theory, quietly, behind the scenes.

One of the things that I've wondered about is if the players feel that they've been pretty much told to "move along," after this season, and don't have the drive to play their best game. If they were told that they really don't want them back, it can play games with a person's psyche.

That's an interesting point on a PG coming in from another program. The way things are playing out, there's a good chance someone will be out there who can provide that leadership. Let's hope they're working on that theory, quietly, behind the scenes.

One of the things that I've wondered about is if the players feel that they've been pretty much told to "move along," after this season, and don't have the drive to play their best game. If they were told that they really don't want them back, it can play games with a person's psyche.
Reuvers is gone , 100% lock. As to the other 4 I don’t think any ultimatum was made. That said as I mentioned in an article on ESPN+ lot of kids are just done with the Covid stuff and just want out. It did not single any school or player out. I just feel that’s a factor

Back