Jay Bilas Top 68 Hoops Teams—-Perspective

Does Borowski have a axe to grind vs UW or is he just that inept?
I think it's both. He doesn't like the Badgers, and worse, he seems to have decided a long time ago that he was going to be judge, jury, and executioner on any player that he deems "not playing the way he sees that they should."

I think it's both. He doesn't like the Badgers, and worse, he seems to have decided a long time ago that he was going to be judge, jury, and executioner on any player that he deems "not playing the way he sees that they should."
More inept, just me. The Director of Officiating left to go to the SEC, longtime B1G refs Terry Wymer and Terry Oglesby went to the SEC also. So more Bo. But with the hook and hold thing that’s on the guys who write the rules also.

I admit to not being a basketball rules officianado. Based on the gripes about Davison, I thought 'hook and hold dealt with a player hooking another to slingshot around them like through a screen.

But, I looked it up and it appears to be as Gard said related to post play and rebounding and requires a 'clamping down' with the offenders arm.

I don't know how they got Davison clamping down.

So it appears to be social media regarding a few plays creating an image and influencing a bad ref.

Gard should have stood up earlier.

I admit to not being a basketball rules officianado. Based on the gripes about Davison, I thought 'hook and hold dealt with a player hooking another to slingshot around them like through a screen.

But, I looked it up and it appears to be as Gard said related to post play and rebounding and requires a 'clamping down' with the offenders arm.

I don't know how they got Davison clamping down.

So it appears to be social media regarding a few plays creating an image and influencing a bad ref.

Gard should have stood up earlier.
It’s the way the rule is interpreted. The hook & hold call @ Illinois was legit. Davison locked in on Cockburns arm and held him on a rebound. The call yesterday was on a fast break. Totally different situation. It can also be called on a pick but that should be a offensive foul anyway so not as subjective. Dirty play no, but like in football or any sport you push the envelope how much you can get away with.

As to Gard, while the focus was on Davison my sense is his frustration spilled over with the calls on Trice and Davis.

It’s the way the rule is interpreted. The hook & hold call @ Illinois was legit. Davison locked in on Cockburns arm and held him on a rebound. The call yesterday was on a fast break. Totally different situation. It can also be called on a pick but that should be a offensive foul anyway so not as subjective. Dirty play no, but like in football or any sport you push the envelope how much you can get away with.

As to Gard, while the focus was on Davison my sense is his frustration spilled over with the calls on Trice and Davis.
Agreed.

But, Gard said he hadn't even seen the Trice foul. He's going to blow his stack

Agreed.

But, Gard said he hadn't even seen the Trice foul. He's going to blow his stack
He blew his stack at the presser.....he saw the foul lets not be naive it was in the open court

Back