Jay Bilas Top 68 Hoops Teams—-Perspective

From WTMJ, might not be a popular take but it goes a bit to my point. >>>

If Brad Davison is being targeted and victimized by the Big Ten, as you say, then why are we having a conversation about him every two weeks?

The Badgers senior has been the instigator of countless controversial plays over the course of his 4 years in Madison.

Tripping players, punches below the belt, hooks and holds, flops…all defended by the Badgers’ program under the façade of hard work and effort.

It’s a fiction.

You can get away with it once, but not for 4 years.

This is the market correcting itself.

Brad Davison was called for a ticky-tack hook and hold on Sunday that cost Wisconsin a chance to win the game.

The officials are watching him closer than they do other players.

That’s because he’s earned that reputation.

Quit asking for the benefit of the doubt.

That ship sailed a long time ago.

And one more point. The Hook & hold on Davison is getting for attention but too me other calls stood out more
- The “charge “ on Davis was horrible. Garza shifted. And that was the 2nd on Davis and took him to the bench
- Bohannon clearly pushed Trice on the step back 3, no call
- The 5th personal on Trice was a joke. And right in front of Borowski. The 4th was ticky tack also.

Davison also got it with a hook & hold @ Illinois that was border line but the right call.

The issues with officiating clearly fall on Borowski. The numbers tell the story

In most ways, we're pretty much in agreement. Borowski is a serious problem. He's not an impartial official. I agree too that Davison's game has been affected by the calls over the last three years. It's thrown his game in the dumpster to be honest, and it's all because of a handful of people who said that Davison was a dirty player. The tag was placed on him and opposing coaches and officials have gone after him ever since.

The tag wasn't deserved. Davison was only fighting back against people who were taking cheap shots against him. They'd not be called, and when he muscled up on them, he'd end up getting the call against him.

This is what I've been talking about for three years, and finally Gard has had something to say about it. He even alluded to it being an ongoing thing, and totally inappropriate and wrong.

That said, I'd like to see Davison come back for one more year, where he gets fair officiating like anyone else, and let's see just how damned good this kid really is. What he showed as a freshman was enormous. But it was like he was the upstart who dared to challenge the norm. He found the lanes, and planted himself in them, to force shots to change. That's just plain good defense, not a reason to be attacked like has happened.

In most ways, we're pretty much in agreement. Borowski is a serious problem. He's not an impartial official. I agree too that Davison's game has been affected by the calls over the last three years. It's thrown his game in the dumpster to be honest, and it's all because of a handful of people who said that Davison was a dirty player. The tag was placed on him and opposing coaches and officials have gone after him ever since.

The tag wasn't deserved. Davison was only fighting back against people who were taking cheap shots against him. They'd not be called, and when he muscled up on them, he'd end up getting the call against him.

This is what I've been talking about for three years, and finally Gard has had something to say about it. He even alluded to it being an ongoing thing, and totally inappropriate and wrong.

That said, I'd like to see Davison come back for one more year, where he gets fair officiating like anyone else, and let's see just how damned good this kid really is. What he showed as a freshman was enormous. But it was like he was the upstart who dared to challenge the norm. He found the lanes, and planted himself in them, to force shots to change. That's just plain good defense, not a reason to be attacked like has happened.
You don't fight back with some low blows (visible on TV). At times his football mentality kicks in, I get it. This is not just about taking a charge

You give as good as you get. Don't take a handful of incidences and turn them into a full on frontal attack. That's what they did against Davison. He was taking elbow shots to the mouth, guys going at him, intentionally throwing a knee into his crotch when he was trying to take a charge, and being given elbow to the rib shots on a regular basis, because he was a disruption.

All you pointed out is one side of the issue. The ones the anti-Davison people want to have people see, not the whole story.

You give as good as you get. Don't take a handful of incidences and turn them into a full on frontal attack. That's what they did against Davison. He was taking elbow shots to the mouth, guys going at him, intentionally throwing a knee into his crotch when he was trying to take a charge, and being given elbow to the rib shots on a regular basis, because he was a disruption.

All you pointed out is one side of the issue. The ones the anti-Davison people want to have people see, not the whole story.
I am as big of UW homer as they come but some of his stuff rubbed me the wrong way going back to the last 2 years. Sure he's taken and dished out some has been a bit overboard. At some point you have to learn to let it ride and play. Ive had guys nail me with a knee but that did not give me license to punch someone in jewels.

Again 90% of the issue is the hook and hold rule, not taking a charge or flop. Sorry but he's earned his rep, and as a senior you have to be smarter and play thru it.

I'm afraid I saw it the opposite way since the time he was a sophomore. I did see two cheap shots on his part, but that doesn't make a career. It was two incidents, and it was played up as being a nasty career. That's not legitimate. I've seen a lot of players take cheap shots at one time or another. It isn't hung on them as a lifetime rap.

This attack against him is pure BS, and I think Gard pretty well spelled it out.

In the Purdue game, he took a forearm to the throat that was intentional, right in front of an official, and they did nothing. That's typical of how they call them when it comes to Davison.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I just hope things change for the Badgers when they play in the tourney.

I'm afraid I saw it the opposite way since the time he was a sophomore. I did see two cheap shots on his part, but that doesn't make a career. It was two incidents, and it was played up as being a nasty career. That's not legitimate. I've seen a lot of players take cheap shots at one time or another. It isn't hung on them as a lifetime rap.

This attack against him is pure BS, and I think Gard pretty well spelled it out.

In the Purdue game, he took a forearm to the throat that was intentional, right in front of an official, and they did nothing. That's typical of how they call them when it comes to Davison.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I just hope things change for the Badgers when they play in the tourney.
Players get reps. You know that as well as anyone. So did Bruesewitz, so did Krabbenhoft. Played very similar styles to Davison. I know I’m beating a dead horse but the real issue here is the hook and hold rule. It’s a bad rule, officiated worse and not called consistently. He’s now done it yesterday (questionable) and vs Illinois (not so questionable). And even yesterday why hook or even put yourself in that spot on offense, I get it on defense. Hit again my bigger bitch about yesterday were the calls on Trice and Davis

Reactions: TW
Sorry not buying that 100%. I get that he is a “target” but his rep was flops not the “hook and hold”. And the call that impacted the game more was a phantom call on Trice also. Does not excuse Borowski at all
You haven't seen the groin hook photos and bitching.

I agree it's overblown, but he's my guy.

And, I'm still glad Gard stuck up for him. Wish he would have done it earlier.

Does Borowski have a axe to grind vs UW or is he just that inept?

Back