Jay Bilas Top 68 Hoops Teams—-Perspective

It's not necessarily the number of losses that bothers me. That team never seemed to lose focus. This year's version does lose focus all too often.

I agree that our bench isn't there, but in all honesty, our starters aren't really making their mark well enough to bring the bench into play.

What I can't figure out is how the three players I mentioned earlier just seem to have lost their game. It just doesn't make sense! What happened? They aren't nearly as good as they were two years ago.
One other thing that has to impact every team is the stop / start and scheduling due to Covid. No explanation how Iowa can lose both to Indiana or how they take Illinois to OT. Look at MSU. That is not a 4-7 team in conference. Today Minnesota plays at 4pm? Not normal. UW game last night was moved up. Hell look nationally at Kansas, Duke , Kentucky. Like football out of sync year

This Badgers team is just not very good. with one game left in season against a ranked team they are 1-7 on the year vs ranked teams with their quality win of the year coming against Loyola. With playing a top 5 Iowa team to finish the season they will likely finish 1-8 vs ranked teams and a 10-10 big Ten record and a 16-11 record overall. This team has been below average this year. Their last win vs a winning team was when back on Jan. 27th they beat a 9-7 Maryland team. This is a team that pretty much only can beat the bad teams teams it faces. If the Badgers lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the Big Ten tourney I think they should be left out of the NCAA tourney and sent to the NIT. Though even if they make the NCAA tourney they will probably be a 9 or 10 seed and out in the 1st round.

This Badgers team is just not very good. with one game left in season against a ranked team they are 1-7 on the year vs ranked teams with their quality win of the year coming against Loyola. With playing a top 5 Iowa team to finish the season they will likely finish 1-8 vs ranked teams and a 10-10 big Ten record and a 16-11 record overall. This team has been below average this year. Their last win vs a winning team was when back on Jan. 27th they beat a 9-7 Maryland team. This is a team that pretty much only can beat the bad teams teams it faces. If the Badgers lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the Big Ten tourney I think they should be left out of the NCAA tourney and sent to the NIT. Though even if they make the NCAA tourney they will probably be a 9 or 10 seed and out in the 1st round.
#1 they are not going to the NIT.....lets get that out of the way. They have a NET ranking of 25

Now lets chat about why this team has not played well and not just look at box scores for answers

-This team both individually and as a group has not shot the ball well from 3. Potter and Ford have fallen off from 3 and Reuvers has fallen off the cliff. Davison is shooting about 25% from 2...that pretty much sums up the shooting but its more than missed shots

-Purdue outscored UW 36-20 in the paint. Thats not going to win many games. And some of the "luck" is not going their way. Wheeler is shooting 22% from 3 and hits 3-3 last night and the defense was not bad

-Shot selection as been well, inconsistent. In the ILL game Davison launched 2 long 2's with 20 seconds plus on the shot clock. For a senior thats unacceptably bad selection.

-Reuvers is getting manhandled down low. The next time Potter plays ball screen defense will be the first.

-The lack of an interior game on offense has impacted how this team shoots from 3. Its not strong at the rim (Potter / Reuvers) and Wahl is just not strong enough yet to finish.

Bottom line this is not a bad team. Its a good team that IF they can get shots to drop from 3 could make a mini run, or at least get back to historical shooting numbers Depth is an issue and that does not help. Guess is 6-7 seed any this point the conference is that good, it will have 4 teams getting 1 or 2 seeds.

Not the season they expected but leaving them out of the NCAA tourney won't make sense to the selection committee. They have played an extremely tough schedule. There simply aren't 64 better teams than Wisconsin.

The formula for beating them is pretty clear. They aren't a very creative group on offense and mostly have to rely on shooting 3's. Play decent defense and harass the shooters a bit and when they don't hit shots from 3 they're done. Davison and Reuvers have regressed significantly this year and it's really killing the offense.

Still, there are plenty of middle of the pack teams in the 64 team field that they can beat in the first round. Of course, in the round of 32 they'll likely need to beat a high seed and that will most likely end their season.

#1 they are not going to the NIT.....lets get that out of the way. They have a NET ranking of 25

Now lets chat about why this team has not played well and not just look at box scores for answers

-This team both individually and as a group has not shot the ball well from 3. Potter and Ford have fallen off from 3 and Reuvers has fallen off the cliff. Davison is shooting about 25% from 2...that pretty much sums up the shooting but its more than missed shots

-Purdue outscored UW 36-20 in the paint. Thats not going to win many games. And some of the "luck" is not going their way. Wheeler is shooting 22% from 3 and hits 3-3 last night and the defense was not bad

-Shot selection as been well, inconsistent. In the ILL game Davison launched 2 long 2's with 20 seconds plus on the shot clock. For a senior thats unacceptably bad selection.

-Reuvers is getting manhandled down low. The next time Potter plays ball screen defense will be the first.

-The lack of an interior game on offense has impacted how this team shoots from 3. Its not strong at the rim (Potter / Reuvers) and Wahl is just not strong enough yet to finish.

Bottom line this is not a bad team. Its a good team that IF they can get shots to drop from 3 could make a mini run, or at least get back to historical shooting numbers Depth is an issue and that does not help. Guess is 6-7 seed any this point the conference is that good, it will have 4 teams getting 1 or 2 seeds.
What the hell has happened to Reuvers this season? Fallen off a cliff is an understatement.
But I agree that the strength of the Big Ten masks how good this team really is - the conference is just so much better this season. And anything from a 5-8 seed, depending on how they do in the conference tourney, wouldn't surprise me.

Not the season they expected but leaving them out of the NCAA tourney won't make sense to the selection committee. They have played an extremely tough schedule. There simply aren't 64 better teams than Wisconsin.

The formula for beating them is pretty clear. They aren't a very creative group on offense and mostly have to rely on shooting 3's. Play decent defense and harass the shooters a bit and when they don't hit shots from 3 they're done. Davison and Reuvers have regressed significantly this year and it's really killing the offense.

Still, there are plenty of middle of the pack teams in the 64 team field that they can beat in the first round. Of course, in the round of 32 they'll likely need to beat a high seed and that will most likely end their season.
Your point about teams defending the 3 is really key and part of that is the offense is predicted on bigs hitting from 3 and we all know how that is playing out

What the hell has happened to Reuvers this season? Fallen off a cliff is an understatement.
But I agree that the strength of the Big Ten masks how good this team really is - the conference is just so much better this season. And anything from a 5-8 seed, depending on how they do in the conference tourney, wouldn't surprise me.
I’ve heard some theories from him not adjusting to the Covid protocols to just a simple confidence thing. It’s a mystery. The more I look back pairing him with Potter was a mistake, just from a pure offense flow but that does not excuse how he’s getting pushed around on defense.

Just saying that this team might be the most disappointing team in the Big Ten. They have no real quality wins. Heck at least all the other top 10 teams in the Big Ten have at least one quality win inside the big team besides UW.

Just saying that this team might be the most disappointing team in the Big Ten. They have no real quality wins. Heck at least all the other top 10 teams in the Big Ten have at least one quality win inside the big team besides UW.
They are not as disappointing as MSU. I don’t think you realize how good the conference is. This is not a bad team, just one that is in a prolonged shooting slump among other issues

They are not as disappointing as MSU. I don’t think you realize how good the conference is. This is not a bad team, just one that is in a prolonged shooting slump among other issues
MSU though at least has had some top 5 quality wins which locks them into the tourney. UW it's just at least give us some wins vs top 5 in the big ten not feast on the bottom feeders of the big ten.

Back