Wisconsin Football: The good, the bad, & the ugly vs. Michigan

I like Campbell just as much as you do but it’s another example of how far can a guy like that take you with limited resources. ISU is 3-2 this year, looked like crap and escaped vs Northern Iowa and was damn close to 2-3. I understand and agree on the culture thing but ISU is really in the same crossroads as 90% of P5 programs. Can they compete with Texas and / or Oklahoma year in and out in a old Big 12? Probably not. It’s one reason he’s out of Ames in the next 2-3 years because of its ceiling. Don’t blame him not the first guy. Won’t be the last.
But is that not 90% of coaches at a job until the next big thing comes along?

But is that not 90% of coaches at a job until the next big thing comes along?
Sure which is my point. There are only a few elite jobs out there for obvious reasons. Every school has its ceiling to some point if your not at that “blue blood “ level

You win you get players you can flash a bunch or rings kids will be like ooooo
not that simple anymore.... it's all about how they sell it. And to Packs point, you have to have the resources to sell to a wide variety of kids and often. UW just doesn't get it.

The Badgers seem to be a clan culture. All in the family, became inbred.

I think they dynamics of a coach can also open up doors for recruiting. The bigger your name in the media, the better chance you have of landing players. I'd bet that a call from Nick Saban has a lot more impact than if Chryst called, unless you're a Wisconsin area kid.

Charisma means a lot.
So does the fact that its Alabama, let's not forget that fact its a legacy school. Remember Saban was 48-16 at LSU, not earth-shattering. Barry had charisma, a lot...only goes so far

not that simple anymore.... it's all about how they sell it. And to Packs point, you have to have the resources to sell to a wide variety of kids and often. UW just doesn't get it.
I think some get it but it's not program wide to be honest. BB pushed the envelope in Madison, he only got so far

You win you get players you can flash a bunch or rings kids will be like ooooo
Kids have different reasons to commit, some like the flashy uniforms or stadium or academics, some just want a new experience. its not a broad brush

I think we can identify what the top athletes want from a school. It's not uniforms, stadiums, or academics. It's how well they can progress towards becoming a pro athlete. Which schools make that route easier, and can offer better training in the sport.

I just can't get behind the idea that the Jack Armstrong, American Boy, image is really what it's all about today. There are some going for the education, but it's not the dominating numbers we'd like to believe.

Wisconsin tries to sell that image, while schools like Penn State and Baylor move on, and become big time players, because nobody seems to give a rat's rear about that Sunday school bit.

By the way. I knew what I went to school for. Education finished in 4th place. It took me two go-rounds to get it done, the second after I was married, and had 3 kids. Sometimes priorities are different when you're a kid.

The Badgers seem to be a clan culture. All in the family, became inbred.
It's been Barrys program even when he got elevated to AD. The dynamics of that are complicated. Now how much of the resource and financial resource issues are from Blank who knows.

Back