Rodgers, The Packers and Reality

i've seen that bucs defense close a running lane in an instant. that 8-yards run in td was no lock (not to mention, 8 yards was from the line of scrimmage. it would have been an 11 yard run). and if you ask me, trying to run it in - that would have been the hero crap. throwing a pass is his job. trying to run it in would have been him trying to do it all. and if he didn't make it, people would have been crucifying him for trying to be the hero. even worse, he might have been injured in the process. that's my take.

note that your "all-in" was all defense. they also added turner who turned out to be pretty good. but no offensive weapons. so they went all-in on defense, and the defense still sucked. the offense had to put up at least 30 points per game to just have a chance to win.
And who do you add on offense that helps you beat Tampa from a FA perspective

i've seen that bucs defense close a running lane in an instant. that 8-yards run in td was no lock (not to mention, 8 yards was from the line of scrimmage. it would have been an 11 yard run). and if you ask me, trying to run it in - that would have been the hero crap. throwing a pass is his job. trying to run it in would have been him trying to do it all. and if he didn't make it, people would have been crucifying him for trying to be the hero. even worse, he might have been injured in the process. that's my take.
Even if he doesn’t make it, he likely picks up at least 3-5 yards. 4th and 3, ML is going for it. Bigger playbook. 4th and 8 against that D, there aren’t a ton of play options available. They just needed yards in that’s sequence.

And who do you add on offense that helps you beat Tampa from a FA perspective
i'm not going to play that game because no matter what name i mention, you're going to tell me all the reasons why that player sucks. i know there were several wide receivers that got picked up in free agency. the packers waited until they were all gone and then signed a guy who might have helped but decided that the covid risk was to great. i can't fault him for that, but he might have been just good enough to draw some of the triple coverage off of adams.

i'm not going to play that game because no matter what name i mention, you're going to tell me all the reasons why that player sucks. i know there were several wide receivers that got picked up in free agency. the packers waited until they were all gone and then signed a guy who might have helped but decided that the covid risk was to great. i can't fault him for that, but he might have been just good enough to draw some of the triple coverage off of adams.
Well who would you want that was available? Cobb? The list was posted in this thread

And if anyone of those WR could have played CB in the NFCCG I’m all in

Well who would you want that was available? Cobb? The list was posted in this thread

I do know that Sanders said he turned down a offer from GB as he did not want to play in the cold and wanted to be closer to family in NOLA. We don't know if GB made other offers that were turned down by other FAs

Is there a guarantee GB not wasting draft capital on Love and being able to draft a WR in the draft would have out them over the top?

No but you also can't discount the possibility that a decent WR who could be a reliable #2 could have been the difference in those three and outs after the turnovers and the draft was deep at WR..

Coulda woulda shoulda. Last year Gutey went to town. This year I wonder if Murphy and Ball put the kabash on any major FA movement.

Coulda woulda shoulda. Last year Gutey went to town. This year I wonder if Murphy and Ball put the kabash on any major FA movement.
2019 was like 3 years worth of UFA action in one. GB is still sensitive to cash in/cash out the door, it absolutely was a consideration last year and will be again this year, especially with the league revenue drop. I can't blame the team too much for that one, but that makes impactful draft picks all the more important because it represents the best chance at bang for your buck. That's where Gute has needed to shine and where he came up short last year.

Maybe a better WR than MVS/Lazard would've made a difference against the Bucs, but if a team is playing tight man coverage and doesn't have to worry about getting flagged by the refs for DPI or holding - not complaining, just a statement of fact - then it's really hard to get enough WR capable of winning consistently, and often the best thing the QB can do is just tuck the ball and run with it because all those D players have their back to you. Or in other words, even with a better #2 WR on 3rd and goal from the 8, Rodgers had one of the best looks he could hope for, which is the rush behind him and nothing at all in front of him.

Is there a guarantee GB not wasting draft capital on Love and being able to draft a WR in the draft would have out them over the top?

No but you also can't discount the possibility that a decent WR who could be a reliable #2 could have been the difference in those three and outs after the turnovers and the draft was deep at WR..

This organization has always been conservative when it comes to free agency and contracts in general. The difference in 2020 IMO is that Bak was their “free agent” priority. Also leaving some room to negotiate with Linsley & Jones.

As to the draft as we beat this dead horse one more time was not the drafting of Love but the trade up and losing draft capital. I know people love Claypool and rightfully so but round 1? Maybe Higgins you make that case or Pittman and that’s fair

and often the best thing the QB can do is just tuck the ball and run with it because all those D players have their back to you.
if you watch the video of the play, you will see that there are two defensive players running full speed behind him that are about one yard away from tackling him for a loss and a third player #80 running full speed across the field at an angle that would have met up with rodgers at about the five. two of the four defenders covering our receivers were situated between the receiver and rodgers and looking his direction. all five of these players had a very good chance of tackling rodgers well short of the goal line. let's not kid ourselves. rodgers is not exactly fleet of foot these days. maybe earlier in his career, but not now.

Back