Post Game: Green Bay Ties Minnesota 29-29

Over the course of a game there are bad calls, and missed calls. The problem is not that they happen, but when they happen, and what can and can't be done at the time it happens to correct mistakes.

A bad call during the first quarter is not really a game changer, but a bad call during the last 90 seconds of a game can completely change the outcome from what it should have been to what it is.

It isn't just the Packer game yesterday. It's way too many games being poorly called, and contributing strongly to the outcome.

If fans, coaches, players, and league officials chalk these bad calls up to; "It's part of the game," and continue on as if nothing has happened, the game will be further denigrated and lose more fans. Then, enter gambling, and what happens because of it. We're going to see something nearly as crooked as Don King boxing.

Over the course of a game there are bad calls, and missed calls. The problem is not that they happen, but when they happen, and what can and can't be done at the time it happens to correct mistakes.

A bad call during the first quarter is not really a game changer, but a bad call during the last 90 seconds of a game can completely change the outcome from what it should have been to what it is.

It isn't just the Packer game yesterday. It's way too many games being poorly called, and contributing strongly to the outcome.

If fans, coaches, players, and league officials chalk these bad calls up to; "It's part of the game," and continue on as if nothing has happened, the game will be further denigrated and lose more fans. Then, enter gambling, and what happens because of it. We're going to see something nearly as crooked as Don King boxing.

Roughing, like holding, will always be somewhat subjective. PI too. Those are impossible to be called uniformly. It's always been that way. But they keep changing things to protect the quarterback to the point where it's getting ridiculous. Remember when they tried the "in the grasp" rule? Not good. This wasn't one of the 3 new refs we had yesterday. This was a vet. We had our chances to win but we had the game won and lost on a call even honest Queens fans would admit was bull.

I totally agree that the Packers did not play well. I agree that they probably should have lost the game. But, despite that belief, the one thing that will always stand out about this game is that call against Matthews, which nearly everyone around the NFL has said was a bad call, did in fact decide the result. That was a 4th down play, and the Packers would have been able to run the clock out, and the Vikings would have never scored. So, despite the fact they played lousy, that play did directly effect the outcome of the game.

I am not bringing this up as an argument, or disagreement on how poorly they played, but as an indication of how bad officiating has become. I'm also not saying this as a Packer fan, who is obsessed by the loss, but by someone who believes that teams deserve to be able to decide the outcome as part of the game, not at the whim of an official throwing a capricious flag.

Now that gambling is being legalized, the organized crime problem is just gonna get worse.

It's interesting you say that. I'm not much into conspiracies and I don't see one in yesterday's game, but it did get me thinking that the more "judgement" calls the NFL interjects into the game, the more opportunities they give the refs to screw with the outcome. Not saying it happened yesterday, but after the game yesterday I got to thinking that a call like the one on Clay is the perfect way for a ref to affect the outcome if he wanted to. It's such a total judgement call that you could practically call it every time the QB takes a hit and the league would end up defending it. Pass interference (and to some degree holding) was already bad enough but now you have a second totally subjective call you can make on a dozen or more plays every game.

I am not bringing this up as an argument, or disagreement on how poorly they played, but as an indication of how bad officiating has become. I'm also not saying this as a Packer fan, who is obsessed by the loss, but by someone who believes that teams deserve to be able to decide the outcome as part of the game, not at the whim of an official throwing a capricious flag.

To this point TW, what’s additionally maddening is that on GBs last drive, Rhodes grabbed, pulled and generally mugged Adams in the end zone, and the refs let it go. They decided in that moment to let the players decide the outcome. Fine! Let the players decide the outcome. To then turn around a few minutes later and decide that no, the refs are in fact going to call things to the letter of the law, players be damned.... that’s just bad reffing.

To this point TW, what’s additionally maddening is that on GBs last drive, Rhodes grabbed, pulled and generally mugged Adams in the end zone, and the refs let it go. They decided in that moment to let the players decide the outcome. Fine! Let the players decide the outcome. To then turn around a few minutes later and decide that no, the refs are in fact going to call things to the letter of the law, players be damned.... that’s just bad reffing.

You're right. It's that lack of consistency in their calls. If they are consistent, nobody has a complaint. It has to be especially frustrating to the players and coaches, not knowing what to expect game to game.

The interesting thing is Kendrick's hit on AR was subject; however, at the end he put his weight on him which was a little drive into the ground. Matthews actually put his knee down and then his hand to ensure he did not put his body weight on Cousins. This was confirmed even by Paul Allen the voice of the Vikings this morning on KFAN the MN sports channel. So, even the voice of the Vikings said he understood the Kendrick's call but not the Matthews call. Proves the point that Matthews did everything right even with the new rule now in place and still got flagged. Ridiculous.

At some point the League needs to establish that while safety is at the top of our list, this is a violent game and injuries to QB's, as well as every other player will happen. Because you know, these 250+ pound freak show athletes are not running full speed trying to hug the QB, they are trying to hit them and tackle them really freakin' hard.

I'm also someone who never had much of a problem with Barr's hit on Rodgers. These guys are paid to hit people.

This should absolutely be a reviewable play. Pass interference, holding, all of that should be. Especially if it impacts a huge scoring play, or turnover to end the game in this instance that can completely change the momentum during a game.

As Howie Long said "While the NFL is going to try and figure this out and work through it, Coaches will be losing their jobs"

Way, way, way too early to try and gauge where this team is in regards for a title this year. Get Aaron Jones and Burks back. Keep developing the kids. Rodgers and Graham are only getting started.

We’ll have a much clearer picture of where this team is a few weeks from now when they travel to LA.

Should be 2-0. Time to get ready for Washington.gopackgo

Back