Post Game: Green Bay Ties Minnesota 29-29

This should absolutely be a reviewable play. Pass interference, holding, all of that should be. Especially if it impacts a huge scoring play, or turnover to end the game in this instance that can completely change the momentum during a game.
"

Goes back to Bill Belichick's idea - give coaches two challenges with the chance for a third, and make any three plays reviewable. Simple, elegant, fair. NFL will never go for it because they cannot stand to have refs judgements challenged.

I think some sort of review option should be allowed for this call. It happens quickly and as we saw from the refs explanation, he had absolutely no idea of what occurred from his angle.

For those who've played and coached the game far more than I have, is it time to tell your front 7 to stop tackling the QB unless he's a runner? Tell them to use bad technique and instead of wrapping up and tackling to the ground that you are better off just using your hands and arms to chuck the guy and hope you've shoved him hard enough to knock him down. A late hit will still be late, but at least you don't risk the "driving him into the ground" call. Most QBs will probably fall down, some won't but will be enough off stride and out of the pocket so you can harass him some more. I know in my heart it's not right but might be the less risky strategy until the league gets this fixed, if ever.

There was a hit on Rodgers like that after he'd released the ball and the ref had no problem with it. Had the same guy tackled him to the ground who the hell knows what might have been called.

All good discussions. Good example is Daniels having a for sure sack on Cousins yesterday. Cousins pump faked and Daniels backed off after he had is arms around him because he thought he threw the ball and did not want to get flagged. This rule is ruining the NFL. JMHO. :)

At some point the League needs to establish that while safety is at the top of our list, this is a violent game and injuries to QB's, as well as every other player will happen. Because you know, these 250+ pound freak show athletes are not running full speed trying to hug the QB, they are trying to hit them and tackle them really freakin' hard.

I'm also someone who never had much of a problem with Barr's hit on Rodgers. These guys are paid to hit people.

This should absolutely be a reviewable play. Pass interference, holding, all of that should be. Especially if it impacts a huge scoring play, or turnover to end the game in this instance that can completely change the momentum during a game.

As Howie Long said "While the NFL is going to try and figure this out and work through it, Coaches will be losing their jobs"

Also interesting on Rodgers run Barr pulled up when he could have cracked Rodgers just as he was going out of bounds.

All good discussions. Good example is Daniels having a for sure sack on Cousins yesterday. Cousins pump faked and Daniels backed off after he had is arms around him because he thought he threw the ball and did not want to get flagged. This rule is ruining the NFL. JMHO. :)
And on the flip side the league wants to have their stars on the field non on IR. Follow the money

For those who've played and coached the game far more than I have, is it time to tell your front 7 to stop tackling the QB unless he's a runner?
Nope you play on and finish the job.. if they flag it they flag it. As inconsistent as they are it's 50/50 anyway.

Herein is the way to resolve this issue. Make it a reviewable play. They do that with targeting in college ball, to insure they don't overreact. Why doesn't the NFL realize they need to be certain that they aren't making a mistake on these calls as well?

I know they'll say it makes the games longer, so to make them feel better about having to do the right thing, let them throw another couple of minutes of advertising in there while they review the play. Make it an official time out. I think people would be more than willing to sacrifice at the most 6 minutes of their life to get it right on the field, and endure 3 or 4 ads for erectile dysfunction.

Herein is the way to resolve this issue. Make it a reviewable play. They do that with targeting in college ball, to insure they don't overreact. Why doesn't the NFL realize they need to be certain that they aren't making a mistake on these calls as well?

I know they'll say it makes the games longer, so to make them feel better about having to do the right thing, let them throw another couple of minutes of advertising in there while they review the play. Make it an official time out. I think people would be more than willing to sacrifice at the most 6 minutes of their life to get it right on the field, and endure 3 or 4 ads for erectile dysfunction.
To expect that the league / official get a review on personal foul right is like us to expect them to get the catch rule right. The college rule is much different as to interpretation.

It would be interesting to see the number of QBs hurt since these rules were instated compared to before. I am not sure there will be much of a difference.

Not much more to be said here that hasn't been said already. Nothing will change the tie so I guess it's just time to move on to the Redskins and hope for some better refs.sh))

Back