Official Packers Off Season Pre-Draft Thread

The combine has just become an NFL media event. the real value is the face to face interviews. I totally agree on that its a data point, I get that, but the game is not played in shorts and t shirts. Film dont lie
Media event- yes. What in the NFL is not a media event.
The combine is just a three or four day measuring event with a medical report. The data for most if not all the RAS and SPARQ ratings comes almost exclusively from the combine. Especially this year with hardly any Pro days to help balance out the individual testing.

Film dont lie

maybe. maybe not. it sure can mislead. if a guy is on a team with superior talent all around him and is playing a lot of games against inferior competition, he can indeed look a lot better on film than he will in the nfl. take some of these small school prospects who have great game film, then they come to the combine and you find out just how slow they really are. i think you really need both film and objectively measurable tests to get the true picture.

maybe. maybe not. it sure can mislead. if a guy is on a team with superior talent all around him and is playing a lot of games against inferior competition, he can indeed look a lot better on film than he will in the nfl. take some of these small school prospects who have great game film, then they come to the combine and you find out just how slow they really are. i think you really need both film and objectively measurable tests to get the true picture.
I get that it’s a data point but that’s what talent evaluators are paid to do. And it’s not one game on film it’s 20-30. How many times have we seen a kid crush the combine, rise up the boards and flop at the next level. Sure some measurables might separate a few kids that rate the same.

How many times have we seen a kid crush the combine, rise up the boards and flop at the next level.

and how many times have we seen guys that were all-world in college vanish without a trace in the nfl?

and how many times have we seen guys that were all-world in college vanish without a trace in the nfl?
Yep it’s a data point. That’s why talent evaluators make money or get the pink slip.

Former NFL executive Michael Lombardi was told by a league source that the Buccaneers are looking to trade O.J. Howard.
"I think Howard's got a great name, but I think there's an instinctive issue going on," Lombardi said on his most recent episode of The GM Shuffle. "I think he's going to be available." Lombardi also said he wouldn't be surprised if the 25-year-old is dealt during next week's draft. This isn't the first time Howard's been speculated to be on the block as the Patriots reportedly attempted to acquire his services during last year's trade deadline. Either way, this storyline wore out its welcome long ago. A fresh start may be best for both sides.

• In a poll of 17 NFL executives by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, scouts were torn on whether Notre Dame's Chase Claypool will be a wide receiver or tight end at the next level.
    As McGinn notes, some teams are vehement that Claypool can succeed at wideout in the NFL after starting 33 games at the position in college, but other clubs are viewing the 6'4/238 Claypool as a tight end. Landing spot will be massive for Claypool when it comes to his future success. Many in the draftnik community believe Claypool can absolutely succeed as a wideout after he blazed a 4.42 forty at the Combine. He joined Calvin Johnson as the only player bigger than 6'4/235 to run a sub-4.45 forty in Combine history. Claypool is Rotoworld's Hayden Winks' No. 8 wideout and a fringe first-round talent.
    SOURCE: The Athletic
    Apr 15, 2020, 12:14 PM ET

• One scout told The Athletic's Bob McGinn he believes Baylor WR Denzel Mims is "better than CeeDee Lamb and maybe better than Jerry Jeudy."
    "He can really go up and make acrobatic plays on the ball. He showed at the Senior Bowl he can beat press coverage and get open at the top of routes," the scout continued. "He’s bigger, faster, longer. You’ve got a chance to really hit on Mims." Opinions were split on Mims among the 17 executives/scouts McGinn interviewed, as Mims was voted the second-most likely wideout to become a bust, behind only Colorado's Laviska Shenault. “He’s an outside receiver. He’s going to need a lot of work on how to run routes. He has tight shoulders. Better high-ball catcher than low-ball catcher. More of a 400-meter guy. He’s got inconsistent hands. He’s going to need work on how to get off press. He’s just got average body control," said a different scout. "I got him in the second round.” Mims flew up draft boards after a strong Senior Bowl and Combine.
    Apr 15, 2020, 12:05 PM ET

• One scout told The Athletic's Bob McGinn that he believes Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy has "more of that superstar potential than anyone" else in this year's class of wide receivers.
    “Just a phenomenal route runner. Explosive. Just makes things happen," the same scout continued. In a poll of 17 NFL executives, Jeudy was just narrowly edged out by Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb as the draft's top receiver talent, but Jeudy did receive several first-place votes. Jeudy posted an ugly score of 9 on the Wonderlic, but he "was good in the interview with us," a different scout said. “He really understands football. He’s lived life in the ultimate football playground." Jeudy is Rotoworld's Hayden Winks' No. 2 wideout and a slam-dunk first-round pick.
    Apr 15, 2020, 11:47 AM ET

Back