Official Packers Off Season Pre-Draft Thread

• In a poll of 17 NFL executives by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Colorado WR Laviska Shenault was voted the likeliest wideout to be a draft bust.
    Shenault received eight of the 17 votes, Baylor's Steven Mims got four, and Clemson's Tee Higgins received two to round out the top three in that poll. Shenault underwent core-muscle surgery in late February after the Combine, and with the COVID-19 pandemic, teams haven't really been able to get their medical eyes on him. “Mental and injury,” one scout replied when asked why Shenault was his choice to bust. “He’s always been the best guy on his team. You put him in one position and he’s just going to flounder. He’s head and shoulders in the bust factor above everyone else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big fall.” Another scout compared Shenault to Cordarrelle Patterson in terms of his future NFL role. "Little bit immature but, my God, is he big and powerful,” another scout said. "He’s a power guy, and those guys play.”
    SOURCE: The Athletic
    Apr 15, 2020, 11:34 AM ET

• In a poll of 17 NFL executives by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Oklahoma WR CeeDee Lamb edged out Alabama's Jerry Jeudy as the top wide receiver prospect in the 2020 draft class.
    McGinn has been conducting this series for 36 years now. He surely has ties to the inside. Execs were asked to rank the wideouts on a 1-through-6 scale, with first-place votes getting six points, second-place getting five, and so forth. Lamb accrued 87 points, and Jeudy came in at 86. While none of those polled view any of the 2020 wideouts in the same light as Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones, everyone considers it to be the deepest class in recent memory. As for Lamb, scouts are comparing him to Chad Johnson and Anquan Boldin. "You throw the ball up, he’s coming down with it," one scout said. “Just a competitive and strong guy,” said another scout. “Almost a Boldin-type of receiver. I don’t think he’s a superstar. Lamb kind of maximizes what he has.” Lamb (6'2/198) is our Hayden Winks' No. 1-ranked wideout.
    Apr 15, 2020, 11:25 AM ET

• The Athletic's Aaron Reiss believes Kenny Stills is the likely "odd man out" among Texans wideouts.
    The Texans signed Randall Cobb and traded the No. 57 overall pick in this year's draft for Brandin Cooks, joining them with Will Fuller to be Houston's new three-wide set following the trade of DeAndre Hopkins. Stills is entering the final year of his contract with a $7 million cap number, all of which can be cleared with a release or trade. Houston likely would have been better off just not signing Cobb and keeping Stills, but they're here now. Trading Stills would likely only net a late-rounder. He turns 28 next week.
    Apr 15, 2020, 9:42 AM ET

• One scout told The Athletic's Bob McGinn he believes Baylor WR Denzel Mims is "better than CeeDee Lamb and maybe better than Jerry Jeudy."
    "He can really go up and make acrobatic plays on the ball. He showed at the Senior Bowl he can beat press coverage and get open at the top of routes," the scout continued. "He’s bigger, faster, longer. You’ve got a chance to really hit on Mims." Opinions were split on Mims among the 17 executives/scouts McGinn interviewed, as Mims was voted the second-most likely wideout to become a bust, behind only Colorado's Laviska Shenault. “He’s an outside receiver. He’s going to need a lot of work on how to run routes. He has tight shoulders. Better high-ball catcher than low-ball catcher. More of a 400-meter guy. He’s got inconsistent hands. He’s going to need work on how to get off press. He’s just got average body control," said a different scout. "I got him in the second round.” Mims flew up draft boards after a strong Senior Bowl and Combine.
    Apr 15, 2020, 12:05 PM ET
No

• One scout told The Athletic's Bob McGinn he believes Baylor WR Denzel Mims is "better than CeeDee Lamb and maybe better than Jerry Jeudy."
    "He can really go up and make acrobatic plays on the ball. He showed at the Senior Bowl he can beat press coverage and get open at the top of routes," the scout continued. "He’s bigger, faster, longer. You’ve got a chance to really hit on Mims." Opinions were split on Mims among the 17 executives/scouts McGinn interviewed, as Mims was voted the second-most likely wideout to become a bust, behind only Colorado's Laviska Shenault. “He’s an outside receiver. He’s going to need a lot of work on how to run routes. He has tight shoulders. Better high-ball catcher than low-ball catcher. More of a 400-meter guy. He’s got inconsistent hands. He’s going to need work on how to get off press. He’s just got average body control," said a different scout. "I got him in the second round.” Mims flew up draft boards after a strong Senior Bowl and Combine.
    Apr 15, 2020, 12:05 PM ET
Don't agree with McGinn. I have

1. Jeudy
2. Lamb
3. Ruggs
4. Jefferson
5. Higgins
then either Mim or Shernault at 6.

Former NFL executive Michael Lombardi was told by a league source that the Buccaneers are looking to trade O.J. Howard.
"I think Howard's got a great name, but I think there's an instinctive issue going on," Lombardi said on his most recent episode of The GM Shuffle. "I think he's going to be available." Lombardi also said he wouldn't be surprised if the 25-year-old is dealt during next week's draft. This isn't the first time Howard's been speculated to be on the block as the Patriots reportedly attempted to acquire his services during last year's trade deadline. Either way, this storyline wore out its welcome long ago. A fresh start may be best for both sides.
Rumor was last year NE offered a 1st rounder at trade deadline for Howard and were turned down. If that's TB's asking price I don't know if I give them a 1st.

here is the glorious history of packers draft picks of defensive linemen in the 2nd or 3rd round going all the way back to 1961.

Montravius Adams
Khyri Thornton
Jerel Worthy
Mike Neal
Donnell Washington
Kenny Peterson
Steve Warren
Cletidus Hunt
Jonathan Brown
Darius Holland
Esera Tuaolo
Don Davey
Matt Brock
Shawn Patterson
Donnie Humphrey
Charles Johnson
Fred Heron
Al Dotson
Ron Kostelnik

• NFL Network's Tom Pelissero polled 12 general managers or "high-level executives" on who would be the second quarterback off the board behind LSU's Joe Borrow and seven said Oregon's Justin Herbert.
    That means five for Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa. This week's increased Herbert-ahead-of-Tua speculation has had the feel of a billowing smokescreen, but this would suggest that is not the case. A 6-foot-6 physical specimen with a cannon arm, it's little surprise that Herbert has become an object of front office affection, but his decision-making and ball placement are major concerns.
    SOURCE: NFL.com
    Apr 16, 2020, 2:02 PM ET

Back