Official 2020 Week 11 Green Bay vs Chicago Thread

I too like ML and wouldn't want another coach, but wasn't he 'billed' as being an innovative coach? I wish they would throw some wrinkles in there. Even some 'trick' plays. It just feels like the same ole same ole. Maybe it's injuries. Maybe it's lack of talent. But I'm a little disapointed.

the innovative part of his offense is that there is a lot of pre-snap motion designed to disguise the play and the fact that there are many different plays that look exactly the same before the snap. he's clearly not a "gadget play" kind of guy.

I too like ML and wouldn't want another coach, but wasn't he 'billed' as being an innovative coach? I wish they would throw some wrinkles in there. Even some 'trick' plays. It just feels like the same ole same ole. Maybe it's injuries. Maybe it's lack of talent. But I'm a little disapointed.
Just think what GB would have looked like the last 10 years had GB hired Sean Payton instead of MM.

I'm going ith lack of talent. If your guys can't even run the base offense with precision then you can't hope to throw in wrinkles to fool the defense without the chance of fooling your own players.

The what changed question ....I'll answer. This IS the NFL. All of the scheme looks both on offense and defense are known. If your trying to run the same look that this week's opponent practiced against their scout team all week you are not going to be very effective on game day.

Our defense isn't doing much to counter the weakness of the other team's offense in games mostly because we don't have the horses in the barn to do so. GB will look like a machine vs guys like Mitch this week but vs a vet QB that can read a defense and has some skill talent, we'll get shredded like cheese.

Offensively we aren't bad because #12 tends to cover up a lot of things. I still really love ML and his culture huge difference compared to fat daddy mike but I think he relies on #12 too much.... takes us out of the run game more than I care for. tc(
This is why it's so frustrating they kept everything in house when TT left. It is painfully clear to anyone who has any sort of knowledge of how football works that the Packers front office/talent eval has been horrid for years. The number of picks they wasted on questionable talent and players asked to play out of position should have led to a majority of the FO and scouting office being replaced. The fact they give huge contracts to people who are too good to be replaced shows that agents know they can bend the FO over a rail. The FO is not in charge, the agents are. And it has hamstrung the Packers ability to put together a solid roster. And to answer the question of "who do you replace them with? " The answer is anybody. because really many people could do better. And bringing in young guys who are hungry to innovate and prove themselves will improve things. Instead, you have an entire talent eval staff who is very comfortable and has no real threat of accountability. And you have an entire FO who cares more about Titletown District (which is really ugly btw, nothing matches and it feel thrown together).

I feel for ML. I also feel for MP. While he isn't the innovator he once was, you can't make butter with a toothpick. He is extremely limited in what he can do by the mediocre talent he has to work with.

It is painfully clear to anyone who has any sort of knowledge of how football works that the Packers front office/talent eval has been horrid for years. The number of picks they wasted on questionable talent and players asked to play out of position should have led to a majority of the FO and scouting office being replaced.

i've been saying that for quite a while now. and gute was and still is a major part of that horrid mess. we really don't know if those last few years of ted were actually ted. some of that may well have been gute. if you look at gute's drafts, they don't look much different. maybe a little worse.

This is why it's so frustrating they kept everything in house when TT left. It is painfully clear to anyone who has any sort of knowledge of how football works that the Packers front office/talent eval has been horrid for years. The number of picks they wasted on questionable talent and players asked to play out of position should have led to a majority of the FO and scouting office being replaced. The fact they give huge contracts to people who are too good to be replaced shows that agents know they can bend the FO over a rail. The FO is not in charge, the agents are. And it has hamstrung the Packers ability to put together a solid roster. And to answer the question of "who do you replace them with? " The answer is anybody. because really many people could do better. And bringing in young guys who are hungry to innovate and prove themselves will improve things. Instead, you have an entire talent eval staff who is very comfortable and has no real threat of accountability. And you have an entire FO who cares more about Titletown District (which is really ugly btw, nothing matches and it feel thrown together).

I feel for ML. I also feel for MP. While he isn't the innovator he once was, you can't make butter with a toothpick. He is extremely limited in what he can do by the mediocre talent he has to work with.
The evaluation process is just not the GM, it’s scouts, pro personnel evaluators, college personnel evaluators. Yes at the end of the day the buck stops with the GM but it’s not the entire issue when look at that big picture. Some key guys left the front office years ago and it shows.

The evaluation process is just not the GM, it’s scouts, pro personnel evaluators, college personnel evaluators. Yes at the end of the day the buck stops with the GM but it’s not the entire issue when look at that big picture. Some key guys left the front office years ago and it shows.
But it is the GM's job to go out and replace the scouts that leave the team. It shows that Ted and Gute have IMO not done a good job in finding replacements for those scouts.

LB De'Jon Harris and RB Mike Weber were elevated to the Packers roster for Sunday night vs. the Bears as COVID-19 replacements. The Packers still have two players on the COVID reserve list: LB Krys Barnes and RB AJ Dillon.

Said it plenty of times before but there's too much talent on this defense for them to be this bad at times, and this Bears offense is as inept as NFL offenses get. They don't come to play in this one, then stick a fork in Pettine. They better have his walking papers ready.

the innovative part of his offense is that there is a lot of pre-snap motion designed to disguise the play and the fact that there are many different plays that look exactly the same before the snap. he's clearly not a "gadget play" kind of guy.

His O needs to get the run game going, and with 12 that’s not always easy. Rodgers still has a lot of say, for better or worse. I’ve yet to see them go into “we gotta have it” mode with the run game. Hell, probably haven’t seen that since the days of Larry Beightol.

Back