Official 2020 Week 11 Green Bay vs Chicago Thread

Pettine's schemes always end up throwing inside linebackers into untenable situations. It's like they've become his scapegoats for failure. I wish they'd just fire Pettine, bite the bullet, and switch to a 4-3, and start making changes on the defense with that in mind.

I agree talent is very very important.

But what I won't agree on is that enthusiasm, attitude, and effort don't play a part. Opponents are getting horrendous yardage after initial contact. Yes, some of it's technique, but I believe that a lot of tackling is enthusiasm, attitude, and effort.

Sometimes you get beat. But we're bad. If we dropped an opponents 40% of yards gained to those gained after initial contact to 20% that would have a huge impact on the game.

Would I like better players sure. But we don't have them. So with who we have, I wish they'd show a lot more enthusiasm, attitude, and effort. It won't make them the Bears Defense, Colts Defense, or Bucs Defense. But it would make them a hell of a lot better than they are.

And, I too wonder what the H E Double Hockey Sticks type of scheme we're running. It might be wonderful if you have great talent and great tacklers, but we don't.

Talent is always important. But Heart and Desire/Will to win cover up some of those talent shortcomings

I agree talent is very very important.

But what I won't agree on is that enthusiasm, attitude, and effort don't play a part. Opponents are getting horrendous yardage after initial contact. Yes, some of it's technique, but I believe that a lot of tackling is enthusiasm, attitude, and effort.

Sometimes you get beat. But we're bad. If we dropped an opponents 40% of yards gained to those gained after initial contact to 20% that would have a huge impact on the game.

Would I like better players sure. But we don't have them. So with who we have, I wish they'd show a lot more enthusiasm, attitude, and effort. It won't make them the Bears Defense, Colts Defense, or Bucs Defense. But it would make them a hell of a lot better than they are.

And, I too wonder what the H E Double Hockey Sticks type of scheme we're running. It might be wonderful if you have great talent and great tacklers, but we don't.
Not to get too far off topic but the tackling issues are there before they enter the NFL. Fundamentals are not taught at the collegiate level, many guys are out of position, Guys who should be a S are a LB at D1, guys who should be OLB are DE..and stopping the spread is a major issue. Look at the defense played in the Pac 12 or Big 12, horrendous. Not much better in the ACC or SEC.

Talent is always important. But Heart and Desire/Will to win cover up some of those talent shortcomings
At the NCAA level yes. The NFL not so much. I don’t think NFL players lack a will to win. Difference is the speed of the game at the next level exposes your flaws.

I think some of the defensive players are slow at “processing” as well.
Prevents you from playing faster

Pettine's schemes always end up throwing inside linebackers into untenable situations. It's like they've become his scapegoats for failure. I wish they'd just fire Pettine, bite the bullet, and switch to a 4-3, and start making changes on the defense with that in mind.
I still think Murphy was the guy who wanted Pettine and forced ML to keep him after last season.

I think some of the defensive players are slow at “processing” as well.
Prevents you from playing faster

There's a lot to what you say here. On offense, I simplified assignments as much as I could because you could see the word "TILT" in the eyes of some of my players when the assignments became even a little complex. These of course were the players would eventually realize that their name wasn't "X" as they'd thought to that point. But, even with guys with a modicum of intelligence it can be complex enough to cause them to hesitate on a play, needing to sort out what the coach wanted them to do, when in reality, they see the play unfolding in front of them and have a gut reaction that tells them what they should do.

That's something that's made me wonder about the Smiths. It's not that they aren't playing with intensity. I wonder if there are certain keys they are supposed to react to, and they're slowing down their decisions.

Just throwing this at the wall here, don't know enough about how Pettine actually covers specifics with the players.

Back