NIL - Texas style

You're right on the alumni bases being smaller. The difference is, their alumni bases are rich in oil barons. You stroke them the right way and they will write out checks from petty cash that will make your eyes bulge. I've watched how they will make millionaires out of guys they like, even if the person is a total putz! Trust me. I know a lot of them. I know the power of their pen. I know of a couple who wouldn't flinch at writing out $2-3 million dollar checks from them alone, to supplement Texas Tech. They'd bring along couple of dozen buddies who would add a mill each.

It's out there in the oil industry. And you would never recognize the players to be honest. Some of them look like homeless people picked up off the street, when you meet them. They'll even set you up by using their backwoods speak, then level you with their engineering prowess.
I get that but scale matters. They might get millions it won’t match Texas, A&M, Bama or Florida and probably LSU. Do you keep cutting checks if you keep playing in the Chick Fil A Bowl?

I get that but scale matters. They might get millions it won’t match Texas, A&M, Bama or Florida and probably LSU. Do you keep cutting checks if you keep playing in the Chick Fil A Bowl?
All things are going to change I'd guess. There could end up an elite conference where they have their own special bowl games, intent on honoring their own teams. Maybe a play in of 8 teams. The question is, who will want to join them and become sacrificial lambs every year. Right now, DI schools are using the smaller ones, like New Mexico State, etc, as cannon fodder, to prepare their teams for their regular competition. There's always a school out there that needs the money enough to jump into the grinder.

I do know that the Big 10 would be split pretty quickly. A lot of teams aren't going to accept relegation.

All things are going to change I'd guess. There could end up an elite conference where they have their own special bowl games, intent on honoring their own teams. Maybe a play in of 8 teams. The question is, who will want to join them and become sacrificial lambs every year. Right now, DI schools are using the smaller ones, like New Mexico State, etc, as cannon fodder, to prepare their teams for their regular competition. There's always a school out there that needs the money enough to jump into the grinder.

I do know that the Big 10 would be split pretty quickly. A lot of teams aren't going to accept relegation.
No chance B1G splits. No university president is going to walk away from a $70m or so payday from conference TV money alone (BTN). The Big 12 probably should be worried. Small TV markers and no real power draw anymore in football

What is more likely is 3 “Super Conference”. Bowls will stay intact, they make $$$ and payout money. And since ESPN basically owns and operates 90% of bowls it’s the perfect set up to have a 12 team playoff using the current system and Disney paying an obscene amount of money for the rights. The media buzz is that any split would have 2 media deals (makes sense) with an NFL type network rotation like the SB.

No chance B1G splits. No university president is going to walk away from a $70m or so payday from conference TV money alone (BTN). The Big 12 probably should be worried. Small TV markers and no real power draw anymore in football

What is more likely is 3 “Super Conference”. Bowls will stay intact, they make $$$ and payout money. And since ESPN basically owns and operates 90% of bowls it’s the perfect set up to have a 12 team playoff using the current system and Disney paying an obscene amount of money for the rights. The media buzz is that any split would have 2 media deals (makes sense) with an NFL type network rotation like the SB.
This is what I am waiting for NCAA becomes just a small time potatoes thing as power 5's break away from own conf

This is what I am waiting for NCAA becomes just a small time potatoes thing as power 5's break away from own conf
The thing is how do you regulate basketball and other sports. I get football is unique but hoops is still a big revenue stream for teams like Villanova, Kansas. P5 does not exist in basketball. There needs to be some oversight. The NCAA Tournament makes to much $$ for conferences and schools.

You're dealing with it based on today's market, and alignments. I'm referring to schools like OSU and Mich jumping ship, and joining a new super conference where one of the networks would throw huge money their way because they'd have teams that might even be competitive against some of the lower NFL teams. They, of course, would be willing to play against lesser schools to fill their schedules. Their own, internal playoffs at the end of the year, would probably involve more than two teams. Maybe 4, or 6? I don't know. Just guessing here.

They might even end up with two conferences of 8 to 12 teams each at the top? I don't know at this point. It's possible that these "new conferences" would even cap the amount of money that can be spent on given sports. So many "what ifs" out there that it's unfathomable.

Of course that would mean the money going into the newly aligned Big 10 would be a lot less. But, those remaining, and those that soon joined, would be competitive among themselves, and the various conferences would be part of a ranking to join one or two of the elite schools in a championship playoff for the national title. It would at least keep up the appearance of showing balance.

It's all going to gravitate to whomever is willing to spend the most money to make it rain, and guarantee it will rain, for a number of years.

In a way, for a lot of schools, this would be beneficial. They'd at least be competing with schools more on their financial level, and resources.

Right now, it's very difficult telling where it will go. I always think about how everyone said Ted Turner was crazy, launching his news channel nationwide. When things go in the right direction, you can be almost instantly turned into a winner, by circumstances.

You're dealing with it based on today's market, and alignments. I'm referring to schools like OSU and Mich jumping ship, and joining a new super conference where one of the networks would throw huge money their way because they'd have teams that might even be competitive against some of the lower NFL teams. They, of course, would be willing to play against lesser schools to fill their schedules. Their own, internal playoffs at the end of the year, would probably involve more than two teams. Maybe 4, or 6? I don't know. Just guessing here.

They might even end up with two conferences of 8 to 12 teams each at the top? I don't know at this point. It's possible that these "new conferences" would even cap the amount of money that can be spent on given sports. So many "what ifs" out there that it's unfathomable.

Of course that would mean the money going into the newly aligned Big 10 would be a lot less. But, those remaining, and those that soon joined, would be competitive among themselves, and the various conferences would be part of a ranking to join one or two of the elite schools in a championship playoff for the national title. It would at least keep up the appearance of showing balance.

It's all going to gravitate to whomever is willing to spend the most money to make it rain, and guarantee it will rain, for a number of years.

In a way, for a lot of schools, this would be beneficial. They'd at least be competing with schools more on their financial level, and resources.

Right now, it's very difficult telling where it will go. I always think about how everyone said Ted Turner was crazy, launching his news channel nationwide. When things go in the right direction, you can be almost instantly turned into a winner, by circumstances.
I don’t even think Michigan or OSU would jump. Projections are $90m per year from BTN alone…per school. Delaney was a genius.

You might be right. But, who's to say new super conferences won't pay out more? We just don't know at this point.

You might be right. But, who's to say new super conferences won't pay out more? We just don't know at this point.
They would have to have TV deals almost doubled from the current network deals always possible but unless the media environment does a 180 doubtful

The thing is how do you regulate basketball and other sports. I get football is unique but hoops is still a big revenue stream for teams like Villanova, Kansas. P5 does not exist in basketball. There needs to be some oversight. The NCAA Tournament makes to much $$ for conferences and schools.
Could you have the schools split for a football only conf?

Back