NIL - Texas style

Just saying now instead of hidding in shadows they can be open about throwing money around
I’ve been saying that for months money is now in the open. Ask me if it changes the power structure of schools competing for the CFP. Easy answer. No

At some point I could see every scholarship player be making upper 5 figures a year at top power 5s
Napier, HC at Florida predicts it’s $20m a year to compete in the SEC. That’s pretty accurate. Will any school not named Alabama, Florida, Texas or Oklahoma or A&M be able to raise that. Highly doubtful

I’ve been saying that for months money is now in the open. Ask me if it changes the power structure of schools competing for the CFP. Easy answer. No
I agree, to a point. It does change the pecking order within the power 5. As an example, Texas and Oklahoma support will be astronomical. Personally, I know several people who are willing to write out checks for a million dollars to Baylor, A&M, and UT, if it ends up "buying" the best football players available to put them into the national championship bracket. It's also going to turn schools like Texas Tech, U of Houston, Rice, and SMU, into power houses in their own conference, and one of them will end up being part of the national championship discussion now and then. Even Louisiana, because of their oil influence, is going to be a beneficiary. Of course Alabama will be up there as well because they have the alumni network that will bust a gut to keep them viable. Suffering the most? Auburn? They may end up being somewhat competitive. I don't know at this point.

Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, are going to reap the benefits in the Big 10 because of their alumni network. Rest assured, they will step up, and make one of them viable for inclusion in the playoffs most years.

I see you mentioned the $40 mill figure. It will be there. It will also be there for other sports. But, eventually, the schools that over pay will end up on a level of their own, and the rest will move on with a more controlled spending environment. After all, there's only so much room on a roster for big bucks players.

My guess, for Texas? The end bill, for all sports, will end up near $100 mill a year. They won't short change baseball, basketball, women's volleyball and basketball, as well as track & field. But, that's just a guess on my part. I haven't seen the figures yet as to where they see it going. It's going to be huge. Lots of mail box money going to come into play.

But now it shows kids hey bribe money right here come get the bribe money to come to the school

Napier, HC at Florida predicts it’s $20m a year to compete in the SEC. That’s pretty accurate. Will any school not named Alabama, Florida, Texas or Oklahoma or A&M be able to raise that. Highly doubtful
Yep going to turn into 5-10 schools in entire country that buy the players they want everyone else gets scraps they don't want

I agree, to a point. It does change the pecking order within the power 5. As an example, Texas and Oklahoma support will be astronomical. Personally, I know several people who are willing to write out checks for a million dollars to Baylor, A&M, and UT, if it ends up "buying" the best football players available to put them into the national championship bracket. It's also going to turn schools like Texas Tech, U of Houston, Rice, and SMU, into power houses in their own conference, and one of them will end up being part of the national championship discussion now and then. Even Louisiana, because of their oil influence, is going to be a beneficiary. Of course Alabama will be up there as well because they have the alumni network that will bust a gut to keep them viable. Suffering the most? Auburn? They may end up being somewhat competitive. I don't know at this point.

Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, are going to reap the benefits in the Big 10 because of their alumni network. Rest assured, they will step up, and make one of them viable for inclusion in the playoffs most years.

I see you mentioned the $40 mill figure. It will be there. It will also be there for other sports. But, eventually, the schools that over pay will end up on a level of their own, and the rest will move on with a more controlled spending environment. After all, there's only so much room on a roster for big bucks players.

My guess, for Texas? The end bill, for all sports, will end up near $100 mill a year. They won't short change baseball, basketball, women's volleyball and basketball, as well as track & field. But, that's just a guess on my part. I haven't seen the figures yet as to where they see it going. It's going to be huge. Lots of mail box money going to come into play.
TW I question if UM and PSU can keep up in arms race with money being thrown around

I would only disagree on schools like Houston , SMU & Rice. Some are private institutions with smaller alumni bases to draw from. Totally disagree on Auburn. Pockets are deep and dirty going back to the Bobby Lauder days. Deep roots in the Atlanta market

Yep going to turn into 5-10 schools in entire country that buy the players they want everyone else gets scraps they don't want
And what’s different than the last 10-15 years?

I would only disagree on schools like Houston , SMU & Rice. Some are private institutions with smaller alumni bases to draw from. Totally disagree on Auburn. Pockets are deep and dirty going back to the Bobby Lauder days. Deep roots in the Atlanta market
You're right on the alumni bases being smaller. The difference is, their alumni bases are rich in oil barons. You stroke them the right way and they will write out checks from petty cash that will make your eyes bulge. I've watched how they will make millionaires out of guys they like, even if the person is a total putz! Trust me. I know a lot of them. I know the power of their pen. I know of a couple who wouldn't flinch at writing out $2-3 million dollar checks from them alone, to supplement Texas Tech. They'd bring along couple of dozen buddies who would add a mill each.

It's out there in the oil industry. And you would never recognize the players to be honest. Some of them look like homeless people picked up off the street, when you meet them. They'll even set you up by using their backwoods speak, then level you with their engineering prowess.

Back