NIL - Texas style

Several states have tried to put limits on earnings but at this point states are actually abandoning the laws they wrote because of constitution issues. Before it's over, the NCAA will write some gobbledy gook that won't have any value, and let this run rampant. There is nothing that allows people to restrict the income potential of people for their NIL. The Supreme Court will take care of that.

I wouldn't doubt for a moment that the issue with Arch Manning is a combination of right school as a fit, and the one where boosters have an NIL deal ready to go that will guarantee him he'll be a millionaire the day he steps on campus.

The amazing thing is that these kids are going to make more money in college over their 4-5 years than some will for the decade after they get out of school. It's amazing.

The NCAA is useless. They had their opportunity to fix and failed.

Several states have tried to put limits on earnings but at this point states are actually abandoning the laws they wrote because of constitution issues. Before it's over, the NCAA will write some gobbledy gook that won't have any value, and let this run rampant. There is nothing that allows people to restrict the income potential of people for their NIL. The Supreme Court will take care of that.

I wouldn't doubt for a moment that the issue with Arch Manning is a combination of right school as a fit, and the one where boosters have an NIL deal ready to go that will guarantee him he'll be a millionaire the day he steps on campus.

The amazing thing is that these kids are going to make more money in college over their 4-5 years than some will for the decade after they get out of school. It's amazing.

Neither of these article are about monetary limits. These articles address what athletes and and cannot endorse. Which includes, as noted in the article that a kid from Kentucky cannot enter into an agreement with Adidas since UK is a Nike school. Florida has similar legislation and also includes things such as an athlete cannot endorse a competitive product that the university has an agreement with. Example Florida athletes cannot enter into an agreement with Body Armour since Florida has an agreement with Gatorade. Yes technically it’s a limit since some brands are restricted but it’s not a dollar cap that you cannot earn in excess or (fill in the blank) $$.

The legal issue would come down to what endorsements/ sponsorship agreement takes precedent. Most university agreements are 10 years and carry penalties if violated. It’s more of a civil case and doubt SCOTUS wants to get involved in a states rights issue

It's about the question of constitutionality of restricting the rights to make money. Don't get tangled in the nuts and bolts like you are. Look at the scope of what the issue actually is. It's restriction of rights not unlike free enterprise in business.

Also, forget about any controls from either states or schools, because there won't be any. Those who get the majority of this money would be more than happy to leave the NCAA and start their own collective which would include TV rights, etc.

Even schools are getting gun shy, because they know that if they restrict access to NIL money, they're also going to cut their own throats financially, and with their programs. And, it's not just one program, it's all programs.

The only restrictions we'll see will be related to gambling, illicit businesses, and things that aren't socially acceptable to normal society, and even that will be somewhat limited.

It's about the question of constitutionality of restricting the rights to make money. Don't get tangled in the nuts and bolts like you are. Look at the scope of what the issue actually is. It's restriction of rights not unlike free enterprise in business.

Also, forget about any controls from either states or schools, because there won't be any. Those who get the majority of this money would be more than happy to leave the NCAA and start their own collective which would include TV rights, etc.

Even schools are getting gun shy, because they know that if they restrict access to NIL money, they're also going to cut their own throats financially, and with their programs. And, it's not just one program, it's all programs.

The only restrictions we'll see will be related to gambling, illicit businesses, and things that aren't socially acceptable to normal society, and even that will be somewhat limited.
Well contracts are not nuts and bolts when brands pay schools millions for the association. If Florida has a contract with Nike that forbids student athletes from endorsements of a competitive brand that’s a binding agreement that will be enforced. And you can bet that language exists. I know for a fact it does for coaches. I know for a fact that FSU has a deal with Mercedes Benz and it restricts coaches from deals with any automotive brand. Florida has a similar deal with restrictions on the basketball and football programs but other non revenue sports are exempt. So free enterprise does not exist there.

And socially acceptable to a normal society is a real slippery slope. Who determines that. I can make a case gambling is now normal but I can understand that restriction for obvious reasons.

As to P5 schools breaking away yeah that’s not even a question it’s bound to happen. But remember that most are public institutions funded with state money.

I think you're right about schools being locked in to companies like Nike, and let's say, Ford Motor Company. I understand their being beholding to them. But, I think you're going to see it fall more into line with what we see in the NFL, where the team can be branded, but the players have rights as well, in regards to NIL.

I don't believe the universities and those who are involved with them are going to want to test this too far in the water, because it could lead to some things happening that they don't want.

What's scary is that the day may come where college athletes favor organizing unions. Don't look past any possibilities right now, and don't look past anything getting through the courts. Things are totally out of whack. The new order to things is disorder.

I think you're right about schools being locked in to companies like Nike, and let's say, Ford Motor Company. I understand their being beholding to them. But, I think you're going to see it fall more into line with what we see in the NFL, where the team can be branded, but the players have rights as well, in regards to NIL.

I don't believe the universities and those who are involved with them are going to want to test this too far in the water, because it could lead to some things happening that they don't want.

What's scary is that the day may come where college athletes favor organizing unions. Don't look past any possibilities right now, and don't look past anything getting through the courts. Things are totally out of whack. The new order to things is disorder.
I thought schools lost the union thing in court few years back when they tried to form one

Actually some schools are using co-licensing to allow kids to use marks and logos but in some cases state NIL laws forbid it. And one state who does is Texas. And honestly co-licensing would be so simple since CLC is basically a clearing house that all major conferences use but unfortunately that’s not happening. Right now it’s 3rd party co-licensing.

The Union thing is a slippery slope. Northwestern tried that a few years ago and failed. And then you get into employment crap and yada yada yada. Will some school try again? I would think so but just a guess not until the P5 schools split

One thing that is happening that’s not being discussed is conversations between P5 AD’s and Fundraisers and doners. It’s not a comfortable conversation. The collectives what that money also. The goal is to cause donors to add to the pot without taking away traditional donations. But schools are scared.

One thing that is happening that’s not being discussed is conversations between P5 AD’s and Fundraisers and doners. It’s not a comfortable conversation. The collectives what that money also. The goal is to cause donors to add to the pot without taking away traditional donations. But schools are scared.
They should be scared. A lot of the money being handed to athletic departments is going to end up in the hands of the athletes, not the schools. They're going to have to find ways to adjust their expenditures to minimize the impact.

For schools like Texas, and OSU, it's going to be considerable, but in Texas, there will be more money available. All the school officials have to do is kiss the rings of the ultra wealthy. They peel off a million dollars down here like it was chump change. How it plays out with Ohio State, I don't know.

I wonder if this is going to end up creating serious cut backs in the salaries paid to head coaches. In all honesty, I've never believed a college head football coach was worth over $6 mill a year, and I don't give a darn who he is.

I see the entire landscape of college football changing dramatically.

Back