NIL - Texas style

Not 3 years know but lets say they have a freshman tell the kid we can't give you a scholarship this year but give you walk on status for this year. We can "help" with tution until we can get you under a scholarship next year.
That’s called an inducement and would violate most states NIL laws. You also run the compliance risk since the collective is not legally associated with the university and cannot guaranteed a scholarship. One other technicality. Walk on’s would have to qualify academically like any other kid off the street and not be be eligible as a partial qualifier.

Inducements only if anyone is stupid enough to tell everyone the kid got a private scholarship because he could play a sport. How do you think half of the better college baseball teams stock the shelves when there's a shortage of scholarships?

Now, please excuse me. I'm no longer interested in discussing this issue.

Is Inducements only if anyone is stupid enough to tell everyone the kid got a private scholarship because he could play a sport. How do you think half of the better college baseball teams stock the shelves when there's a shortage of scholarships?

Now, please excuse me. I'm no longer interested in discussing this issue.
Why ? Simple. Scholarship limits. Each team is limited to 11.7 per roster. It’s an NCAA rule. They have no other recourse. They are forced to fill with non scholarship athletes. Football has 85 basketball 13. So just math that’s only 46% for baseball players on full scholarship, football 80% and basketball 86%

NCAA D1 baseball programs are allowed to offer a maximum of 11.7 athletic scholarships, which can be divided up among a maximum of 27 players. A D1 player on scholarship must receive a minimum scholarship of 25% of the total cost of attendance. A full scholarship includes tuition, fees, books, room, and board.

One last try at trying to reach you.

Assume Johnny Jones is a good baseball player, but nobody offers him an ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP. He's trying to figure out how he can afford to go to school without one.

Along comes Mr. Money, who hires the kid part time to work for his car dealership during his senior year in high school. Well, Mr. Money just happens to know, through the grapevine, that Coach Goodteam, at Cheating University, needs a second baseman, and doesn't have a scholarship to give. Since Mr. Money is a graduated of that school, and admires Coach Goodteam, he runs into Johnny Jones's Daddy, and tells him that he's going to be offering a scholarship to kids to go to Cheating University for at least one year, maybe two. Would Mr. Jones like Johnny to apply?

Of course Mr. Money says it's competitive. Anyone can apply. He'll choose the winner based on an essay written by each kid that applies. Let's say he collects a dozen applications.

Mr. Money selects Johnny as the winner based on his essay, which said, "I wana go to skool." It just tugged at Mr. Money's heart strings. He just had to help this genius advance his education.

So, Johnny matriculates to Cheating U, and lo and behold, tries out for the baseball team, and makes it, even though he doesn't have an athletic scholarship. In year two, at Cheating U, they see he's pretty good, and give him a half scholarship, so Mr. Money can now put aside part of what he was spending on Johnny's scholarship so he can find another kid in need, who can play center field, because that's now the team's weakness.

Now, if you go to Mr. Money, and accuse him of trying to cheat the system, he's going to sue you, because there's no way in hell you can prove it, even though he's a regular at Cheating U's games, and given treatment like royalty.

You've said it yourself, repeatedly, and it applies to kids going on to college. FOLLOW THE MONEY!

One last try at trying to reach you.

Assume Johnny Jones is a good baseball player, but nobody offers him an ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP. He's trying to figure out how he can afford to go to school without one.

Along comes Mr. Money, who hires the kid part time to work for his car dealership during his senior year in high school. Well, Mr. Money just happens to know, through the grapevine, that Coach Goodteam, at Cheating University, needs a second baseman, and doesn't have a scholarship to give. Since Mr. Money is a graduated of that school, and admires Coach Goodteam, he runs into Johnny Jones's Daddy, and tells him that he's going to be offering a scholarship to kids to go to Cheating University for at least one year, maybe two. Would Mr. Jones like Johnny to apply?

Of course Mr. Money says it's competitive. Anyone can apply. He'll choose the winner based on an essay written by each kid that applies. Let's say he collects a dozen applications.

Mr. Money selects Johnny as the winner based on his essay, which said, "I wana go to skool." It just tugged at Mr. Money's heart strings. He just had to help this genius advance his education.

So, Johnny matriculates to Cheating U, and lo and behold, tries out for the baseball team, and makes it, even though he doesn't have an athletic scholarship. In year two, at Cheating U, they see he's pretty good, and give him a half scholarship, so Mr. Money can now put aside part of what he was spending on Johnny's scholarship so he can find another kid in need, who can play center field, because that's now the team's weakness.

Now, if you go to Mr. Money, and accuse him of trying to cheat the system, he's going to sue you, because there's no way in hell you can prove it, even though he's a regular at Cheating U's games, and given treatment like royalty.

You've said it yourself, repeatedly, and it applies to kids going on to college. FOLLOW THE MONEY!
If Johnny is a good baseball player he’s getting a scholarship to a D1 school. If Johnny is a border line D1 prospect, because it seems like since he has zero offers , let the booster throw money at a kid, that’s not a real smart “booster” to throw money for “charity” for a kid who is just some “guy”. Or if Johnny is a legit D1 prospect out of HS and get let’s say LA picks him in round 4 he’s going to get $400k for inking his name on the paper. So then Johnny has a choice…..follow the money. And I truly feel sorry for a booster wasting his cash on a border line prospect, his “investment” would have much better served bia the collective for multiple reasons

Oh and if a collective is throwing money at a non revenue sport, like baseball, and while it’s elite at some schools it’s not football or hoops…..that’s probably money not well “invested”

NIL the worst thing in the history of college sports. Players now pay me to come to school and pay me to avoid leaving school.

And the kid ended staying at Miami. I can name 10 things far worse in college sports

That is incorrect. He already had an NIL deal with John Ruiz in place
Yeah and he cried that it was not enough would leave school if he did not get more and got a increase in his NIL to stay

Straight from article

"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process," Wong's agent, Adam Papas, told ESPN.

In other words: Pay up or we're out.

Back