JS: Blame for underachieving season falls on Mike McCarthy, Ted Thompson

Oh for crying out loud.... How did MN stop are 3/4 wide for the North title ? The same way every bloody DC that can would vs straight line speed WR. Man up and jam your butt.

We couldn't get off that look all season. Are whole WR group has struggled against even Jordy has poor games vs Physical man corners.

2 things a really good WR coach and a OC that can scheme man beaters. 1 note no one here has covered from the season is that the NFL took away almost all the pick plays from teams this season or attempted too. GB scheme had/has a lot of picks and junk routes built into it. Since the scheme is preset before the season begins and is installed this also caused issues for the offense. tc(

Winner)Winner)gp((

TT and MM; That train has left the station. Their act is worn out. Time to move on or be stuck in perpetual mediocrocy.

TT and MM; That train has left the station. Their act is worn out. Time to move on or be stuck in perpetual mediocrocy.

Having 8-8 records and missing the playoffs most of the time is perpetual mediocrity.

Potato/potato (hmmm, how do you spell the British version? :)). I understand Pugger, but I'm inclined to go with diesel. Perpetually missing the playoffs is bad. Having a shot every year and missing, that's mediocre. Obviously, IMO.

Not just having a shot every year and missing - having a shot every year and blowing it. There's losing, and then there's losing.

I give 'em a ton of credit for the fight they put up against the Arizonas, when very few people even gave them a chance, and for how close they came to another NFCCG, but the bottom line is they lost because one of the few veteran playmakers we have blew an assignment and gave up a pass that might not have been complete had he done what he was supposed to do. The year before? I don't think I even need to list all the blown plays that lost that game, which is good because the battery's dead on my calculator and I can't count that high on my own.

Year after year, we have been good enough to win it all, but we have beaten ourselves. Often it's McCarthy and Capers getting completely pantsed by better coaches, just as often it's players not making plays or blowing assignments. And, often it's both.

But the bottom line is, just about every season falls into the same category - they wind up blowing it in the playoffs. That's the story of the McCarthy era, and that's what bothers me the most about this team. Every year that they sit home watching the Super Bowl on television, they have nobody to blame for it but themselves - because they are almost always just as good as at least one of the two teams in that game, and they had their chance to be there - but they blew it.

Everybody who's ever been an athlete knows that the biggest lie in sports is "there's always next year" - because no, there isn't always a next year. Eventually, every player runs out of next years. And you never know, at the end of the season, whether that one was your last "next year." You usually only know it years later, looking back and realizing how close you came. Many of us on these boards are older and more mature than the players, and we understand that - many of them do not, at least not yet. And I think that's why it's so frustrating for so many of us to see them come so damned close and just throw it away, year after year. Once you're in the playoffs, there is only this year, there is only this game, there is only this play. Every single time the ball is snapped. And I'm just sick and tired of watching a team every year that just doesn't seem to understand that.

Hey FT, good post. Half Empty, same to you. My following comment is in jest and somewhat sarcastic. Haven't we've been told that it's not the coaches, it's the players execution? Haven't we been told that a few plays, each game, are the difference?

The one's who trumpet that if Hyde made the pick, if Favre made thethrow, if Peppers dropped into coverage, then we're winning Super Bowls or at least playoff games. Yet the same bunch hate to hear that the ship was taking on water all during the undefeated portion of this season. They don't want to hear that a play here or a play there would have lost the game. I'm tired of the woulda, coulda, shoulda. We lived it in the Favre years. Two great QBs and only 2 Lombardi's.

Last edited:
Perhaps off-topic, but during 2010, I was 'the voice of reason' and had 'yes, but' comments for every optimistic post. Fortunately, the Perfect Storm (as described earlier) took place, I was wrong and thrilled to be so. The next year, I was back in action, and actually was asked by the forum owner to 'stop raining on their parade'. I stopped posting, but when that 15-1 smoke-and-mirrors team was one-and-done, the same owner nearly slit his wrists online. Haven't posted there since then, either.

Yes 2 great QB'S and only 2 Lombardi Trophys but Marino had zero. Manning 1 Brees 1 hell Brad Johnson and Joe Flacco have more than Marino. The Super Bowl Tournament like the NCAA is one and done. Bad play bad call missed assignment. Happens. Thru the years the best team has not won the big game. It's a combination of plays and yes luck. Shields holds on to that pick we beat Arizona. We hold on to the on side kick we beat Seattle. Yes the difference in this league is 1-2 plays per game. Harsh but true much of the time. New England. Missed extra point.

I think there should be disappointment if we end a run of Favre and Rodgers with only 1 Super Bowl each, that said it is really hard to win a Super Bowl even with one of the greatest of all time leading your team. Pending what happens in the Owl this year Manning only has 1 Super Bowl so far, Marino had none and there are plenty of other examples. Football is the ultimate team sport where an elite QB will make you a contender but isn't enough to win on their own.

Hopefully we can get another 1 or 2 before Rodgers retires and I will be disappointed if we don't but I won't look at the end result as a failure because as fans we have been very fortunate to have 25 years of being in the running to win it all on almost a yearly basis.

Perhaps off-topic, but during 2010, I was 'the voice of reason' and had 'yes, but' comments for every optimistic post. Fortunately, the Perfect Storm (as described earlier) took place, I was wrong and thrilled to be so. The next year, I was back in action, and actually was asked by the forum owner to 'stop raining on their parade'. I stopped posting, but when that 15-1 smoke-and-mirrors team was one-and-done, the same owner nearly slit his wrists online. Haven't posted there since then, either.
I kind of love a guy living up to his screen name. We Finns are some melancholy buggers, and you should be a honorary citizen. Got you a motto: "Every season without a SB win is a failure. Every SB win is a year I fail in my criticism." ;)

You're right that only SB wins are remembered forever. But building a team to a level of dominance required to win several in a short span of time without blowing the cap before has time to happen... That essentially requires some EPIC drafting!

Back