JS: Blame for underachieving season falls on Mike McCarthy, Ted Thompson

McCarthy is not good at accepting blame. He has been here 10 years with Ted, he knows what he signed up for, so to criticize it now looks like he is just trying to shift the blame.

Bottom line, we had plenty of talent on this roster, but we were really poorly coached, especially on offense, and that falls on Mac.

Where would Ted have reasonably upgraded the team?
WR - We thought that was a strength coming into the season
OL - We thought that was a strength coming into the season
QB - We thought that was a strength coming into the season
TE - Jordan Cameron, Charles Clay or Julius Thomas? Maybe.

ST - Punter?

DL - Thought we looked pretty good across the board there
OLB - Really liked what we had there
ILB - Wasn't a great market, but could have used a vet here, though after Barrington got hurt, not sure what there was avail
CB - I love what we have at the position
S - I love what we have at the position

I don't know, definitely could have done something, but I just don't think it was the issue. Universal under-performance is what sunk the team and that is a coaching issue, not talent issue. tc(
So in other words Adams should get a pass for all the drops and running lazy routes? Cobb should not be held accountable for drops? Shields should get a hall pass for dropping 3 INT at Arizona? Did McCarthy give up 34 or so sacks after week 4. Lacy should get a pass for being out of shape? And Rodgers poor, for him season is on the staff?

Are there coaching issues yes but when are professional football players going to be held accountable for sub par play.

So in other words Adams should get a pass for all the drops and running lazy routes? Cobb should not be held accountable for drops? Shields should get a hall pass for dropping 3 INT at Arizona? Did McCarthy give up 34 or so sacks after week 4. Lacy should get a pass for being out of shape? And Rodgers poor, for him season is on the staff?

Are there coaching issues yes but when are professional football players going to be held accountable for sub par play.
I've told you for weeks... months that's not reality in not just the NF but college and below too. It's a win or get lost world from youth sports up. It's a reality Pack you don't have to like but none the less it is what it is.

I've told you for weeks... months that's not reality in not just the NF but college and below too. It's a win or get lost world from youth sports up. It's a reality Pack you don't have to like but none the less it is what it is.
Did Payton keep his job yes. Did Pagano yes. Did McCoy yes. Did O brien yes. Marvin Lewis? Tomlin? I get your point but this year was a perfect storm. Injuries. Sub par years by some. I can understand the hot seat at 8-8. He made staff errors clearly. But it's more than McCarthy

Did Payton keep his job yes. Did Pagano yes. Did McCoy yes. Did O brien yes. Marvin Lewis? Tomlin? I get your point but this year was a perfect storm. Injuries. Sub par years by some. I can understand the hot seat at 8-8. He made staff errors clearly. But it's more than McCarthy

Maybe so but he is ultimately responsible for that FB team. That comes with leadership.

Should they get a pass hell no, but your statement that players are not held responsible is nothing short of horseshit. How many nights did we all sit on shout over the past 20 weeks and talk about issues in the locker room and staff ? Now your going to give MM a pass ?

MM was the dumbass who took his WR coach and combined them with QB as one. MM was the man who handed over play calling duties and reconfigured the staff saying "it was time" . The list goes on and on. TT has made a number of boneheaded moves no doubt. We have players that don't fit their scheme and were square pegs placed in round holes. But when the hell is Mike going to be held accountable for his in game boneheaded bullcrap and stupid off season staff moves ?

Or should we overlook it cut the damn punter and acquire a vet or 2 and say "it's fixed ! "( they were held accountable:rolleyes:) Guess what we've been arguing essentially the same damn points for 4 seasons and it isn't getting better.

It's not all on the players or the staff. It's a staff and system/culture that has been getting increasingly untenable for awhile and all the pro bowl players in the world can't fix a sour locker room.

Should they get a pass hell no, but your statement that players are not held responsible is nothing short of horseshit. How many nights did we all sit on shout over the past 20 weeks and talk about issues in the locker room and staff ? Now your going to give MM a pass ?

MM was the dumbass who took his WR coach and combined them with QB as one. MM was the man who handed over play calling duties and reconfigured the staff saying "it was time" . The list goes on and on. TT has made a number of boneheaded moves no doubt. We have players that don't fit their scheme and were square pegs placed in round holes. But when the hell is Mike going to be held accountable for his in game boneheaded bullcrap and stupid off season staff moves ?

Or should we overlook it cut the damn punter and acquire a vet or 2 and say "it's fixed ! "( they were held accountable:rolleyes:) Guess what we've been arguing essentially the same damn points for 4 seasons and it isn't getting better.

It's not all on the players or the staff. It's a staff and system/culture that has been getting increasingly untenable for awhile and all the pro bowl players in the world can't fix a sour locker room.

And who assembles the talent and puts together the 53. Ted Thompson. I just said in another post McCarthy made an error not having a WR coach. Yes there is a chemistry issue. Thats on McCarthy. It's on Thompson and the staff. This organization has failed to fix multiple holes over the years. 2 piss poor draft classes did not help either. Does the buck stop with the HC yes. Sadly it does. The first 24-25 are solid. But we lack play makers on defense and depth ok quality depth is lacking. I get the injuries shoukd not be used as an excuse. Every team has them. But let's be honest here. We lost our}1 wr. Cobb played hurt as did Adams and losing Montgomery hurt. Our ol was a disaster. On top on that #12 played at a very average level. Missed a lot of open receivers. Shields was out 4 weeks. The list goes on.

I'm not saying McCarthy is perfect. Never did. This is an organizational issue. Top to bottom.

McCarthy is not good at accepting blame. He has been here 10 years with Ted, he knows what he signed up for, so to criticize it now looks like he is just trying to shift the blame.

Bottom line, we had plenty of talent on this roster, but we were really poorly coached, especially on offense, and that falls on Mac.

Where would Ted have reasonably upgraded the team?
WR - We thought that was a strength coming into the season
OL - We thought that was a strength coming into the season
QB - We thought that was a strength coming into the season
TE - Jordan Cameron, Charles Clay or Julius Thomas? Maybe.

ST - Punter?

DL - Thought we looked pretty good across the board there
OLB - Really liked what we had there
ILB - Wasn't a great market, but could have used a vet here, though after Barrington got hurt, not sure what there was avail
CB - I love what we have at the position
S - I love what we have at the position

I don't know, definitely could have done something, but I just don't think it was the issue. Universal under-performance is what sunk the team and that is a coaching issue, not talent issue. tc(

Who could foresee losing all those WRs? NOBODY last August was clamoring for Ted to draft a WR. I heard grumblings from some on various forums after Ted drafted Montgomery.

There were only 2 or 3 games when we had all of our starting linemen together in a game this year. We can agree depth was a issue and hopefully that will be addressed this offseason,

QB? Really? We had the reigning MVP, a decent backup and a young rookie with potential coming out of his ears. Who knew Rodgers would have a down year - for him?

TE is still an issue. Perhaps before the season started they though RRod and Q would be good enough until Q got hurt.

For all those pointing to FA including MM. I get into this same argument all the time with my buddies, but in general people are too quick to point to the guy "we should have got" with 20/20 hindsight, and completely ignoring that if you bring those guys in, you aren't going to be able to keep all your own guys, like Daniels, like Bulaga, like Cobb.

I don't really disagree in the grand scheme of things, but people are too quick to ignore the opportunity cost of some of these moves. I mean let's just say we had decided to sign Julius Thomas. Are we still able to extend Daniels, and can we still bring back Neal, Raji, Guiyon, etc. this off season?

There is definitely a trade off there that needs to be considered.

It just isn't sexy to sign your own guys. Ted would rather keep his own rather than go after players from other clubs unless the price is right.

Who could foresee losing all those WRs? NOBODY last August was clamoring for Ted to draft a WR. I heard grumblings from some on various forums after Ted drafted Montgomery.

There were only 2 or 3 games when we had all of our starting linemen together in a game this year. We can agree depth was a issue and hopefully that will be addressed this offseason,

QB? Really? We had the reigning MVP, a decent backup and a young rookie with potential coming out of his ears. Who knew Rodgers would have a down year - for him?

TE is still an issue. Perhaps before the season started they though RRod and Q would be good enough until Q got hurt.

Only plannedchaos can really tell us, but I think you and he (and me, and probably most of us) are pretty close to being on the same page. It appears to me, from his post, that his questions/suggestions about what TT could have done are rhetorical. If there was a 'shoulder shrug and hands up' smiley, that's what I think should have been used. What you say is entirely on point, it's just that I don't think anyone was actually taking the other side.

Packer fans...we're so passionate! Some feel it's lack of talent, some believe it's lack of execution by the players and some strongly feel its basically MMs fault. I believe its all three, but it does fall on MM in the end. All three perspectives have ample ammunition to back up their point.

I really believe it boils over because of how close we were in Seattle last year. Then this year was a house of cards, nothing ever seemed to be jelling and we would 'not make' the big play when it was right there in our hands! (offense or defense). Opportunities slipping away and we do have an appreciation for how hard it is to get there. Right now the glass contains 50%, whether half full or half empty will be determined by the off season, draft and TTs minimal activity with FAs.

Hoping MM gets a full time WR coach because I believe we have a talented WR corp. Hoping for a couple of comp picks because the mid rounds will provide the opportunity to add depth and - if lucky- a starter or two from rounds 4 and 5. Hoping the Chik-Fil-A next to Eddie's home closes! Lastly, hope TT nails this draft and then drives off into the retirement sunset.

Back