JS: Blame for underachieving season falls on Mike McCarthy, Ted Thompson

I think there should be disappointment if we end a run of Favre and Rodgers with only 1 Super Bowl each, that said it is really hard to win a Super Bowl even with one of the greatest of all time leading your team. Pending what happens in the Owl this year Manning only has 1 Super Bowl so far, Marino had none and there are plenty of other examples. Football is the ultimate team sport where an elite QB will make you a contender but isn't enough to win on their own.

Hopefully we can get another 1 or 2 before Rodgers retires and I will be disappointed if we don't but I won't look at the end result as a failure because as fans we have been very fortunate to have 25 years of being in the running to win it all on almost a yearly basis.

I think we are all disappointed when we don't win it all but should we just chuck it all and start over with a new GM and HC and staff when we are soooo close? Who out there will be better? Will he run the same offensive scheme we have now or will Rodgers and the rest of the offensive guys have to learn a whole new system? It can be therapeutic to call for a change but be careful what you wish for.

That's just it, Pug. Either way we're taking a chance, and neither option is really all that pleasant. Regardless of what any of us feel about it, the fact is that we're stuck with McCarthy and Thompson for at least the next 2 years. We just need to accept it. As many of us have said in this thread, it takes a lot of luck even for the best teams to win the Super Bowl. I guess we have to simply accept that as long as we have Thompson and McCarthy, we're just going to need a little more luck than some other teams, but - as long as we have Rodgers, we're already one hell of a lot luckier than most other teams in the NFL.

We could be in much better shape in some regards, but we could be one hell of a lot worse off in some ways, too. We have a better shot at winning the Lombardi every year than most other teams - if we had a better coach, our chances would be even better, but we've already got a much better shot than most of the rest of the league. At least we know we're in it at the start of every season - that we could legitimately go all the way - and that does make the games a lot more fun to watch.

Maybe that's the best takeaway we can get from this situation; there are a lot of teams whose fans would give anything to be able to say that just once every 5 or 10 years. We get to feel that way every year, at least for a while. And I will freely admit that no matter how mad I get at MM and TT and Capers, and how disgusted I get with the way the team plays sometimes, I'd much rather have this than be a Vikings fan.

Last edited:
It'll be ridden til it can't be ridden any more. At that time, we'll all know it'll be time for a change. Until then, enjoy the ride.

That's just it, Pug. Either way we're taking a chance, and neither option is really all that pleasant. Regardless of what any of us feel about it, the fact is that we're stuck with McCarthy and Thompson for at least the next 2 years. We just need to accept it. As many of us have said in this thread, it takes a lot of luck even for the best teams to win the Super Bowl. I guess we have to simply accept that as long as we have Thompson and McCarthy, we're just going to need a little more luck than some other teams, but - as long as we have Rodgers, we're already one hell of a lot luckier than most other teams in the NFL.

We could be in much better shape in some regards, but we could be one hell of a lot worse off in some ways, too. We have a better shot at winning the Lombardi every year than most other teams - if we had a better coach, our chances would be even better, but we've already got a much better shot than most of the rest of the league. At least we know we're in it at the start of every season - that we could legitimately go all the way - and that does make the games a lot more fun to watch.

Maybe that's the best takeaway we can get from this situation; there are a lot of teams whose fans would give anything to be able to say that just once every 5 or 10 years. We get to feel that way every year, at least for a while. And I will freely admit that no matter how mad I get at MM and TT and Capers, and how disgusted I get with the way the team plays sometimes, I'd much rather have this than be a Vikings fan.

QFT

I just think making a major move right now isn't necessary or needed. If we falter again in 2016 then it may be time to take a hard look at management. Even tho we lost the division and didn't play up to expectations we still made the divisional round with a beat up offense. Fix a couple of issues and next season should be a lot more fun than this last one. [BCOLOR=rgb(251, 251, 255)]bouncy[/BCOLOR]

a couple of examples i can think of where a team was doing pretty good, but couldn't seem to get over the hump and a new coach was brought in with nearly instantaneous results. tampa bay bucs with dungy - replaced by gruden and super bowl win the first season. denver broncos with fox - replaced by kubiak and going to the super bowl this year. there may be others, but this is off the top of my head.

fwiw

a couple of examples i can think of where a team was doing pretty good, but couldn't seem to get over the hump and a new coach was brought in with nearly instantaneous results. tampa bay bucs with dungy - replaced by gruden and super bowl win the first season. denver broncos with fox - replaced by kubiak and going to the super bowl this year. there may be others, but this is off the top of my head.

fwiw

Did either team change what they were doing with these new coaches?

Did either team change what they were doing with these new coaches?
yes very much so both those teams went top 5 with a change on D and both were more efficient on offense. Sometimes a team needs a fresh perspective to excel to the next level.

IMO Gruden won on Dungy's coattails. After that SB win they never made it past the WC round and in the other seasons he was their HC they missed the playoffs completely.

When Fox was the HC in Denver his defense was #2 instead of #1 as it is now (they were #4 in offense in 2014 and #16 in 2016) so I don't know if changing HCs in Denver made the big difference the 2 of you are espousing.

Back