Is this McCarthy's Last Year?

You can't compare Adams to Jones. When Jones first started here there were legitimate arguments being made that he was a quality number 1 receiver and every bit as good as Greg Jennings. He flashed big time potential. I remember him torching Champ Bailey in Denver on I think either SNF or MNF. Yes, he had drops, and yes he was prone to fumbles. He was stripped twice in one game against the Bears by Charles Tillman. However, the important thing was that even with all his bad plays, he showed great promise time and time again.

What about Adams? Has anyone seen any big flashes from Adams? By the numbers, he was rated as having a HISTORICALLY bad season. According to PFF, he caught less than 50 percent of all passes thrown to him even though he had more than 60 targets. That's all time awful. He's shown himself to be a poor route runner and he can't catch. He's had plenty of time to right the ship, but he still has yet to. He is what he is at this point. I'd bet big money he'll never be much better than what he is now.

IMO, the fact that this guy still sees the field is a testament to how mediocre our current group of WRs are. Of course, it doesn't hurt that he was a high draft choice. But, if you go by the numbers and by the eye test, there is no way that he should still be on the field. No way.

IMO, the fact that this guy still sees the field is a testament to how mediocre our current group of WRs are.

this is the only part of your post that i disagree with. we don't know how good or how bad the other receivers are because mcarthy is too stubborn to sit adams down and play the other guys. look what happened last season. all season long, mccarthy stubbornly refused to play abby and janis despite the fact that adams was having an historically awful season. when he finally had no other choice but to put them into a game - a pressure-packed playoff game no less - they both performed better than adams.

Interesting statement on skill level of our wide outs. Makes me think a moment. I agree, to a point, and disagree at the same time.

I do believe that Thompson believes he can find guys at lower rounds who will be solid receivers. Some are, some aren't. But, no matter how good a guy is, or bad, if you don't utilize them to the best of their ability, you're never going to know what they bring to the table.

What about Adams? Has anyone seen any big flashes from Adams? By the numbers, he was rated as having a HISTORICALLY bad season. According to PFF, he caught less than 50 percent of all passes thrown to him even though he had more than 60 targets. That's all time awful. He's shown himself to be a poor route runner and he can't catch. He's had plenty of time to right the ship, but he still has yet to. He is what he is at this point. I'd bet big money he'll never be much better than what he is now.

Yes I've seen flashes. He had 4 receptions on 4 targets and a TD in the one game in the playoffs last year. Adams 2 games in has 2 TDs one was quite flashy while being interfered with. PFF has Adams stats last year at 50 rec. on 94 TGTs. ESPN has him at 50 rec on 93 TGTs. That is over 50%. It isn't great by any means but how many of those were catchable. AR has not been extremely accurate for the last 11 months and we want to put it on the WRs but maybe AR has something to do with it. Adams had a team high 6 drops last year. That is bad but for comparison, in 2009 James Jones was in his third year, played 16 games and he had 32 rec. on 63 targets with 6 drops.

Interesting statement on skill level of our wide outs. Makes me think a moment. I agree, to a point, and disagree at the same time.

I do believe that Thompson believes he can find guys at lower rounds who will be solid receivers. Some are, some aren't. But, no matter how good a guy is, or bad, if you don't utilize them to the best of their ability, you're never going to know what they bring to the table.

Fans will always well not always overvalue their own and under value other rosters. Classic example is Abby. When he was released no takers. When Jones hit the FA market little interest. And when Cobb hit the market little interest.

Looking back, I think the last true #1 WR was Sterling Sharpe. Since then we've had a parade of #2 WRs who were elevated by some of the most exceptional QB play over the last 20 years. Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson.....all of them were good #2s. When you have a couple going at once (Jordy and Jennings) you can still overpower most DBs. Right now I think we have a #2 in Nelson and two #3s in Cobb and Adams. I'm not as down on Adams as most seem to be, he's kind of turned into the whippin' boy on the board, BUT look at big money Cobb's production. I find him falling shortest of expectations, but somehow he gets a free pass. I'll say it again hoping it could happen and knowing it probably won't: Adams and Hyde to Cleveland for Josh Gordon. :cool:

Sometimes I think we're over evaluating the situation. It's like this: we have a friend who's looking for a job but can't find one. We blame it on broad, macro economic issues with changes in the American and global economy, but meanwhile ignore the fact that his resume has typos and misspellings and he has a stain on his interview suit that he refuses to get dry cleaned.

I don't doubt that the WR group is worse than 5 years ago, or that Jordy is creaky coming off injury, or that CMIII isn't as explosive as he used to be. That's all big picture, fine. But there are small, easily correctable things this offense can do to produce and produce well with exactly the players they have, if a certain QB and his coach are willing to admit it, swallow their pride and do those small things.

Sometimes I think we're over evaluating the situation. It's like this: we have a friend who's looking for a job but can't find one. We blame it on broad, macro economic issues with changes in the American and global economy, but meanwhile ignore the fact that his resume has typos and misspellings and he has a stain on his interview suit that he refuses to get dry cleaned.

I don't doubt that the WR group is worse than 5 years ago, or that Jordy is creaky coming off injury, or that CMIII isn't as explosive as he used to be. That's all big picture, fine. But there are small, easily correctable things this offense can do to produce and produce well with exactly the players they have, if a certain QB and his coach are willing to admit it, swallow their pride and do those small things.

Well said. The immediate needs fixing and then attack the long term but in both cases, inadequacies need to be admitted from front office to coaching staff.

Last edited:
King never heard in any circles at all back then that Jones was viewed as a possible #1 WR......there were some physical comparisons to Sharpe but that was it. Always had Jones rated as a 3/4 WR. Talk on fan boards was some thought he could grow into a #2, but of course that never materialized.

Dubz- Fully agree on Sharpe as last true Go-To WR. Brooks was almost there when injury hit. But didn't go as far as you did because figured I ruffled enough feathers not calling Jordy a #1.

Pack- agree but quick Q- was Cobb ever allowed to hit the market? Thought we signed the deal before he was on the market?

T if I remember correctly he signed in the first couple of days of FA. Multiple reports of Oakland showing interest. I always get suspicious when guys sign early with a "home town discount". Agents know the market. The idea that there is a dead period where you cannot negotiate is comical. If there was interest he could have leveraged it. Cobb is what he is. A system player.

Back