Is this McCarthy's Last Year?

BamaPack

Reaction score
I am not usually the leader of the fire Thompson/fire McCarthy lynch mob, but I am making an early prediction that this is going to be McCarthy's last year.

Seeing the dysfunctional offense from last year continue, and realizing that it is based on lack of playmakers at the skill positions, an alarming decline in play at QB, and a stale scheme, I don't think Mc Carthy can survive missing the playoffs or taking advantage of a weak schedule to squeak in as a wild card and making an early exit while proving that the Packers are no longer one of the league's top teams.

Looking at the schedule, if this were 2 or 3 years ago, I would think the Packers should win these next 4 home games pretty easily. But now, I'm not sure that the team that got swept at home last year by the division opponents can do better than split them ?

I think we have the play makers. I don't think we have the right captain at the helm of the ship. Same old hasn't worked for years. I think McCarthy should be on the hot seat, but he won't be.

Sometimes the only answer is to bring out the rope. You can't fire 53 players. You know you have the nucleus for a good team, so you have to look at a change in coaching. Mediocrity with the talent the Packers have, is unacceptable.

The biggest concern I'd have with changing coaches next year would not be on offense. Another coach, with a WCO background, could work with Rodgers & Co. to do well. The problem would be on defense, where we'd probably end up going from the 3-4 to either a 4-3 or a hybrid combination of the two. The question there would be how would our defensive line shake out, and how would it play out for Matthews and our other linebackers. That could be a problem.

Nevertheless, you have to make the change eventually. There never seems to be a good time.

I think we have the play makers. I don't think we have the right captain at the helm of the ship. Same old hasn't worked for years. I think McCarthy should be on the hot seat, but he won't be.

What playmakers?

Our TE's are terrible.
Cobb isn't the same anymore.
Lacy is still fat and slow.
Adams is a terrible number 3.
OL is average/slightly above at best.
Nelson is coming off a serious injury.

I can remember early on in MM's career it was often pointed out that the players loved him. Would run through walls for him because he was a players coach. I wonder if that is the general sentiment around the locker room today? Also, a lot of times it was pointed out that MM was a QB guru and an innovative offensive mind. Is that still the case today? Innovators don't just innovate one day and settle for the status quo the next day.

I had a bias against MM since day 1 and I've always stated that up front. I'll stay away from whether or not I think he should go but there seems to be a rigidity, and inflexibility about this team lately and I'm not sure of the cure. I do not think MM will go before TT unless there is an all out failure of a season. Those 2 are attached at the hip.

If there is no cure for what ails us don't worry. A bad offensive season might be all that is needed to get McCarthy canned.

I can remember early on in MM's career it was often pointed out that the players loved him. Would run through walls for him because he was a players coach. I wonder if that is the general sentiment around the locker room today? Also, a lot of times it was pointed out that MM was a QB guru and an innovative offensive mind. Is that still the case today? Innovators don't just innovate one day and settle for the status quo the next day.

I had a bias against MM since day 1 and I've always stated that up front. I'll stay away from whether or not I think he should go but there seems to be a rigidity, and inflexibility about this team lately and I'm not sure of the cure. I do not think MM will go before TT unless there is an all out failure of a season. Those 2 are attached at the hip.

I remember the stories about the Packer players and MM getting along so well. I racked that up to the fact that I didn't believe there was a lot of love between Sherman and his locker room because he was also GM (bad mistake in my book). Based on what we've heard, that's history. It does change because coaches constantly push harder to gain maximum effect. Then there's the fact that over the course of a few years working together, two people's paths will cross at least one time or another. That's kind of what I'm seeing here. Even the weekly game evaluations of how you played, and admonishment for just about anything starts to build animosity.

OK! It's kind of like marriage. Half of them end up in divorce. The reason? Some people don't seem to understand totally how it works. It only takes one disagreement in some cases, and it's over. My wife and I have been married over 51 years. We figured it out. Not everyone does. That locker room is about the same, and the players in that locker room outside of the player/coach as individuals are kind of like the player's siblings. They can make or break the relationship between coach and player by one statement. And there we have the Sitton/Lang/Rodgers/McCarthy situation. The perfect storm.

I'm not so certain that Thompson will go if McCarthy goes. After reading a lot of information over the last couple of years, there might be a little bit of a rift developing there. It could be that Thompson's unwillingness to sign free agents who can help the team is a problem for McCarthy (Not saying it is, just guessing it could be.). It could be that McCarthy has become bitter over this fact, and figures it's holding them back from making a run at the Lombardi Trophy. It's hard to determine what's going through their minds. Egos at that level of control, for both men, as well as players, is pretty darned fragile.

But, my guess is you're right. They'd fire both. It's kind of how it's done. The President would be the guy who put "his" people in place to run "his team" the way he wanted it ran. At this point, there's a separation between top management and football operations. In all honesty, I believe that works pretty well. I hope it continues when they do make changes.

What playmakers?

Our TE's are terrible.
Cobb isn't the same anymore.
Lacy is still fat and slow.
Adams is a terrible number 3.
OL is average/slightly above at best.
Nelson is coming off a serious injury.

I don't disagree that we are lacking playmakers but I do disagree with a couple points.

The TEs are not terrible. They made every play they could and if it wasn't for the TEs performance in the second half of the MN game the score could have been worse. Cook made a terrible decision to lose a yard after gaining the first down but he caught every pass thrown to him.

Adams had his man beat several times and was either interfered with or AR just flat out missed him.

Cobb was never a great receiver. He got open when plays got extended with AR scrambling He still does that.

I don't disagree that we are lacking playmakers but I do disagree with a couple points.

The TEs are not terrible. They made every play they could and if it wasn't for the TEs performance in the second half of the MN game the score could have been worse. Cook made a terrible decision to lose a yard after gaining the first down but he caught every pass thrown to him.

Adams had his man beat several times and was either interfered with or AR just flat out missed him.

Cobb was never a great receiver. He got open when plays got extended with AR scrambling He still does that.
Watch some All 22 film on Adams and you will change your mind

Watch some All 22 film on Adams and you will change your mind

Don't need to change my mind. I don't think he is great. I'm sure we can do better for a #3. Just saying he was open plenty and missed completely at times. I'd love to watch the All 22 film but I am not paying for it. Is there a place to get it free?

Back