Is this McCarthy's Last Year?

And the QB guru thing evaporated for him and everyone else with the new CBA, when you can't even text about X's and O's with these guys between February and June.

That is a fair point.. CBA does not help things that way.

Now 2012 and 2013 seasons were pretty good for Arod and Philbin was already gone. So I'm not sold on that however..

Think back to what the Packers offense used to be. People used to rave about how quick Arod released the ball. That doesn't happen when you have to wait for your WR to beat coverage. What else are we missing? People used to rave about how many different receivers Arod threw to over the course of a game. Nobody knew where the ball was going. Now we do. Sometimes it was as many as 7 or 8 different WR/TE. Not now. We used to plug in RB's from practice squads (Gato, Grant) and the could be successful enough. Now we have a legit lead back who has trouble doing much of anything.

And as for MM as a QB guru. What QB, besides Arod, has MM ever coached up to a higher level? I suppose Flynn was closest, but even he flopped after he left.

I think not only Arod made MM look better but Philbin made BOTH better as well. His loss I think s a huge hole that hasn't been filled. And MM just isn't smart enough to game plan the way GB did with Philbin to take advantage of Arod skill set (though like I said Arod had two great years without him).

The same goes with TT. The loss of Dorsey, Schneider, and Ball Reggie was a huge loss. And they all made TT look good. Now that their gone we don't have as many developing diamonds in the rough.

I see your point. Yet, I disagree. It's like dancing. It doesn't just disappear. Anyhow, it isn't a question of losing his skills, it's a question of the plays designed to utilize his skills. Clements may have helped him get them right, but it does not mean he can design plays around those skills. Anyhow, I believe that for at least 2013, they changed very little of what Philbin and McCarthy had worked up. McCarthy would ease Clements into that job just a little slower, and maintain a little more control. Just my opinion though. I could be wrong. Sometimes it's just a multitude of small changes that can create havoc.

A prime example is punting. In college, they use 4 steps. In the NFL, it's 3. You see guys booming the ball in college, and they can't even get close to the same results in the pros. Muscle memory is the issue. You train your body to do specific things, and you do it in repetition. When you make a slight change to it, even if it's from adding one additional step like in punting, and it all goes haywire. I know. I was a punter. I lost over 8 yard per punt and .7 seconds hang time in difference.

And that's a great point about designing plays to skills. I remember Denver, and Shanahan, doing that with Elway later in his career and he was pretty successful with his role.

I know. I was a punter. I lost over 8 yard per punt and .7 seconds hang time in difference.

You might need to come out of retirement and supplant Schum so don't go getting comfortable with making all these well educated posts!! Just remember me when you're back in the big show. :)

Oh, but as for the original question. No I don't think this is his last year. I think at the very least he's around next year as well.

Oh, but as for the original question. No I don't think this is his last year. I think at the very least he's around next year as well.

I tend to agree. I might even go as far as to say 2 more years. Packers make playoffs, tickets selling, etc., there is no hurry to change things up.

MM and TT are linked at the hip. TT will NEVER fire MM. MM has a job as long as TT is GM.

A friend of mine offered the hottest of hot takes, face-meltingly insane:

McCarthy is gone by Christmas :)

TW spot on with your post on Belichek and Pat's. Been kind of saying same thing on threads and in Shout. ☺

Eye- will have to agree to disagree on Adams. Wasn't a big JJ fan but JJ looks all star compared to Adams at same point of career. Adams is in year 3 so no excuses. For some reason they stick with him and personally thought he should have been cut this year as he has same problems w/o showing any improvements. MM and AR used to preach consistency yet Adams is the exception for reasons don't get.

Agree with Pack on overall talent level. There has been a big drop in talent. Take a long look at guys drafted as replacements: Cobb is no Gregg Jennings, Adams isn't James Jones and so on.

Been saying for some years now this team needed to draft a true #1 WR. Knew eventually Nelson would wear down and torch would be passed, but really we haven't had a true #1 since Jennings in his prime and even then we had Driver as a #2, Nelson as #3, James Jones as #4.

We do have Abby that AR loves and has confidence in but doesn't see the field yet. Monty is another big WR that flashed last yr prior to injury. These 2 might develop into #2 type talent but we will never know if they don't see the field and get to develop.

The torch used to get passed and players were drafted before need going back: Sharpe to Brooks, Brooks to Freeman, Freeman to Driver, Walker, Jennings and the pipeline has been broke since.

An argument could be made that Nelson was a number 1, if off production numbers alone could go with that, but if based off criteria of makes a true #1 Go-To WR he wasn't in my book. All the guys listed above could beat the double teams and be a threat anywhere on the field. But even 4 seasons back when double teamed Nelson would be taken out. His game was speed and catching over the shoulder throws. His speed and height used to make him a threat for RAC and jump ball. But would say go back and watch old film on guys listed prior and then on Nelson and think most would get point am driving at.

Last edited:
Eye- will have to agree to disagree on Adams. Wasn't a big JJ fan but JJ looks all star compared to Adams at same point of career. Adams is in year 3 so no excuses. For some reason they stick with him and personally thought he should have been cut this year as he has same problems w/o showing any improvements. MM and AR used to preach consistency yet Adams is the exception for reasons don't get.

When JJ was here the first few years he was crucified for drops. I don't remember much discussion on route running but he had terrible hands. When he played last year he was slow and lazy at times. He still made plays so people loved him again. Adams in 2 games has made plays. That's all I'm saying. I don't think Adams is a pro-bowler and never will be.

I really think it is more about AR than the WRs. He needs to take what is given and quit looking for the big play on every drop back. When this offense was at its best, AR was passing to 6-7 or more different recievers in a game. Thay ran 4 receiver sets, 2TE Sets, and mixed it up constantly. They ran rhythm plays and timing routes and Rodgers was the best of the best. Rodgers would "throw receivers open". He'd stick it in tight windows. He had the quickest release in football. Now he wont pass to them when they are open.

Back