Is this McCarthy's Last Year?

It was what bothered me about the failed 4th down. I didn't like the 4th and 2 call with Starks, but even more, I hated the foolish 3rd and 2 play before it with a prayer thrown towards the end-zone in an effort to make a big play. That play should have had multiple short options to convert 3rd down and then shoot for the endzone. Instead we risk the whole drive on one misguided pass. Poor philosophy, game-plan and execution IMO.

And yes, I think this should be MM's last year no matter how it finishes. This team needs some new ideas. At this point I am also OK with TT leaving as well. Start clean. You still have some time with a potential "all-time great" type QB. Lets see if a new group can bring him back to what he was. If not, then you have an answer and need to begin to plan for a transition at the position.

The 3rd down call was an audible. 100% on #12. He had Nelson one on one with Alexander

Thanks, I had not heard that. No surprise there "Pack". It kind of goes back to that whole big play mentality.

The 3rd down call was an audible. 100% on #12. He had Nelson one on one with Alexander

Correct. I have a video of this from the all 22 but trying to figure out how to post. Justin Perillo was sitting all by himself at the marker with enough time and space to cook a turkey. That was the route to hit, bang bang play. Probably could have fallen backwards for a couple more yards. First and goal. But no - Rodgers made a choice for the more difficult play, locked on to Jordy from the jump and then made a poor throw that didn't give Jordy even a chance at a jump ball. It hurt his team and I hope he gets blasted for it in meetings.

Thanks, I had not heard that. No surprise there "Pack". It kind of goes back to that whole big play mentality.

Playing Devils advocate. He had a 6-3 vet receiver on an undersized rookie CB. You could debate it was a perfect match up

That's all they talk about. The explosive plays. I would settle for some semi-explosive. Move the chains and take the shot when it presents itself but I get the feeling that AR is constantly looking for that big play. It goes back to players needing to win their one on one's and create those big plays. That's the mentality. It's never, "we gotta start taking what's there and dink and dunk if we have to". No, it's almost always goes back to needing "more explosive plays".....it continues the circular mindset of forcing or pressing into perpetuity.

Playing Devils advocate. He had a 6-3 vet receiver on an undersized rookie CB. You could debate it was a perfect match up

This isn't the same vet as 2 years ago. I understand what you're saying though.

I think they miss Philbin. Clements is a super QB coach, but in all honesty, I think Philbin knew how to harness the energy and ability of his offenses. He tweaked, and modified the McCarthy plan in ways that disguised routes, showed personnel packages and formations to defenses that confused them to the point that guys broke open in routes at all levels. Without Philbin, we've slowly sunk into a predictable offense.

Now 2012 and 2013 seasons were pretty good for Arod and Philbin was already gone. So I'm not sold on that however..

Think back to what the Packers offense used to be. People used to rave about how quick Arod released the ball. That doesn't happen when you have to wait for your WR to beat coverage. What else are we missing? People used to rave about how many different receivers Arod threw to over the course of a game. Nobody knew where the ball was going. Now we do. Sometimes it was as many as 7 or 8 different WR/TE. Not now. We used to plug in RB's from practice squads (Gato, Grant) and the could be successful enough. Now we have a legit lead back who has trouble doing much of anything.

And as for MM as a QB guru. What QB, besides Arod, has MM ever coached up to a higher level? I suppose Flynn was closest, but even he flopped after he left.

I think not only Arod made MM look better but Philbin made BOTH better as well. His loss I think s a huge hole that hasn't been filled. And MM just isn't smart enough to game plan the way GB did with Philbin to take advantage of Arod skill set (though like I said Arod had two great years without him).

The same goes with TT. The loss of Dorsey, Schneider, and Ball Reggie was a huge loss. And they all made TT look good. Now that their gone we don't have as many developing diamonds in the rough.

Last edited:
Great points CD. Could you imagine if the Packers re-tooled a bit and starting mixing up the personnel packages? How much film would other teams have? They would have to scramble a bit. Forget about all this no huddle stuff and start getting back to stuff that worked. Start "stacking some success" as MM likes to say and bust out of the box that has been figured out and is not working.

Now 2012 and 2013 seasons were pretty good for Arod and Philbin was already gone. So I'm not sold on that however..

Think back to what the Packers offense used to be. People used to rave about how quick Arod released the ball. That doesn't happen when you have to wait for your WR to beat coverage. What else are we missing? People used to rave about how many different receivers Arod threw to over the course of a game. Nobody knew where the ball was going. Now we do. Sometimes it was as many as 7 or 8 different WR/TE. Not now. We used to plug in RB's from practice squads (Gato, Grant) and the could be successful enough. Now we have a legit lead back who has trouble doing much of anything.

And as for MM as a QB guru. What QB, besides Arod, has MM ever coached up to a higher level? I suppose Flynn was closest, but even he flopped after he left.

I think not only Arod made MM look better but Philbin made BOTH better as well. His loss I think s a huge hole that hasn't been filled. And MM just isn't smart enough to game plan the way GB did with Philbin to take advantage of Arod skill set.

The same goes with TT. The loss of Dorsey, Schneider, and Ball was a huge loss. And they all made TT look good. Now that their gone we don't have as many developing diamonds in the rough.
MM got the QB guru thing before Green bay while in New Orleans working with Aaron Brooks and helping Deuce McAllister, get better.

And the QB guru thing evaporated for him and everyone else with the new CBA, when you can't even text about X's and O's with these guys between February and June.

Back