2024 Badger Football Thread

Scouting report on Stroud:
A tightly-wound cover corner with some verified speed and ball production. Size hasn’t been third-party verified, but in-person evaluation suggests that he’s thin and roughly 5-foot-11. Posted three sub 11-second efforts in the 100-meter dash as a 10th grader and was a member of a 4x400 squad that captured a regional title. Rather aggressive for a defender on the lighter side and will use his hands to get wide receivers off schedule. Tracks the football well once it's airborne and will levitate to make a break-up. Pretty effective in press-man situations at this stage, but a year or two in a college weight room is likely going to do wonders. A tad on the younger side for his class, which signals that the body could undergo a huge physical transformation in the coming years. Projects best as a field corner that can run with game-breakers into the deeper third and help eliminate vertical threats. Must keep evolving as a player, but has multi-year Power Five starter upside.

Scouting report on Stroud:
It makes me smile when I see what Paul Haynes is doing. He's picking up commits from areas we have had problems. Particularly Florida.

This kid has some growth left in him. He appears to just be starting to grow taller and stronger. By the time he hits Madison, he's going to be quite a bit bigger.

It isn't like there wasn't competition for him. There were several heavies out there trying to get him signed.

Haynes is going to be a recruiting gem the way it looks.

Any observations on your part Mark, in regards to his work?

It makes me smile when I see what Paul Haynes is doing. He's picking up commits from areas we have had problems. Particularly Florida.

This kid has some growth left in him. He appears to just be starting to grow taller and stronger. By the time he hits Madison, he's going to be quite a bit bigger.

It isn't like there wasn't competition for him. There were several heavies out there trying to get him signed.

Haynes is going to be a recruiting gem the way it looks.

Any observations on your part Mark, in regards to his work?
Badgers are back to filling those prime spots with top players and not just trying to appease the WFCA crowd, The OT from Arizona is a much better athlete and prospect than the WI 4 star they lost. Staff is building to win consistently long-term.Yes, it's ticking off the homers and some alumni, but this approach is correct.
Stroud is a great kid that they can mold into a starting corner.... really nice pick up. Duke was after him hard so he'll make grades as well.

Reactions: TW
Badgers are back to filling those prime spots with top players and not just trying to appease the WFCA crowd, The OT from Arizona is a much better athlete and prospect than the WI 4 star they lost. Staff is building to win consistently long-term.Yes, it's ticking off the homers and some alumni, but this approach is correct.
Stroud is a great kid that they can mold into a starting corner.... really nice pick up. Duke was after him hard so he'll make grades as well.
Paul Haynes must really know his stuff, and be able to sit down with players and their families, and be able to communicate well. Recruiting in SEC country like he does is difficult, but he seems to be able to do it quite well. He's impressive out there from what I can see from my limited knowledge.

I like your assessment on Stroud. It sounds like the kind of players Wisconsin needs to bring in to Madison. Good point on Duke. They wouldn't have even talked to him if they didn't think he had the ability to do well in school.

If UW relied on signing home grown talent UW would struggle to get enough wins to get to a bowl game every year. This year is only 2nd year in rebuild and with a tougher Big Ten I think a 6-8 win season could be expected again. I know it will make people angry that UW is not fighting for 10+ wins but in the new world of the Big Ten and with no NIL money to spend UW is going to have to find a way to do more with less.

If UW relied on signing home grown talent UW would struggle to get enough wins to get to a bowl game every year. This year is only 2nd year in rebuild and with a tougher Big Ten I think a 6-8 win season could be expected again. I know it will make people angry that UW is not fighting for 10+ wins but in the new world of the Big Ten and with no NIL money to spend UW is going to have to find a way to do more with less.
Matching last year's record would be a solid season. Rebuilding from the bottom up takes time, and investment in scholarships, and teaching players the new systems. What's impressive is the outreach our coaches have throughout the entire US. It's no longer recruiting with a half day's drive by car, so you can get home by dark, but ongoing work in areas that the Badgers have never recruited very well.

As the team improves, hopefully the NIL money will improve dramatically as well, and some big fish will find that a super star who can be a title winner going to Wisconsin is worth investing in for advertising purposes. It can come, now it's up to everyone to help it happen by supporting the program every way possible.

We may never find the allegiance to school and home like we see with Georgia, Alabama, or Texas, but we can do pretty good if they start getting through to those ex-athletes and students that were important to the University in the past.

OK, Bucky's in a rebuild and change of program. So are a lot of programs. NE who is being ranked above Bucky is in the same shoes. Even Iowa is changing offensive coordinator.

I cannot get on board with a 6 win season.

Bucky has to start winning - and that means, winning the upset sometime, beating those we should beat always, and beating our tier 65-70% of the time.

AND, of course the biggest reason they haven't been doing that, Bucky needs to play smart and hard for 60 minutes.

OK, Bucky's in a rebuild and change of program. So are a lot of programs. NE who is being ranked above Bucky is in the same shoes. Even Iowa is changing offensive coordinator.

I cannot get on board with a 6 win season.

Bucky has to start winning - and that means, winning the upset sometime, beating those we should beat always, and beating our tier 65-70% of the time.

AND, of course the biggest reason they haven't been doing that, Bucky needs to play smart and hard for 60 minutes.
No, the biggest reason is PC stayed 2 years too long and his recruiting was crap. This isn't 1994.... go look at Alabama and UGA who have dominated for the past few years. They recruit hard and they bring in a high-tier athlete.

Both those programs had a down year before their respective gurus rebuilt...hell even Barry had an awful year 1 before he turned it around. Badger fans need to relax and give it time

Mark, I agree that Paul Chryst seemed to just show up for a couple of years which severely damaged the program. But, we had a down year. Bucky needs to start trending up. It can happen. Have faith. Bucky has enough to do everything I want if they play 60 minutes of football.

Back