2021 Off Season Thread

This is heading towards another Favre/team divorce. Packers ready to move on with the QB and waiting and the other QB will say well if you don't want me set me free or trade me to team I want. No matter what Packers are going to get killed by the fans as most will side with Rodgers as they did with Favre. At best team can learn from mistake and give Rodgers what team he wants as long as it's not in the division. That way both sides will at least be on somewhat good terms if you send Rodgers to a team he wants to play on.
Other than Rodgers being a QB like Favre, I see this in a different way. While both sides made mistakes, I put most of the blame on Brett Favre as he was actively talking about retirement prior to Rodgers being drafted - and when AR dropped to the Packers they took the chance knowing it's REALLY hard to replace someone like Brett - and then he actually retired which forced the Packers to give the reigns to Rodgers. I don't fault the Packers, if they really think Love is the answer, to have him take over when Rodgers retires. This time feels more "forced" by the Packers than with #4 because of the trade up, and contract issues. I think Murphy, Gute and ML feel they are looking out for the future and doing what's right - but to many it feels like they are forcing Rodgers out - opposite of what happened with Favre.

Other than Rodgers being a QB like Favre, I see this in a different way. While both sides made mistakes, I put most of the blame on Brett Favre as he was actively talking about retirement prior to Rodgers being drafted - and when AR dropped to the Packers they took the chance knowing it's REALLY hard to replace someone like Brett - and then he actually retired which forced the Packers to give the reigns to Rodgers. I don't fault the Packers, if they really think Love is the answer, to have him take over when Rodgers retires. This time feels more "forced" by the Packers than with #4 because of the trade up, and contract issues. I think Murphy, Gute and ML feel they are looking out for the future and doing what's right - but to many it feels like they are forcing Rodgers out - opposite of what happened with Favre.
I think that this is a very fair point. Both situations were planned IMO. As to Favre you had to find the successor, it was a matter of when not if. If Ware or Spears drops not sure Rodgers is the pick. And Brandt wrote about how they were fielding calls until the last minutes. But they stayed true to the board. With Love, he was their guy and again the successor was a matter of when not if.

I think Murphy, Gute and ML feel they are looking out for the future and doing what's right - but to many it feels like they are forcing Rodgers out - opposite of what happened with Favre.
This is fair enough. It must be various levels of strange/frustrating/infuriating to many fans when it seems like Packer brass has seemingly more patience and willingness to let things play out for the likes of Dean Lowry or Lane Taylor than they do for Aaron Rodgers.

it seems like Packer brass has seemingly more patience and willingness to let things play out for the likes of Dean Lowry or Lane Taylor than they do for Aaron Rodgers.
yep

or kevin king. or josh jackson. or oren burks. or pretty much anyone else.

we keep all kinds of losers on this team, but we make plans on how to get rid of three-time mvp, first ballot hall-of-famers.

Last edited:
yep

we keep all kinds of losers on this team, but we make plans on how to get rid of three-time mvp, first ballot hall-of-famers.
I don’t think it’s that simple actually. I actually have no issues with planning for 12’s exit. Now how they did it i take exception. As to the others mentioned I would prefer to but bait but it’s been an organization philosophy for decades

yep

It might be just semantics, and I agree that they hold onto certain guys too long, but I'm not sure your characterization of this is quite correct. The team is looking and planning for replacements for these guys all the time, not so much for #12. The year after they drafted King for example, they drafted two more CBs in the first 2 rounds. They are always "planning" to replace most other guys on a regular basis in case of injury, declining play, or inability to afford them. There hadn't been a serious challenger to #12 drafted in over a decade.

Yes, now they are making plans to replace him, and I agree it's looking like they are doing it badly . . . again. Still, his level of security is enjoyed by few other players and while the team has been crappy in terms of finding replacements for "meh" type players, they are drafting guys all the time in hopes of find better options. They would willingly have waved goodbye to Kevin King for example had Josh Jackson or Ka'dar Hollman worked out. That's not because they didn't plan to replace him, just that they did a crappy job in executing their plan.

yep

Burks and Jackson are far from locks to make the roster

Back