Post Game Packers Defeat Eagles

according to overthecap, the 2021 first round tender is expected to be $4,873,000. otc is pretty good at estimating. honestly, that would probably be a bargain for the packers. that's less than the top 16 tight ends (total cash). i'm using total cash because this would be the equivalent of a one-year deal. if you use base salaries, it would be less than the top nine. for comparison, the transition tag for a tight end is estimated to be $8,357,000 in 2021.

If Tonyan keeps it up, we need to sign him. Our front office may need to get creative, but they need to sign him.

Dear Santa: All I want for Christmas is the Packers to get into win now mode. I'll have beer and brats out for you.

if we offer the first round rfa tender, some other team is going to offer him $8 - 10 million per year and put a poison pill in the contract to make it impossible for the packers to match it.

if we offer the first round rfa tender, some other team is going to offer him $8 - 10 million per year and put a poison pill in the contract to make it impossible for the packers to match it.
Can't put posion pills in RFA contracts anymore NFL banned them. Only thing to come close is offering a very high base salary year one. Plus no team is going to give up a 1st round pick for Tonyan IMO.

Can't put posion pills in RFA contracts anymore NFL banned them. Only thing to come close is offering a very high base salary year one. Plus no team is going to give up a 1st round pick for Tonyan IMO.
hope you are right. he's quickly becoming one of the highest rated tight ends in the nfl. he's right up there with kittle and kelce. let's see what happens now that he has a target on his back.

according to overthecap, the 2021 first round tender is expected to be $4,873,000. otc is pretty good at estimating. honestly, that would probably be a bargain for the packers. that's less than the top 16 tight ends (total cash). i'm using total cash because this would be the equivalent of a one-year deal. if you use base salaries, it would be less than the top nine. for comparison, the transition tag for a tight end is estimated to be $8,357,000 in 2021.
If they do an extension rather than a 1st round tender, they can move that $4.8M 2021 cap charge closer to $2.5M 2021 cap charge.
It’s not impossible.

If they do an extension rather than a 1st round tender, they can move that $4.8M 2021 cap charge closer to $2.5M 2021 cap charge.
It’s not impossible.
Lets say he wants a contract in range of Kyle Rudolph to Cameron Brate. You are looking at a 4 year deal in the range of 36-41 million with a 7.5 to 10 SB with a guarantee of 10-12.

This type of deal with increasing the SB and guarantee a little you probably could get Jones to resign and I rather keep Jones over Tonyan.

Last edited:
Lets say he wants a contract in range of Kyle Rudolph to Austin Cameron Brate. You are looking at a 4 year deal in the range of 36-41 million with a 7.5 to 10 SB with a guarantee of 10-12.

This type of deal with increasing the SB and guarantee a little you probably could get Jones to resign and I rather keep Jones over Tonyan.

i wouldn't. it's a lot easier to find a good running back than a top ten tight end. we just drafted aj dillon, who our brain trust believes will be great. if he's even good, that will be good enough. how many years and millions of dollars have spent on finding a replacement for jermichael finley?

I agree on keeping Tonyan over Jones.
A Tonyan 4 yr contract could be done with a SB that averages $2M/yr pro-rata. Pay him a low base in 2021 of 500K and then guarantee a 2022 roster bonus of $6M.
That would give him a minimum guarantee of $14M on the contract ($8M SB and $6M roster).
If they needed a little more guarantee to swing it, then guarantee part of his base in 2022 as well, or propose an additional smaller roster bonus in guaranteed in 2023 ($2M as an example)

Packers have stashed Patrick Taylor on the NFIR list all season.
He becomes the de facto #2 RB if AJ Dillon becomes the #1 RB.
Maybe they decide to hang on yo Weber as well if he’s a good fit for this offense, and it’s another good draft for RB this next yr as well. Maybe not a lot of 1st round type talent, but real good Day 2 and early Day 3 talent available.

Back