Post Game Packers Defeat Eagles

He’s a RFA, so it depends on how high a tender they give him.
But it might make sense to sign him to a long term deal this off-season because they could structure it to make the 2021 cap hit less than his RFA tender

Keeping Tonyan is going to be difficult, unless they admit he's potentially the best in the league and pony up accordingly. He's worked for comparative peanuts, and not once have they tried to upgrade his contract to consider him going forward.

I believe he showed enough last year that they should have seen where he was heading. A lot of people, even on this board, talked about him as being possibly our best TE even then. The front office was asleep at the switch. It's going to cost dearly now.

Disagree. In 2019 Tonyan played in 11 games, started 1. He had 10 catches on 15 targets for 100 yds and 1 TD.
Hardly the kind of performance you make an extension based on.
Now, he had a hip and core injury which hampered him, but he was still a big question mark, with potential.
And they don’t give out big extensions on potential.

Disagree. In 2019 Tonyan played in 11 games, started 1. He had 10 catches on 15 targets for 100 yds and 1 TD.
Hardly the kind of performance you make an extension based on.
Now, he had a hip and core injury which hampered him, but he was still a big question mark, with potential.
And they don’t give out big extensions on potential.

i sort of agree with you, but i feel like he was never really given the chance to show his stuff because we had jimmy graham and marcedes lewis and the rookie all looking for game time. he worked out with kittle not just this offseason but the last one as well. i think this is just another case of our personnel people not understanding their own players. anyway, i'd put at least a 2nd round tender on him, if not a first. but only if i can't work out an extension with him. hopefully he values the connection that he has built with rodgers.

Again.
An extension would have been based on potential rather than performance, and I’m not even sure that Tonyan would have agreed to do it if he believed in himself.
2nd round tender might make sense, but I would worry some other team makes him an offer the Packers can’t match.
I’d rather have Tonyan than someone’s 2nd rounder at the moment.

If we can only have 1, I'd keep Tonyan.

I think Jones is really good. But, I think it's easier to find a running back. We've found a lot of running backs that were better than average. We haven't found many tight ends.

Did not know this until I saw this. With the victory vs the Eagles the Packers became the first team in NFL history with 800 wins including playoffs.

Back