Post Game Packers Defeat Eagles

Packers have stashed Patrick Taylor on the NFIR list all season.
He becomes the de facto #2 RB if AJ Dillon becomes the #1 RB.
Maybe they decide to hang on yo Weber as well if he’s a good fit for this offense, and it’s another good draft for RB this next yr as well. Maybe not a lot of 1st round type talent, but real good Day 2 and early Day 3 talent available.
Sorry I think you let Jones and Williams both and replace him with Dillon and Taylor I think you go from top 5 RB group to a bottom 5 RB group.

hope you are right. he's quickly becoming one of the highest rated tight ends in the nfl. he's right up there with kittle and kelce. let's see what happens now that he has a target on his back.

Should be a good thing for the offensive game plan as now defenses have to account for him. He's done a great job this year for sure

Maybe I’m way off about Tonyan but I’m not sure I see the same player that others do. He’s the first legit run/block TE we’ve had in a long time but I don’t see him as the type of player that needs to be accounted for. James Jones had 14 TDs one year, 8 or 10 another year - no defense ever adjusted to account for him. Kinda the same in my mind.

Maybe I’m way off about Tonyan but I’m not sure I see the same player that others do. He’s the first legit run/block TE we’ve had in a long time but I don’t see him as the type of player that needs to be accounted for. James Jones had 14 TDs one year, 8 or 10 another year - no defense ever adjusted to account for him. Kinda the same in my mind.

I totally get what you're saying. Maybe me saying "accounted for" was a bad word choice. I'm not saying that a team totally changes their game plan because of him but you have to know when he's on the field. He has become another weapon. I think he's growing and should continue to grow in this offense. He fits. I give Tonyan and ML credit.

As for contract and all that money stuff, I have no clue. On one hand, are we just over excited, as fans, because we know what a Kittle meant to San Frans offense? Kelce to KC, etc.? Are we over excited because it feels like we've been waiting forever for a threat at TE? On the other hand, do we know that Tonyan's best days are ahead of him and he has a high ceiling? You sure don't want to pay top dollar for the type of production the Packers have been getting at TE for that last decade or so. It's gonna be interesting to see how the front office handles it.

Tight end stats 2020

For 2020 Tonyan ranks #13 in yds per game, but he’s tied with Kelce for most TD’s with 8.
Right now the asking price for a contract may not be as much as has been discussed, but (suttle but) if he makes the pro bowl this year that price is going to jump by quite a bit.
Just say’in

Personally and I know this will not be a popular opinion but I would let Z Smith, P Smith, Kirksey, Wagner, and Lowry go. Gary replaces P Smith, Martin or Barnes are just as good as Kirksey, Wagner is easily replaced, and Lowry is certainly not worth his price tag. Z Smith, IMO only rushes the passer. He is horrible against the run and never sets the edge. That is about 31M saved in cap space. We would then have about 14M available next year after Baks money comes off. That is enough to sign Tonyan. I just do not see how we can sign Jones at this point but I am not a great cap mind either. I think we can draft another d-lineman or outside LB in the draft to replace Z Smith.

Again JMHO.

The only way I can see the Packers hanging on to both Tonyan and Jones is to write contracts with heavily guaranteed money over the course of the entire contract. Use an escalator clause for each year, and take the risk that they're going to give back the results you've paid for. That said, I'd be more skeptical doing it for Jones.

Personally and I know this will not be a popular opinion but I would let Z Smith, P Smith, Kirksey, Wagner, and Lowry go. Gary replaces P Smith, Martin or Barnes are just as good as Kirksey, Wagner is easily replaced, and Lowry is certainly not worth his price tag. Z Smith, IMO only rushes the passer. He is horrible against the run and never sets the edge. That is about 31M saved in cap space. We would then have about 14M available next year after Baks money comes off. That is enough to sign Tonyan. I just do not see how we can sign Jones at this point but I am not a great cap mind either. I think we can draft another d-lineman or outside LB in the draft to replace Z Smith.

Again JMHO.
And we have a defense that then gives up 40-50 points a game because we never get one pressure on the QB.

The only way I can see the Packers hanging on to both Tonyan and Jones is to write contracts with heavily guaranteed money over the course of the entire contract. Use an escalator clause for each year, and take the risk that they're going to give back the results you've paid for. That said, I'd be more skeptical doing it for Jones.
That's against the Packers MO. Packers historically have always never pushed out guaranteed money beyond a 2nd year unless you are Aaron Rodgers.

Back