Passing Game

Difference between straight line speed and quick twitch movements. Janis is our fastest guy but he's slow and not very fluid in and out of breaks. Compare to Amandola and the other guy on the Pats, similar players. Very fast in and out of breaks and Brady is decisive hitting them at the right time. Montgomery has potential that way and so does Adams but it's really hard to do on a bum ankle, which both guys have. Cobb is great at it but now he's drawing extra coverage which no NE receiver has to deal with because of the Gronk monster. Say what you want about Finley, a D had to know where he was. Right now a D coach could come off the sideline and cover R Rodgers, he's a non factor.

I will always be of the opinion Finley was overpaid and not as good as he thought he was. However, i do have a new appreciation that he was at the very least an above average TE who was an actual threat when he was on the field. GB's TE are just not a threat at all, and can't really block all that well.. TT has really dropped the ball in terms of the TE position.

The difference is NE has Gronk. And Gb has nobody that the D really has to worry about double teaming. That and GB coaches don't seem to be as good at game planning and scheming.

Edelman is a damn good receiver

I bet ya I could scheme a few more open looks. My game plan wouldn't involve so many damn deep routes, and would include a lot of passes that are thrown out of three-step drops.

The last few games I've hardly seen any route combinations that are designed to get a guy open enough to throw to.

It's not like we are facing complicated coverages. It's tight man. Unless you can we one and one match ups not much matters.

And when 4 of your top 5 receivers are out or not at 100 percent it creates a perfect storm. Adding to that you have a guy like Janis who cannot run more than a simple go route.

If you have guys who can't beat their man ono-on-one, you use bunched or stacked formations in combination with short slants, curls, and outs to get a guy open. Heck, teams cross-route us to death. It'd be nice to see it used.

Curl and out routes still require your receivers to run precise routes and beat coverage. As was pointed out in another post Janis ha great straight line speed but is slow out of breaks.

For better or worse athis is a compllicated scheme. Hard to tear it apart 8 weeks in.

I get the frustration. But we've seen this coming for 8 weeks. This system is built on packages. Yes losing Nelson is big but the loss of Montgomery is bigger than I though it woukd be. Imo he ran better routes than Adams and had the size to get separation.

I'm more frustrated with the overall lack of quality depth on this team. Yep thanks Ted

How many teams actually have quality depth past 3 WRs, or 1 TE or 5 OL, or 3 CBs? I don't think depth is as big an issue as you are saying either. You mentioned the perfect storm.

Packers have lost starting ILB for the year, Starting TE on IR designated to return, starting RB for a couple games, starting safety for several games, starting CB for a couple games and this week we have 4 questionable, starting WR for the season as well as two that have missed several games each. If the system is as complex as we seem to think it is then Montgomery and Adams are still in the learning curve. I agree you can't change the scheme completely mid season. It can be tinkered with and new wrinkles can be put in. Belicheck does it every week. Why can't GB? I put this more on MM, Clements and Capers than TT.

How many teams actually have quality depth past 3 WRs, or 1 TE or 5 OL, or 3 CBs? I don't think depth is as big an issue as you are saying either. You mentioned the perfect storm.

Packers have lost starting ILB for the year, Starting TE on IR designated to return, starting RB for a couple games, starting safety for several games, starting CB for a couple games and this week we have 4 questionable, starting WR for the season as well as two that have missed several games each. If the system is as complex as we seem to think it is then Montgomery and Adams are still in the learning curve. I agree you can't change the scheme completely mid season. It can be tinkered with and new wrinkles can be put in. Belicheck does it every week. Why can't GB? I put this more on MM, Clements and Capers than TT.
linebackers for new EnglandH.Hightower Mayo. CollIns. Jones at DE . Better talent. On offense. Gronk. Edelmen. Amendola. Better than. Cobb Adams Jones BlountL.Lacy? Good lord this team is 6-2. Based on our depth taI'll ke it

I get where you're going and I appreciate the hell out of it, but, Barrington at ILB is a fluke. He wasn't gonna be a world beater. When you have chicken guck on your roster, chicken soup is not always made. Quality depth is an issue. Packers have swallowed an enormous amount of injury debt this year. They did last year. It's how they look. The eyeball test. They do not look good.

Last edited:
which totally ignores the fact that none of the catches he has so far were on a simple go route.

Of his 2 catches one was on a a shovel pass aon a broken play. The other not even intended for him. An overthrow. 5 total targets.

Back