Passing Game

eyecatcher

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of discussion of Eddie being fat and out of shape and also about his ankle injury. Both are valid concerns but one thing I have noticed is Lacy is not being utilized in the passing game at all. Last year Lacy had 43 receptions on 55 targets. This year he has 10 receptions on 14 targets. Starks is on about the same pace as last year for receptions and targets or maybe even slightly ahead of last year but overall they aren't using the RBs in the passing game much at all.

Another item of note is regarding passing yards.

Last year Rodgers threw 252 passes from 1-10 yards and 118 passes from 11-20 yards. This year he has thrown 95 from 1-10 and 41 from 11 - 20. That's 360 passes from 1-20 yards last year and only 136 through 7 games this year which is on pace for 310 passes from 1-20 yards this season. The numbers for the other distances are about the same as last year.
We have all seen guys open in the short patterns and Aaron either doesn't see them or is refusing to pass to them.

I also saw someone point out that Rodgers is 2nd to last in pass attempts this year.

For this offense to be successful I think it is imperative that Rodgers pass attempts increase and the frequency of the short passes has to increase.

CLP)thumbsup good stuff!

it is odd.. especially since all our RB are decent pass catchers. Even Kuhn when he needs to.

didn't Mm say something before the season about concentrating more on running? also thought I remember something about "up tempo" offense.

guess they need to work on that..

to be honest my gut feeling is that Clements has an idea of how he wants to run this offense, which isn't exactly what MM wants, and so MM is holding Clements back by insisting on some of his old play calling tendencies. Which means we have a hybrid of Clements and MM which doesn't allow for either one to really be successful. MM is micro-managing.

The issue is not McCarthy or Clements. It's lack of talent at wr

Our group of receivers could not get separation versus tight man coverage. That's been apparent since week 1. Fact-- Richard Rodgers has more targets than James Jones. Bottom line the offense cannot sustain a drive hence low pass attempt count.

Also Adams and Cobb are not healthy. It's a perfect storm. Your top 3 receivers are either out or banged up. Your number 3 guy is pedestrian at times and the climb etc 4 guy is also out

If the WRs can't get separation why continually run them on deep patterns. We don't see seam routes or crossing routes or screens or check downs. I agree there is talent issues at WR. Jones and Cobb are both nice complimentary receivers when there is a good wideout at the #1.

If the WRs can't get separation why continually run them on deep patterns. We don't see seam routes or crossing routes or screens or check downs. I agree there is talent issues at WR. Jones and Cobb are both nice complimentary receivers when there is a good wideout at the #1.

They don't run an assigned route on every play. A lot of times the OC brings in a "package" of players and gives Aaron a suggested play HOWEVER he is adjusting and calling most plays at the line pre snap.

Kind of hard to blame the WR or coaching staff when #12 is the guy reading the D.... adjusting his routes etc AND throwing the ball. sick:)D

They don't run an assigned route on every play. A lot of times the OC brings in a "package" of players and gives Aaron a suggested play HOWEVER he is adjusting and calling most plays at the line pre snap.

Kind of hard to blame the WR or coaching staff when #12 is the guy reading the D.... adjusting his routes etc AND throwing the ball. sick:)D

Interesting thought. So does that mean Arod can't handle it? Or he's been given too long of a leash? It is not an easy thing for a QB to do. Other than Manning not sure who else has that complete a free reign over plays...

Anyone know if Favre called his own plays?

I wouldn't trade Arod for any other QB past or present. However, what you get with Arod is all of Arod, both his talent and his foibles. My impression is that Arod is out to prove he's the best of the best. Nothing wrong with that. Ego and pride are good and common to athletes. Give Arod an opening and he'll take advantage of it better than the best of them. But sometimes I think his striving to be the best makes him risk averse.

As we all know, Favre took pride in his gunslinger reputation, so he had no problem setting records for both TD's and INT's. Performing in risky situations was his forte. I think Arod takes pride in getting the job done without making errors. When game circumstances make this difficult or impossible, Arod hesitates some and for just that rare moment or that rare game isn't the best QB on the planet anymore. Just my opinion.

to be honest I don't think we have seen Arods limit yet. If he was a little less risk averse I think he becomes near unstoppable. Even in the playoffs..

but like Mark said this issue is more than just one position. so a lot of things need to improve to get back on track...

Back