Pack squeaks out win in KC

Not calling him a bust just saying he's a disappointment so far. I just want to see him get out on the field. Seems he is going to be a big project player. But I guess that was the thought when we picked him that he had the talent could he just get motivated to use it. I understand behind the Smith's he can't get much playing time. That's why I wonder if moving him around could help him get more PT and develop. Is he not getting the defense that they don't want to try him at DL or put him in at ILB?

Don't think it's about getting the D, when I watch him he just seems to be nibbling around the edges of everything. He lacks the ability to bend around the edge like a CMIII so he needs to learn to play like the Smiths - violent bull rush, counter moves off of that, learn to flatten to the QB. Really doesn't seem to be leaning in at all, he seems to be hesitant.

Don't think it's about getting the D, when I watch him he just seems to be nibbling around the edges of everything. He lacks the ability to bend around the edge like a CMIII so he needs to learn to play like the Smiths - violent bull rush, counter moves off of that, learn to flatten to the QB. Really doesn't seem to be leaning in at all, he seems to be hesitant.
Agreed.

He's athletic, explosive and has that burst. He just doesn't have an actual move to finish a rush. If he can incorporate a good technique he'll pass up Fackrell quickly. The good news is technique is coach-able. The bad news is patience will be required. Fortunately we have the Smith duo.

Last edited:
Agreed.

He's athletic, explosive and has that burst. He just doesn't have an actual move to finish a rush. If he can incorporate proper technique he'll pass up Fackrell quickly. The good news is technique is coach-able. The bad news is patience will be required. Fortunately we have the Smith duo.

To your point, just look at Z Smith's second sack yesterday. Z is inside with Gary on the edge against the LT. Gary strikes the LT so hard he throws him backwards on skates, and then.... his feet just kind of stop. Finish him off! If Gary ripped around the edge while he was off balance he would've had the sack. As it was knocking the LT backwards basically put him in Moore's lap while Z hunted like a mad dog so it worked out, but it's an example of him being kinda of there but kind of not.

249 passing
88 yards rushing

Not a terrible day for the D. And that's with all the shitty tackling. I attribute the shitty tackling to the Chiefs having the extra rest. Our D isn't usually like that.

Get off the field on 3rd down.

249 passing
88 yards rushing

Not a terrible day for the D. And that's with all the shitty tackling. I attribute the shitty tackling to the Chiefs having the extra rest. Our D isn't usually like that.

Don't know about that we have seen shitty tackling as a trade mark of Packers D for years including this year. Look at last week Raiders at this team up in passing game with poor coverage and tackling.

249 passing
88 yards rushing

extra rest was what 2 - 3 days? that had nothing to do with bad tackling, thats been happening since week 1

Big picture, I know the margin for error is small, but at the same time: road wins at Chicago, Dallas and KC. Won games where the D dominated. Won games where the O put on a show. Won games where they went up early and hung on. Won games where they spun their wheels and came back at the end. We aren't a dominant team, I'd put us at #3 or 4 in the NFC BUT we have the ability to beat any other team in the NFC. Maybe not 9 times out of 10, but they've got the character and roster IMO to do it.

On the defense, I think a couple things happened. One, Savage isn't right by any stretch. He played and gutted it out but that ankle is still hurting him. Lot of people trashing Kevin King and his tackling but honestly, how much higher is his ceiling than the way he's played this year? His groin is holding back his speed some, but couple picks, mostly good games covering, some bad covering, and most importantly he has a permanent bum shoulder. You can't expect that guy to run up and throw his shoulder into guys in big collisions, it'll break him. So what you see is what you get. He's going to dive and try to leg tackle because that's what he needs to do to stay on the field. Is what it is, he's a good but limited player.

And also, how about a tip of the cap to those Chiefs players and Andy Reid? Hill, Hardiman and Watkins and Kelce all have a ton of juice, they're going to break tackles and run away from diving tackle attempts and the Packers aren't the first or only D to suffer that fate. They're a really talented bunch and all things considered, we weren't blown up by them by any stretch. Call it a win, move on.

I didn't love the pick either but look, he's 21. And he's also an immature 21. My cousin played with him years ago, went to school with him. They know the family. Nice kid but immature. Right now he's a physically gifted boy playing with men and he's going to need to develop. Yes, Burns would've been the impact EDGE for this year, but I think they like the ability of Gary to develop into a Z Smith type and the traits are there. Not this year though, which is a shame, but also a bad take to call him a bust 8 games into his career.

his production in comparison to his draft position is my complaint. it's very similar to all the complaints people made about hawk. hawk was a very consistent player for the packers for many years, but certainly not the kind of player that you expect to get at #5. Gary was clearly overrated. and almost everyone not on the packers staff seemed to know it.

his production in comparison to his draft position is my complaint. it's very similar to all the complaints people made about hawk. hawk was a very consistent player for the packers for many years, but certainly not the kind of player that you expect to get at #5. Gary was clearly overrated. and almost everyone not on the packers staff seemed to know it.
But when you look at the 2006 draft the top 10 and for the most part round 1 was at best average, maybe Vernon Davis was the only plus pick I the top 15 - 20. Gary was a boom or bust guy and I am not going to write him off after 8 weeks but the rap on him at UM was consistency and motivation.

But when you look at the 2006 draft the top 10 and for the most part round 1 was at best average, maybe Vernon Davis was the only plus pick I the top 15 - 20. Gary was a boom or bust guy and I am not going to write him off after 8 weeks but the rap on him at UM was consistency and motivation.
Yes 2006 draft was the worst year pretty much ever to have a top 5 pick. That whole draft was bad for talent.

Back