Wisconsin Football: Instant reactions to Wisconsin’s loss to Penn State

I agree with Brisker. I mentioned it some time ago. Mertz would lock on one receiver, end of progression.

I agree with Brisker. I mentioned it some time ago. Mertz would lock on one receiver, end of progression.
My takeaway from his comment was play selection. The TE seam route to Ferguson was the only route concept that worked and they went to the well to much. Brisker just sat on the route and jumped it. It became predictable. Agreed he locks on to his first read also. It seems one read routes are his comfort zone

My takeaway from his comment was play selection. The TE seam route to Ferguson was the only route concept that worked and they went to the well to much. Brisker just sat on the route and jumped it. It became predictable. Agreed he locks on to his first read also. It seems one read routes are his comfort zone
That was part of the problem too. Play selection. I felt they were talking about both issues at the same time. I watched several segments of the broadcast that showed Mertz face at pre-snap, and when he dropped into the pocket. About half the time he was rushed so hard that he didn't have time to go through any progressions, and the rest of the time he was reacting as if he was under pressure. His eyes told the whole story, and he was locked one a singular receiver most of the time.

Mark mentioned the coaching aspect from the start. No doubt about it, that played hell with the offense. They had no answers to anything PSU did on defense, and adding to the woes, the RBs could not see the cut backs on plays where a granny with a walker could have ripped off 5-10 yards.

At this point, I'm asking myself if it's that coaching, or their lack of ability/vision.

A lot of questionable situations on offense. As far as the few breakdowns on defense, in the deep secondary, I think they happened because the Badgers defense was trying to make plays on the field to cover for the offense.

That was part of the problem too. Play selection. I felt they were talking about both issues at the same time. I watched several segments of the broadcast that showed Mertz face at pre-snap, and when he dropped into the pocket. About half the time he was rushed so hard that he didn't have time to go through any progressions, and the rest of the time he was reacting as if he was under pressure. His eyes told the whole story, and he was locked one a singular receiver most of the time.

Mark mentioned the coaching aspect from the start. No doubt about it, that played hell with the offense. They had no answers to anything PSU did on defense, and adding to the woes, the RBs could not see the cut backs on plays where a granny with a walker could have ripped off 5-10 yards.

At this point, I'm asking myself if it's that coaching, or their lack of ability/vision.

A lot of questionable situations on offense. As far as the few breakdowns on defense, in the deep secondary, I think they happened because the Badgers defense was trying to make plays on the field to cover for the offense.
If you watched the Clemson game that was telling. If Mellusi was RB 3 or 4 there thats concerning because those backs were pedestrian. I get UGA is good and that an understatement on D but they seemed slow and indecisive.

As to Mertz, and I mentioned this before, the sack and fumble which was reversed, Dike was cutting open and he never had time. On the flip side, it seems his comfort level is one read routes like the last drive. I tend to lean on the latter and thats concerning. Sure pass pro was poor but the progression thing was an issue last year also.

As to defense, Nelson bit on pump fake and some communication issues but I dont think it was to cover for the offense. Bottom line they had a FG blocked, red zone fumbles, poor OL play and questionable play calling and had a shot to win.

As to Mertz, and I mentioned this before, the sack and fumble which was reversed, Dike was cutting open and he never had time. On the flip side, it seems his comfort level is one read routes like the last drive. I tend to lean on the latter and thats concerning. Sure pass pro was poor but the progression thing was an issue last year also.
He's a spread QB, they knew that recruiting him. ( If it quacks like a ...) Pass pro wasn't poor it was awful same as last year and it all goes back to the man coaching that group. If they aren't ready to play there is nowhere else to look.

He's a spread QB, they knew that recruiting him. ( If it quacks like a ...) Pass pro wasn't poor it was awful same as last year and it all goes back to the man coaching that group. If they aren't ready to play there is nowhere else to look.
I get the OL and agree, but the QB was also recruited by OSU, LSU, Bama, Michigan and more so its not that he was offered by App State. Get the level of competition issues but he is year 3 in the program and still has the same issues. Sometimes the issues are between the ears

I get the OL and agree, but the QB was also recruited by OSU, LSU, Bama, Michigan and more so its not that he was offered by App State. Get the level of competition issues but he is year 3 in the program and still has the same issues. Sometimes the issues are between the ears
Just because so and so recruited him doesn't mean he would have ever seen the field there honestly, go back and watch his HS Hudl. The competition he was going against was slow. 100% honest here... he's a D2 QB most likely. People got hung up on stars etc.

Just because so and so recruited him doesn't mean he would have ever seen the field there honestly, go back and watch his HS Hudl. The competition he was going against was slow. 100% honest here... he's a D2 QB most likely. People got hung up on stars etc.
and thats fair but I can see if there was one of 2 outliers that offered but it was a "who's who" that did. Granted some offers were after the Elite camp. There are so many things to point to, OL issues, WR issues, no bell cow RB. I hope I am wrong but Brisker's comment pointed to a dumbed down plan.

I am not going to beat a dead horse, but on 2nd & goal from the 6 and run play for you RB 3 does not scream confidence. Does PC normally run that yes to your point but thats with a dominate OL and Taylor type back, not a questionable OL and RB3 in the game.

To many little things are pointing the wrong way here, hope I am wrong

Or your HC and staff is overconfident in the team they have or completely out of touch?
very possible. Not going to discount that. Overconfident would be an error of epic proportions.

Not completely the same but UW hitched their horse to Mertz and GB did Love. Coan while not a All American showed he can win, they cut bait. Rodgers was more "culture" for him but the organization also failed there also. There was nothing that showed last year that was the right call and even more so now.

Back