Wisconsin Football: Instant reactions to Wisconsin’s loss to Penn State

At this level it’s not handed to you. You don’t let talent sit with the exception of QB and maybe RB. If he can help you win he plays
If he is going to be a fulltime RB in future he redshirt him

So basically the same as the last 5 years san 1-2 wins. And based on cross over games that’s about what they are
Big Ten is pretty much and will be for future the East fighting for 2nd place and the West fighting to lose in the B1G title game.

It’s average talent. Across the board and probably some cases underachieving talent
Makes you wonder if UW can find the coaches who can be able to go out pound the pavement and recurit better.

Makes you wonder if UW can find the coaches who can be able to go out pound the pavement and recurit better.
It’s not that simple. And quite honestly I’m not sure if that equals more than 10 -11 wins each year or even challenges OSU. The built in recruiting advantages of Michigan, OSU & PSU go beyond the academic challenges.

Sam Darnold said he was seeign ghosts last year on the field. I think same thing with Mertz. He's ratted thinking pass rush is coming quicker then it is rushing his throw making bad throws. The OL is getting pushed backwards way to much. Mellusi is a ok backup but not a feature back. Badgers WR's are likely a lock in the bottom 5 of all Power 5's. Coaching staff can't adjust in game. There are lots of issues with this team. Right now I don't know if the team had the talent or the coaching to be able to turn this around.
Just let this sink in. He put the ball on the turf with bad exchanges 2x in the red zone. He had 1st and goal from the 1 with 2:38 and went backwards. That’s inexcusable at this level. That’s not about pass rush or WR or pressure. That’s football 101.

I was at the game and in Madison. To say the OL played poorly is an understatement. In pass pro they were awful, in the run game inconsistent. Mellusi is slow to the hole more often then not on inside run plays, I had two former coach's sitting with us just losing it on the backs missing the cutback lane in the first half. Yes, play calling sucked. On Mertz, once he is rattled he loses his poise.

The front 7 on defense was great but the backend got lucky more then it might have looked on TV, it's a problem that isn't going to go away.

The team played in cement shoes in this game and thats on PC and his staff, a lot of the same issues from last season remain.
Torchio and Nelson both got schooled.

Just let this sink in. He put the ball on the turf with bad exchanges 2x in the red zone. He had 1st and goal from the 1 with 2:38 and went backwards. That’s inexcusable at this level. That’s not about pass rush or WR or pressure. That’s football 101.
Absolutely spot on

Ouch….
Jaquan Brisker on zoom now. Compared Wisconsin's play selection to playing Madden. If it works, keep running it. That played into his pick. "Once they like one thing they're gonna keep going to it."

Ouch….
Jaquan Brisker on zoom now. Compared Wisconsin's play selection to playing Madden. If it works, keep running it. That played into his pick. "Once they like one thing they're gonna keep going to it."
He might be being nice.

They were all over Ferguson's routes in the red zone. They didn't intercept but forced him off his route twice in a row by recognizing and standing on his point. Even his one handed bobble, he was covered.

Mertz only had eyes for him and not in the good way.

Back