Wisconsin Football: Instant reactions to Wisconsin’s loss to Penn State

One thing I am beginning to question is some of the moves that Alvarez made as AD in regards to the FB program. I do think that elevating BB was the right call but clearly he missed on Anderson and now some questions about Chryst. Hiring PC was the easy hire, UW blood, played at UW and probably the feeling was to reinstall the UW / Alvarez culture. Barry had done so much for the program it’s hard to be critical but he’s Teflon in Madison. Nobody was going to question him or challenge him. See the McIntosh hire. My fear is not Chryst as much as what happens if a move needs to be made. I just don’t have the confidence in McIntosh to make the right move and take the cardinal and white glasses off
I don't think there's any doubt that Alvarez has followed the Cardinal and White approach to hires. After the Anderson fiasco, he probably decided he'd be better off not kicking tires, and stick with what people would like, without question.

To be honest, I've never been 100% on board with either Chryst or Gard. There's something about that laid back facade both have. I know I shouldn't be skeptical, but I've never trusted people that act way too nice on the surface. But, that's just me, and the way I think about people. It comes from being a cop. Never met a guilty person. At least, that's what they tried to tell me.

I don't think there's any doubt that Alvarez has followed the Cardinal and White approach to hires. After the Anderson fiasco, he probably decided he'd be better off not kicking tires, and stick with what people would like, without question.

To be honest, I've never been 100% on board with either Chryst or Gard. There's something about that laid back facade both have. I know I shouldn't be skeptical, but I've never trusted people that act way too nice on the surface. But, that's just me, and the way I think about people. It comes from being a cop. Never met a guilty person. At least, that's what they tried to tell me.
Gard I was and still am. Behind the curtain he was the lead recruiter, was just as involved in game plan and scheme as Bo. It was a natural move and yes for continuity. I don’t think either is “laid back”, more they don’t have the Calipari charisma or the aura of Saban. And honestly Wisconsin media does not push the buttons.

I’ve always wondered how Bobby Knight would have worked at UW if he did not back out. I just have this sense that he was oil and water to want UW was then. Don Nehlen was the second choice behind Barry for the UW job. Probably an upgrade but long term not sure he sustains the program. It’s amazing how history shapes a school/ program. If McClain would have lived would Barry ever get to Madison?

I’ve always wondered how Bobby Knight would have worked at UW if he did not back out. I just have this sense that he was oil and water to want UW was then. Don Nehlen was the second choice behind Barry for the UW job. Probably an upgrade but long term not sure he sustains the program. It’s amazing how history shapes a school/ program. If McClain would have lived would Barry ever get to Madison?
Agreed. What I would have liked to have seen is Alvarez go after Bennett real hard. The guy inherited all the good points of his Dad, and not the bad ones.

Just guessing, he would have set his sights on a national championship.

Agreed. What I would have liked to have seen is Alvarez go after Bennett real hard. The guy inherited all the good points of his Dad, and not the bad ones.

Just guessing, he would have set his sights on a national championship.
Well Daddy Bennett was no fan of UW after what they pulled with Soderberg. There was not love fest. Things have improved a lot over the years but there was friction

Soderberg's a nice guy. I met him when he was coaching at Loras. My son was a junior, and a friend of his was thinking about going to Loras. He wanted to have my son go with him, so he said he would. At the last minute, the boy's father had to bail, so I took them over.

It was just a day visit, and he got to see the campus, and in the process, we met Brad. A nice guy. Can't tell you much about his coaching skills, but a likeable person from what I saw.

The kid decided to go a different route, and ended up playing DII ball for an Illinois in-state college. Nice campus over there, but not very large. We were only on the campus for about 5 hours.

As I look at how his career has gone, he's a recruiter (I think) at Virginia, working with Bennett. I wonder why he hasn't gone up the ladder.

Soderberg's a nice guy. I met him when he was coaching at Loras. My son was a junior, and a friend of his was thinking about going to Loras. He wanted to have my son go with him, so he said he would. At the last minute, the boy's father had to bail, so I took them over.

It was just a day visit, and he got to see the campus, and in the process, we met Brad. A nice guy. Can't tell you much about his coaching skills, but a likeable person from what I saw.

The kid decided to go a different route, and ended up playing DII ball for an Illinois in-state college. Nice campus over there, but not very large. We were only on the campus for about 5 hours.

As I look at how his career has gone, he's a recruiter (I think) at Virginia, working with Bennett. I wonder why he hasn't gone up the ladder.
well his stint at St Louis was at best up and down, missed the tournament for 3 straight years. Ironic he was replaced by Majerus

Looking back, I do remember that there were mixed emotions about his leaving Pitt. He hadn't done much to make them a better team. But, that was kind of misleading, because his main body of recruiting was just about to be a productive part of the Pitt program. I'm speaking particularly of their offensive line. Granted, the defense was a shambles. Not certain how to address that problem.

As far as the locker room, I can't say what the feelings were. I'm still in a quandry on that at Wisconsin. He seems so laid back that it's kind of hard to gauge what the feelings are, behind the scenes. As far as his choosing the pecking order of players, I can't say he did, or didn't do the right things, with the offense. On defense, I think that's on Leonhard's shoulders.

My questions revolve more around Rudolph. Is he a problem, instead of a help? He seems to be trying to "move up" and I'm not certain there's any place for him to go at this point, except to another organization as a HC. That said, why haven't schools been working hard to get him to join them? I think Temple was the only school to interview him? Can't recall for sure.

Then there's the pay scale situation. Last year they gave Rudolph a pay cut and changed his responsibilities. I wonder if there's some resentment there? After all, he was an assistant in Madison for 10 years, and here comes Leonhard, who gets a raise, and is now making just short of twice what Rudolph is. Does it matter? I don't know to be honest.

But, I do think that this year will be the last one with Rudolph being a coach at Wisconsin. I see a change coming. In all honestly, for the better. He's been there 10 years, and has watched Chryst, who was an assistant leave for Pitt, then come back - over him as HC. Then the Leonhard situation. There has to be some degree of resentment there. It's just plain human nature.

So, what do you see Mark?
I see a HC who is trying to hang on to the same old same old way too much. If he was an HS coach in WI he would have 350 wins and be a legend, however, that really doesn't translate to the next level in this case. PC is a favorite like Barry of the WFCA. He goes and gives WI kids from smaller schools a shot, that fine and dandy here and there but my god you need to be looking for skills players from the SE, Texas, California, etc a whole lot more. Even Barry was doing that.

The team hasn't looked right going on season 3 in terms of offense and even ST has been iffy at times. While I know Jim L who is also a legacy coach is a fan favorite a lot of the exotic blitz packages he has been leftover from a previous era.

Joe R was a coach that Pitt fans and players had the most issues with. He could do no wrong in PC eyes even though he made big blunders. I see that translating to UW now, once your team sees that kind of accountability it spirals throughout the program.

Why is Bob Bostad coaching ILB when his Badger OL was impeccable? Because PC doesn't have what it takes to fire his buddy and do what's best for the program that's why and that move along with a QB coach is badly needed to rectify the issues.

Straight talk here, UW Football is getting stale. In 1995 that's no big deal but in today's college football you have to motivate these kids daily. You just can't talk UW tradition blah blah blah. It's carrying over to Saturday's more and more.

Reactions: TW
I see a HC who is trying to hang on to the same old same old way too much. If he was an HS coach in WI he would have 350 wins and be a legend, however, that really doesn't translate to the next level in this case. PC is a favorite like Barry of the WFCA. He goes and gives WI kids from smaller schools a shot, that fine and dandy here and there but my god you need to be looking for skills players from the SE, Texas, California, etc a whole lot more. Even Barry was doing that.

The team hasn't looked right going on season 3 in terms of offense and even ST has been iffy at times. While I know Jim L who is also a legacy coach is a fan favorite a lot of the exotic blitz packages he has been leftover from a previous era.

Joe R was a coach that Pitt fans and players had the most issues with. He could do no wrong in PC eyes even though he made big blunders. I see that translating to UW now, once your team sees that kind of accountability it spirals throughout the program.

Why is Bob Bostad coaching ILB when his Badger OL was impeccable? Because PC doesn't have what it takes to fire his buddy and do what's best for the program that's why and that move along with a QB coach is badly needed to rectify the issues.

Straight talk here, UW Football is getting stale. In 1995 that's no big deal but in today's college football you have to motivate these kids daily. You just can't talk UW tradition blah blah blah. It's carrying over to Saturday's more and more.
Not much I can disagree with there. I have a little more confidence in Leonhard than you do. I think he's done a good job maintaining the status quo, because it's of what's being produced through their recruiting. There's no need to have 42 of the 83 scholarship players from the state of Wisconsin. We've talked about how they need to do more nationwide recruiting. It's like they grab the low hanging fruit in Wisconsin, and are satisfied with them, figuring they can "coach them up." That only works to a certain level.

I've stated for a long time that Rudolph has to go. If he does, I think it will be because Chryst was dismissed as well. I don't see him dumping him. Bostad is being wasted. He should be handling the offensive line. They need a real offensive coordinator, with vision, and an eye for nationwide recruiting.

But, as long as Chryst is there, we'll slip lower as time goes on, because nobody has the balls to hire and include anyone who hasn't got a Badger pedigree.

I think Barry got into a rut of using the safe choices. Badger pedigree and everyone is happy about the choices, even when you get beat.

The million dollar gorilla in the room is that for $4m or so your not going to attract talent unless your willing to open up the checkbook and that includes the assistant pool. 10 win seasons make the bank account look good. Now to Marks point on things getting stale, season ticket numbers are down but to be fair that’s national not just a Madison issue.

I don’t know what the answer is, your are what you are when it comes to recruiting, your facilities are average and your budgets are not Fort Knox

Back