Wisconsin Football: Instant reactions to Wisconsin’s loss to Penn State

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Wisconsin football team falls to 0-1 on the season after an ugly game against Penn State. The Badgers couldn’t overcome several costly mistakes in the red zone, scoring just once on four trips. A tale of two halves for the defense This game really felt like a tale of two halves. In the first […]

Wisconsin Football: Instant reactions to Wisconsin’s loss to Penn State - Badger of Honor - Badger of Honor - A Wisconsin Badgers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Continue reading...

A lot of different issues on this FB team, majority of fans are taking the easy road and pointing to the QB but the OL has been a mess going on the third season... lack of talent at WR/CB are glaring and frankly, the coaching isn't where it needs to be.

That narrative might be hard to swallow but sometimes the truth hurts.

A lot of different issues on this FB team, majority of fans are taking the easy road and pointing to the QB but the OL has been a mess going on the third season... lack of talent at WR/CB are glaring and frankly, the coaching isn't where it needs to be.

That narrative might be hard to swallow but sometimes the truth hurts.
Sad thing is even if the coaching staff is not up to snuff the schools and the fans accept being average. If they go 7-5 or 8-4 that's ok we still got a bowl game and will be happy.

I am not going to disagree on the staff, WR issues and OL but I am also not going to ignore that Mertz has not progressed. Like it or not there were a sizable amount of chatter in camp that Wolf was the better QB for the majority of the time. That’s either coaching, poor evaluation or just lack of talent to compete at this level……probably a combination of all of that. I am beginning to question if there really was an “open competition “ for the job with Coan. This was PC prize “get” at position he played and coached. You can fill in the blanks where I’m going with that.

Sad thing is even if the coaching staff is not up to snuff the schools and the fans accept being average. If they go 7-5 or 8-4 that's ok we still got a bowl game and will be happy.
But they are not going 7-5 or 8-4 under PC. 4 or the last 5 seasons are 10 wins. Last year is a mulligan for obvious reasons. Personally the team overachieved based on the talent on the field

Harsh reality is the program cannot compete with OSU. Not sure any program in the conference can. So the question is what is the ceiling? Maybe a perfect storm season gets you in an expanded playoff, I can say the same about 3-4 other programs in the conference. I know many UW fans can’t accept that but it’s reality.

I agree, the Offensive Line isn't playing well. Don't know whether it's the scheme or our guys are just too slow and unathletic - especially pass blocking.

I also thought our play calling was way to predictable. On pass plays Penn State frequently seemed to already be in position to disrupt our routes.

Mertz didn't play well. He gets the glory - he gets the blame. He didn't seem to see the field and coverages, but that could be somewhat attributed to Penn State's pressure. But, 2 fumbles handing off inside the 10? And, the last fumble, c'mon.

You can't win getting inside the 10 3 times and not scoring any points.

It was a tough game against a very good team that showed exactly where Wisconsin is - close but no cigar. And, I think it exposed our Offensive line as a weakness and not a strength. Hopefully, they turn it around.

I am not going to disagree on the staff, WR issues and OL but I am also not going to ignore that Mertz has not progressed. Like it or not there were a sizable amount of chatter in camp that Wolf was the better QB for the majority of the time. That’s either coaching, poor evaluation or just lack of talent to compete at this level……probably a combination of all of that. I am beginning to question if there really was an “open competition “ for the job with Coan. This was PC prize “get” at position he played and coached. You can fill in the blanks where I’m going with that.
Hate to agree with you.

But, Mertz didn't seem to handle the pressure of Penn State's D or the pressure of the Big Game.

I also thought our play calling was way to predictable. On pass plays Penn State frequently seemed to already be in position to disrupt our routes.
It’s because Pryor and Davis are at best average WR. That’s not breaking news. And I’ll say it again , the HC does not trust the QB. Read between the lines if you must

It’s because Pryor and Davis are at best average WR. That’s not breaking news. And I’ll say it again , the HC does not trust the QB. Read between the lines if you must
No need to read between the lines. I think we are pretty much on the same page.

Except, I admit to being a huge Homer who bit on the hype more.

Better than average but not great talent.

I was at the game and in Madison. To say the OL played poorly is an understatement. In pass pro they were awful, in the run game inconsistent. Mellusi is slow to the hole more often then not on inside run plays, I had two former coach's sitting with us just losing it on the backs missing the cutback lane in the first half. Yes, play calling sucked. On Mertz, once he is rattled he loses his poise.

The front 7 on defense was great but the backend got lucky more then it might have looked on TV, it's a problem that isn't going to go away.

The team played in cement shoes in this game and thats on PC and his staff, a lot of the same issues from last season remain.

Back