Wisconsin Football: How does the future at the WR position look?

He can’t get past read one, not sure if it’s just the speed of the game as Huard mentioned or just that he came from such a simple system. When he had success vs Army he set his feet, read and throw.
That would be the game between his ears.

I agree with what you're saying. I think Mertz might throw a great ball in practice when not under pressure. But, he doesn't seem to handle the moment, doesn't seem to handle pressure in games, doesn't seem to be seeing the field, and all too often seems hesitant to throw the ball before guys are out of their cuts to where they should be.

Regarding receivers, if they're running sloppy routes, isn't somebody failing to coach them to run good routes.

Regarding Chryst, I think he's a very good man, and unlike some other coaches, I do believe he's all on for his players for them. But, he's so predictable it's crazy. Most if us know the play that's coming. Our opponents know what play is coming. Even with limited players ability and limited plays, the play calling should be able to surprise an opponent a couple times a game.

And, I get that you can't make filet out of chuck, but somehow the defense consistently comes close. To me it appears the defensive side is finding a way and succeeding, while the offense is just floundering. I think it has a lot to do with coaching. And, I'm referring to everyone on the offensive side. They are not even close to getting it done - worse there are no signs of improvement.

Go Bucky! Prove me wrong this week
You can’t put lipstick on a pig. It’s been 3 years now and Pryor or Davis can’t hit a basic route tree consistently. That’s plain and simple a talent issue. Chryst did not get stupid in 18 months. Coan ran the same system and no one bitched. And yeah they went to the RB. The difference? They had an elite RB, a functional OL and a big body WR who could run a route. This year you have none of the above

That would be the game between his ears.
Or just not the mental makeup to take the next step. Maybe semantics but if he can’t grasp simple concepts that not changing

You can’t put lipstick on a pig. It’s been 3 years now and Pryor or Davis can’t hit a basic route tree consistently. That’s plain and simple a talent issue. Chryst did not get stupid in 18 months. Coan ran the same system and no one bitched. And yeah they went to the RB. The difference? They had an elite RB, a functional OL and a big body WR who could run a route. This year you have none of the above
Does this just come down to recuriting then that UW can't recurit good talent at WR

Thing is you won't get more resources UW is what it is no big money coming into the program like others
Well it is what it is and that the point many can’t wrap their heads around

If Rudolph is a problem, and I tend to agree, PC needs to get rid of him and bring someone in who he can rely on. My feeling is Chryst is comfortable with Rudolph around, so that's never going to happen, unless forced on him, through threat against his own job.

That said, how much impact would losing Rudolph have on recruiting? I know he's been active.
I agree with this Rudolph has shown issues last couple years and have to guess that PC does not want to move on from him

Does this just come down to recuriting then that UW can't recurit good talent at WR
Again beating that damn dead horse again. You need resource, facilities and a commitment. I posted the issues in the Khalif comments

Back