Wisconsin Football: How does the future at the WR position look?

If your offense is known to create opportunities for WRs, guys with NFL ambitions will show up to man the positions.
Well then you need a QB to deliver the ball, an OL who can protect. It’s not as simple as adding 1-2 4 star WR expect this to be some wide open offense. Oh and RB who can help play action

Last edited:
It's a given you have to have those things or you wouldn't even be considering an offense that was pass oriented, would you?

It's a given you have to have those things or you wouldn't even be considering an offense that was pass oriented, would you?
Well depends what you consider pass oriented. PSU is not neither is MSU or Michigan. The offense was balanced under Wilson.

It depends on whether you have a QB who is proficient at passing, regardless of how good your line is. Then, it's up to the coaches to design plays that create passing opportunities.

We could keep going around in circles on this, but go nowhere. We see it differently, to a degree. I just don't believe they try to explore their passing potential. It's quite generic.

It depends on whether you have a QB who is proficient at passing, regardless of how good your line is. Then, it's up to the coaches to design plays that create passing opportunities.
And we don’t have a proficient QB. With Coan this offense ran fine long with Taylor. Look at Hornibrook at how inconsistent he was. Tolzein was efficient And if you can get pressure from the front 3 or 4. It’s an equalizer. Makes many QB’s look bad. Yeah I have some issues with play calls but the WR are pedestrian

I agree. They aren't good. We won't get any decent receivers unless things change.

I think out receivers would be better with better coaching.

The passing attack is not very good and is very predictable yet our coaches just won't change. They know how to do one thing run the ball. Unfortunately it only works well when you outman your opponent alot so that it doesn't matter they know what your doing.

We may not be as committed as others, but many others are doing more with less. And, have coaches who are finding square holes for their square pegs instead of forcing their square pegs into round holes.

I think Chryst is a very good man. I don't think he's a very good coach.

But who do we get? I don't have that answer. Maybe there's a non-Power 5 up and comer.

You can't make filet mignon out of ground round, I don't care how good the Chef is. Just that simple.
But, with an Instant Pot, you can turn a cheap piece of meat into a tender delicacy. It's all in how you do the cooking.

I have seen guys who nobody thought would make good receivers become great ones. Raymond Berry, in the HOF, only caught 33 passes during his entire college career. Was considered too slow, had bad eye sight, and "couldn't get open because of his speed." Guess what? He gets to the NFL, drafted in about round 20 or 21, ends up making it into the HOF as one of the greatest receivers of his era.

The fact is, the only thing the majority of colleges see is speed and a few highlights of a kid running over, through, or past, sub par defenders on a football field, and they end up classifying them as whatever they want, based on fragmented info.

There's a reason kids like Jim Leonhard walk on to a program and end up with careers like he had. They system isn't infallible.

That said, Wisconsin doesn't get kids who could be that breakout receiver. Abbrederis was a walk on, who showed he had some skills, or he never would have ended up in the NFL like he did. But, these finds are pretty rare for the Badgers.

Wisconsin is a run first offense for good reason. They've used it effectively for years. But, they came so close to being a real winner when Russ Wilson was the QB for one year, because he had the skills needed to run, and throw the ball effectively. He also benefited from some hungry receivers, who wanted to get their hands on the ball.

But, with an Instant Pot, you can turn a cheap piece of meat into a tender delicacy. It's all in how you do the cooking.

I have seen guys who nobody thought would make good receivers become great ones. Raymond Berry, in the HOF, only caught 33 passes during his entire college career. Was considered too slow, had bad eye sight, and "couldn't get open because of his speed." Guess what? He gets to the NFL, drafted in about round 20 or 21, ends up making it into the HOF as one of the greatest receivers of his era.

The fact is, the only thing the majority of colleges see is speed and a few highlights of a kid running over, through, or past, sub par defenders on a football field, and they end up classifying them as whatever they want, based on fragmented info.

There's a reason kids like Jim Leonhard walk on to a program and end up with careers like he had. They system isn't infallible.

That said, Wisconsin doesn't get kids who could be that breakout receiver. Abbrederis was a walk on, who showed he had some skills, or he never would have ended up in the NFL like he did. But, these finds are pretty rare for the Badgers.

Wisconsin is a run first offense for good reason. They've used it effectively for years. But, they came so close to being a real winner when Russ Wilson was the QB for one year, because he had the skills needed to run, and throw the ball effectively. He also benefited from some hungry receivers, who wanted to get their hands on the ball.
Wilson also had Ball, Melvin Gordon and James White in the backfield which allowed Toon and Abby to get involved. Toon was a very good WR, a better route runner than any guy on the current roster.

Back