Who will be the Next GB Head Coach ?

There were Packer fans who were unhappy when they won the SB because it vindicated TT and MM. I remember it well. Fans are idiots but they have no skin in the game so it doesn't matter.

Don't you think part of it is, the stuff you deal with concerning College Players is a lot less than the crap you deal with concerning Pro Players, i.e. you have the same stupid dumb stuff, but I would think you get less talk back and attitude from the College guys.

But you have obnoxious boosters and alumni 365 days a year and if you lose 2-3 games a year at a blue chip program or miss a major bowl you are on the hot seat....then there is recruiting

College players often have to babysit them more too as the programs need to protect the kids to keep them on field. NFL hey you screw up it's you're own stupid fault.

But you have obnoxious boosters and alumni 365 days a year and if you lose 2-3 games a year at a blue chip program or miss a major bowl you are on the hot seat....then there is recruiting

Don't Assistant Coaches do most of the preliminary recruiting and the big dogs show up to eat pie, compliment Mom, say they wish they could get more tough guys like dad and brothers, wink about academics, and take all the credit.

Don't Assistant Coaches do most of the preliminary recruiting and the big dogs show up to eat pie, compliment Mom, say they wish they could get more tough guys like dad and brothers, wink about academics, and take all the credit.

To some degree yes but the process is more than in home visits, its texts, phone calls, and yes the in home portion is key.

The recruiting process is a huge amount of time invested in each prospect. The more you want the kid, and the greater the expectations he's coming to your school, the more you try to block any other schools from getting too close to him. It's a freaking nightmare to be honest. For the kid, and parents, it can reach a point where they want to say; "Enough is enough!"

But, it don't end. It keeps going. Schools keep trying to poach the best from you. It happened this recruiting season to the Badgers. It's a nightmare for head coaches because they are trying to juggle all these names, and make sure they don't alienate the kids they have in-house, so they don't opt to transfer out, when you have plans for them.

In the pros, a lot of that garbage isn't out there. You concentrate mainly on the game, and let the front office handle all the PR and boo-hoo stuff with players' egos. "It's so annoying!" A guy who worked in one front office told me a few years ago. "They've got wallets stuffed with $100 bills, and they whine about a $2 toll charge they have to pay to get to the damned stadium for practice and games!" The front office pats them on the head, not the coaching staff.

I'd say being a pro coach is a little easier in some respects but the expectations are higher than it is in most college programs. That said, a high profile college program can be a horrible place to coach if you keep getting hung in effigy when your team loses two games in a year. Hell! Most schools would sacrifice vestal virgins at halftime of every home game to get that kind of a season.

Not sure if this was being discussed earlier about contacting college coaches in the search.

"Per a league source, the NFL reminded teams at the December ownership meetings that, before a college coach may be contacted, the team must seek and obtain permission from the Athletic Director at the college in question. The teams were told that, if permission is denied, the pursuit must end."

I hope today eliminates the Jim Harbaugh talk. I'm pretty tired of winning lots of games leading up the important ones, then losing those. :)

Most of the time they leave it at I'm not interested. Riley comes right out and says that the NFL is no longer most prestigious. It's a big statement

Ok, maybe Riley has said that HE doesn't think it's more prestigious to him. But I think that view is the exception, rather than the rule. And about his statement; just because he said it, doesn't mean that's his actual opinion, as 1) many NCAA coaches say that before they leave, and 2) his team is in the CFP playoff, and he doesn't want to take any focus away from his team, worrying that their coach is thinking about leaving.

Back