Trading Aaron Rodgers

i disagree. i don't think it would be that big of a deal to pick up the 5th year option even if love never starts for the packers.

Can a 5th year option be rescinded after it is exercised?
And what are the ramifications?

I admit, I’m too lazy today to go look it up.shifty(

Can a 5th year option be rescinded after it is exercised?
And what are the ramifications?

I admit, I’m too lazy today to go look it up.shifty(

"For any player drafted with any selection (1-32) in the first round of the 2016 or 2017 Drafts, the entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for injury-related termination only, effective upon the Club’s exercise of the Option. The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for skill, injury, and Salary Cap-related termination if the player is on his Club’s roster at the start of the player’s fifth League Year (i.e., the option year)."

my interpretation of this is that the player could be cut for any reason other than injury prior to the start of the fifth year. if he's injured, his fifth year salary is guaranteed.

"For any player drafted with any selection (1-32) in the first round of the 2016 or 2017 Drafts, the entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for injury-related termination only, effective upon the Club’s exercise of the Option. The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for skill, injury, and Salary Cap-related termination if the player is on his Club’s roster at the start of the player’s fifth League Year (i.e., the option year)."

my interpretation of this is that the player could be cut for any reason other than injury prior to the start of the fifth year. if he's injured, his fifth year salary is guaranteed.
Incorret with new CBA the 5th year option is fully guaranteed once it is put on a player now. So I can't see the Packers putting on a option that is going to be well north of 20 if not 25 million by the time he plays so can't see the team keeping Rodgers after year 2 he will be gone and Love will start year 3 so the team can judge if he's worth the option year or not.

my bad. there are so many different clauses that it's hard to find the right ones. assuming that love doesn't play 75% of the offensive snaps in two of his first three seasons (a valid assumption), his fifth year salary would be the average of the 3rd through the 25th highest qb salaries during his fourth year.

For a Drafted Rookie selected in the first round of the 2018 or any subsequent Draft, who is not selected to a Pro Bowl on the original ballot during any of his first three seasons and who did not (1) participate in a minimum of 75% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays in any two of his first three regular seasons; or (2) participate in a “cumulative average” of at least 75% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays over his first three regular seasons; or (3) participate in a minimum of 50% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays in each of his first three regular seasons, the Paragraph 5 Salary for the player’s Fifth-Year Option shall equal an amount that would apply in the fourth League Year of the Rookie Contract if one calculated the Transition Tender for that League Year by using the same methodology as set forth in Article 10, Section 4, but using the applicable third through twenty-fifth highest Salaries (as “Salary” is defined in Article 10) (as opposed to the ten highest Salaries) for players at the same position (using the categories in Article 10, Section 7(a)) at which the Rookie participated in the most plays during his third League Year. No other Salary (other than the minimum offseason workout per diem and compensation for community relations/sponsor appearances or promotional activities (subject to the maximum amounts permitted in Section 3(b)(iv) above)) is permitted for the Fifth-Year Option. “Cumulative average” means the sum of the total number of offensive or defensive plays in which the player participated over the applicable seasons, divided by the sum of the Club’s offensive or defensive plays during the same seasons.

so we would be on the hook for about 7.4 million based on 2020 qb salaries. since that number is likely to go up over the next four years, it would obviously be higher. how much higher is anyone's guess.

my bad. there are so many different clauses that it's hard to find the right ones. assuming that love doesn't play 75% of the offensive snaps in two of his first three seasons (a valid assumption), his fifth year salary would be the average of the 3rd through the 25th highest qb salaries during his fourth year.

For a Drafted Rookie selected in the first round of the 2018 or any subsequent Draft, who is not selected to a Pro Bowl on the original ballot during any of his first three seasons and who did not (1) participate in a minimum of 75% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays in any two of his first three regular seasons; or (2) participate in a “cumulative average” of at least 75% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays over his first three regular seasons; or (3) participate in a minimum of 50% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays in each of his first three regular seasons, the Paragraph 5 Salary for the player’s Fifth-Year Option shall equal an amount that would apply in the fourth League Year of the Rookie Contract if one calculated the Transition Tender for that League Year by using the same methodology as set forth in Article 10, Section 4, but using the applicable third through twenty-fifth highest Salaries (as “Salary” is defined in Article 10) (as opposed to the ten highest Salaries) for players at the same position (using the categories in Article 10, Section 7(a)) at which the Rookie participated in the most plays during his third League Year. No other Salary (other than the minimum offseason workout per diem and compensation for community relations/sponsor appearances or promotional activities (subject to the maximum amounts permitted in Section 3(b)(iv) above)) is permitted for the Fifth-Year Option. “Cumulative average” means the sum of the total number of offensive or defensive plays in which the player participated over the applicable seasons, divided by the sum of the Club’s offensive or defensive plays during the same seasons.

so we would be on the hook for about 7.4 million based on 2020 qb salaries. since that number is likely to go up over the next four years, it would obviously be higher. how much higher is anyone's guess.
Actually going to be about $10.1 million higher then 7.4 per this figure for 2017 options. Figure 5 years from now with all the new QB deals that will happen will have to be well above 20 million.
POSITION1ST 10 PICKSPICKS 11-32
Cornerback$14,197,000$10,244,000
Defensive End$15,184,000$10,051,000
Defensive Tackle$13,143,000$8,255,000
Linebacker$13,737,000$10,089,000
Offensive Line$13,505,000$11,064,000
Punter/Kicker$4,559,000$3,519,000
Quarterback$24,837,000$17,540,000
Running Back$8,483,000$5,204,000
Safety$9,860,000$6,770,000
Tight End$9,117,000$6,013,000
Wide Receiver$15,680,000$10,926,000

This entire discussion is / will be cash out. In 2021/2022/2023 Rodgers will be owed about $73m in cash, $51m of that in 2021 & 2022 ($22.5m each year). In those same years Z Smith will be owed $31.5m in cash. In that same timeline Adams and Bak will need extensions. Bottom line it’s a business and IF you assume no fans in stands and millions of lost revenue your going to have to make some hard roster decisions with less cash flow to dish out signing bonuses. Now factor in Rodgers age and production it’s not unreasonable to assume where that cash will come from especially with an asset you have holding a clip board that you used equity for to trade up for.

Rodgers is leaving. It's just the way it is. I don't agree with it now, but we'll see what happens.

I don't think Love will be our 3d capture of lightning in a bottle, but maybe he'll be good enough.

Rodgers is leaving. It's just the way it is. I don't agree with it now, but we'll see what happens.

I don't think Love will be our 3d capture of lightning in a bottle, but maybe he'll be good enough.

i realize you are most likely correct. but i can see another possible scenario. after two preseasons and a couple of mop-up games during the regular season, it becomes obvious that jordan love is no better than deshone kizer and the packers decide to get what they can in a trade. in the end we trade a first round pick and a fourth round pick in 2020 for a sixth round pick in 2022 or 2023. terrific return on investment.

i realize you are most likely correct. but i can see another possible scenario. after two preseasons and a couple of mop-up games during the regular season, it becomes obvious that jordan love is no better than deshone kizer and the packers decide to get what they can in a trade. in the end we trade a first round pick and a fourth round pick in 2020 for a sixth round pick in 2022 or 2023. terrific return on investment.
No decision will be made on Love after 1 year. Now after 2021 that’s a much different discussion. To much invested to make a rash decision on a small sample size

Reactions: TW
Back