Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
And those lumps / mediocre years could last 5+ years. Who knows. Sure we could get a Allen or Mahomes type or we could get Zack Wilson or Hurts.
Yeah and we can over pay for a QB that can't get to a SB

Yeah and we can over pay for a QB that can't get to a SB
I’m not going to beat a dead horse. If your comfortable chasing a starting QB for years (assuming #10 is not an option) fine. Personally I want the best 22 out there who can win now. Do I like the contract? No Do I dislike the one in August more ? Absolutely. But that contract got us where we are now. If we 12 would have walked or traded this year and next would also be pure hell especially with Jones’s number escalated. It’s not just as simple as saying move on, there we’re implications either way

If Rodgers plays 3 more years he will break over $400 million in career earnings.

You're the highest paid QB over next 2. You don't get to use any excuses like ST or Def blah blah blah.
last time i checked, the highest paid qb has rarely won a super bowl. your statement is a total non-sequitur. last year none of the top five paid qbs won the super bowl. football is a team sport and super bowl wins are not a qb stat. i can tell you with almost 100% certainty that the packers will not win the super bowl over the next two.

and you have to ask yourself - is rodgers' salary the result of market value, management incompetence, or did rodgers have some sort of invisible power to control both sides of the negotiation?

and you have to ask yourself - is rodgers' salary the result of market value, management incompetence, or did rodgers have some sort of invisible power to control both sides of the negotiation?
And this is a very good question and where the topic leads to now. I think it's a bit of all of them but mostly heavy on the " management incompetence" piece. Just my opinion.

last time i checked, the highest paid qb has rarely won a super bowl. your statement is a total non-sequitur. last year none of the top five paid qbs won the super bowl. football is a team sport and super bowl wins are not a qb stat. i can tell you with almost 100% certainty that the packers will not win the super bowl over the next two.

The problem is defining what “highest paid “ actually is. It’s not apples to apples comparing APY due to contract structure, same with cap hit it’s subjective based on how organizations manipulate the cap. Just look at Mahomes deal on cap and cash out. I give you Matt Ryan who currently has a $48m or so cap number. And when Deshon Watson gets traded he ultimately will sign a deal making him the “highest paid” so on and so forth. People get too hung up on “5 years $200m” or whatever the number is but the reality of it only number that matters is guaranteed at signing. I digress

More than anything in this case it’s market value and to some extent what the organization has to pay others on the roster probably more roster management to an extent. As I said earlier this deal was not the albatross, it was the one in August that was. That contract was mismanagement. This one actually gave them some space now, some flexibility in 23 and 24. The downside is your dead money will be painful for 2 years when it hits. Pick your poison, pain now or pain later but it all reverts back to the mismanagement in August

The problem is defining what “highest paid “ actually is. It’s not apples to apples comparing APY due to contract structure, same with cap hit it’s subjective based on how organizations manipulate the cap. Just look at Mahomes deal on cap and cash out. I give you Matt Ryan who currently has a $48m or so cap number. And when Deshon Watson gets traded he ultimately will sign a deal making him the “highest paid” so on and so forth. People get too hung up on “5 years $200m” or whatever the number is but the reality of it only number that matters is guaranteed at signing. I digress

More than anything in this case it’s market value and to some extent what the organization has to pay others on the roster probably more roster management to an extent. As I said earlier this deal was not the albatross, it was the one in August that was. That contract was mismanagement. This one actually gave them some space now, some flexibility in 23 and 24. The downside is your dead money will be painful for 2 years when it hits. Pick your poison, pain now or pain later but it all reverts back to the mismanagement in August
if it makes you feel any better, i was looking at spotrac numbers, which are offered up in many different ways. i looked at 2021 cap hit, total cash, base salary, and aav. none of the top five in any of those measures won the super bowl.

Which has the better chance? A guy who's consistent or a guy with huge ups and pathetic lows?
Or a guy who's supper cheap or a guy who wants the most money and screw the team?

if it makes you feel any better, i was looking at spotrac numbers, which are offered up in many different ways. i looked at 2021 cap hit, total cash, base salary, and aav. none of the top five in any of those measures won the super bowl.
In 2021 one QB was still on a rookie contract. I would love to see more data points than one season and see if the “highest paid” won a Lombardi that year. One other point. You can’t view contracts in the prism of one year because you can manipulate numbers front and back load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back