Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the “Last Dance”. Like it or not it’s not just on field performance but it economics. With his cap hit next year it would take multiple void years to make it cap compliant and that’s just not going to happen and rightfully so. You can’t just kick the can down the road. If Love fails or flops? Cut bait and draft the new guy again and / or find a short term bandaid
I'd hope not, but with this group in the front office, I don't count anything out. I would just as soon see them trade him during the early part of this season, and let the chips fall where they may, for where we end up.

I figure he's a lame-duck QB, but the way they folded to give him his way with Cobb, I'm not a bit certain how low they'd stoop. It's a total cluster.

The story is mostly bogus, I saw nothing from Love in preseason that shows this to be correct. They are too deep in cap hell to do the later TW, it's a sealed deal now. What they can do, if they are smart is draft a solid 2nd or 3rd round QB for insurance. That means doing your homework right now though.
I think it's something he dreamed up as well. When you look at the cap hell we face next year, it's hard to believe they can afford to keep any of their key players with contracts due. I hate to say it, but I am more inclined to believe they clear the shelves, pay the freight, and rebuild from a perspective of added draft picks. At this point, that may be the smart approach.

I'd hope not, but with this group in the front office, I don't count anything out. I would just as soon see them trade him during the early part of this season, and let the chips fall where they may, for where we end up.

I figure he's a lame-duck QB, but the way they folded to give him his way with Cobb, I'm not a bit certain how low they'd stoop. It's a total cluster.
Their hands got tied when they reworked his contract in August. In reality they were tied anyway in 2021. If you think the carnage and adjustment were bad it would have been worse if they traded him. Yes they are in a bit of cap hell for the next year or 2

Agree seems Florio was pulling stuff out of his butt. Packers could not take cap hit to trade Rodgers and have to move him next off-season as they can't take a 40+ million cap hit to keep him and they won't extend him past his 40th birthday as they don't want that risk

Their hands got tied when they reworked his contract in August. In reality they were tied anyway in 2021. If you think the carnage and adjustment were bad it would have been worse if they traded him. Yes they are in a bit of cap hell for the next year or 2
Depends you cut a lot of high price vet talent you still can end up with 30-40 million in cap space for 2022. Will be a lot of dead cap but still a lot of savings.

I think it's something he dreamed up as well. When you look at the cap hell we face next year, it's hard to believe they can afford to keep any of their key players with contracts due. I hate to say it, but I am more inclined to believe they clear the shelves, pay the freight, and rebuild from a perspective of added draft picks. At this point, that may be the smart approach.
Yes you are moving on from Rodgers, Both Smiths, Turner, Lowry maybe couple other guys. Also likely not bringing back Adams. Pretty much going to start a youth movement and try to do a reload hoping that you can draft well and in 2-3 years have cap space to play a little in FA.

I’m just ready to move on from AR and his passive/aggressive drama’s regardless of his prodigious talent.
It’s.
Just.
Time.
Packers will and I think any team taking him is taking a risk of a guy who could play 5 more years but could also say screw it after 1 year and retire. That's also major reason I think GB does not want to commit to him.

Makes you wonder if he is aging can't put throw it as hard or as accurate deep or did not doing anything in off-season screw him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back