Post Game Green Bay Defeats Indy 16-10

Jacobs is a guy who can carry the ball more then Aaron Jones did he's just built better to do that. Jones I htink was a guy who was maybe a guy who you could give it to 15 times a game. Jacobs is a guy I think on regular basis can do it 20-25 times a game.
I agree he can carry more load than Jones probably could, but not what he did Sunday. He's already had back issues this year, and those often linger. He had quad issues last year. He has 48 carries this year. That translates to 408 carries for a 17 game regular season. That's WAY too many. He has played every game in the season 1 time in his career and had career high 340 carries (2022). Last year played 13 games and had 233 carries. I think you want to keep him under 340 carries, which is under 20 carries a game. Obviously some games will need to be higher, like when Love is not healthy against the Colts, but if you want to get him through the year relatively healthy, and get another couple years out of him, you don't want 340+ carries a year.

Re: The kicking game. You don't bring in an UDFA Rookie kicker and expect there not to be some bumps in the road. He's missed 2 40+ FGs. Will he be a great kicker? I have no idea, but IMO you don't bring in him to give up on him quickly. In college, he converted FGs at a 79% rate. Not overwhelmingly great, but I couldn't find any data on what distance his misses were from. As for the Commanders kicker, I wouldn't use his 7 FG day to annoint him as the latest great kicker found on the scrap heap just yet. He's been around for a while and was available for a reason. Good kickers aren't just sitting around at home doing nothing. Career 18/25 40-49, 2/6 50+, missed 5 PAT's his rookie year. 10 times out of 10 you take the rookie the Packers have over him, and hope he realizes his upside.

As for Willis.. I agree he's not a NFL quality starter. I'd like to have someone better as a back up. Who? At what cost? There aren't 32 NFL quality starters in the league right now IMO, so to have a back up available who you are confident can be that is a luxury few teams have. Who has a guy on the bench that you believe right now can step in and take at team on a playoff run? Indy has a guy that I believe could in Flacco, but not for that team.. IMO you can't expect to have a back up that you can win many games with. You hope you have a guy that can go 1-1, 1-2, 2-3 in a short stretch as a starter and not cost you a playoff opportunity. It's RARE to have an MVP candidate in Carson Wentz and have Nick Foles as your back up who takes you on a playoff run and wins the Super Bowl MVP. That just doesn't happen very often and to expect that kind of performance from a back up isn't realistic. The reality is, if Love missing significant time, playoff hopes are slim, and I don't know of an option for back up QB that changes that. I'm not sure if he was out for 8-10 weeks and they signed Tannehill who appears to be the best available longer term option if THAT changes anything.

Run defense.. key to their run defense for a while has been to get the lead and take their offense out of the run game for the most part. For me, it's no different now. Offense get the lead, defense hold against a team forced to pass more. Back up QB might cause some challenges there.
I agree with much of what you're saying. I was just pointing out what I saw.

Regarding Narveson, I'm not calling for him to be gone, just saying I'm not sure he's the answer. Two games, two makeable, important kicks missed. Can we just get one game where the kicker gets it done. He's not missing 50+ yarders, but makeable kicks in perfect conditions. Narveson is 50% from 40-49 yards so far. Maybe with a bigger sample size it'll be better, and it should be. Last year there were 25 kickers who were 75%+ from that distance, and 19 were 80%+. Narveson needs to get to that threshold from that distance. (I only brought up the Commanders kicker to point out that a guy can come in on short notice and get it done because it doesn't have to take months for a snapper/holder/kicker to get in sync.) Maybe Narveson will be fine. I like his attitude, but as of this moment I'm not annointing him.

On Willis, I agree there is really not a better option and I'm not interested in paying big money for a guy to ride the bench for 90% of the season. I'm fine with Willis as the backup, just pointing out that this wasn't a starting caliber performance and won't win you games against a better opponent. It needs to be better if you need to use him for any longer stretch of time and you expect to win most of them. He'll likely get better. but hopefully we won't need to see him for more than one more game.

As for the run defense, it just has never been really good and maybe it's just the players and no coach is going to significantly change that. I 100% agree with what you say about getting a lead and forcing teams to pass as their best way of hiding their "meh" run defense.

I agree with much of what you're saying. I was just pointing out what I saw.

Regarding Narveson, I'm not calling for him to be gone, just saying I'm not sure he's the answer. Two games, two makeable, important kicks missed. Can we just get one game where the kicker gets it done. He's not missing 50+ yarders, but makeable kicks in perfect conditions. Narveson is 50% from 40-49 yards so far. Maybe with a bigger sample size it'll be better, and it should be. Last year there were 25 kickers who were 75%+ from that distance, and 19 were 80%+. Narveson needs to get to that threshold from that distance. (I only brought up the Commanders kicker to point out that a guy can come in on short notice and get it done because it doesn't have to take months for a snapper/holder/kicker to get in sync.) Maybe Narveson will be fine. I like his attitude, but as of this moment I'm not annointing him.

On Willis, I agree there is really not a better option and I'm not interested in paying big money for a guy to ride the bench for 90% of the season. I'm fine with Willis as the backup, just pointing out that this wasn't a starting caliber performance and won't win you games against a better opponent. It needs to be better if you need to use him for any longer stretch of time and you expect to win most of them. He'll likely get better. but hopefully we won't need to see him for more than one more game.

As for the run defense, it just has never been really good and maybe it's just the players and no coach is going to significantly change that. I 100% agree with what you say about getting a lead and forcing teams to pass as their best way of hiding their "meh" run defense.

At least Narveson isn't missing PATs. :)

IMO, until Gute drafts a couple of big run stoppers in the middle, we will struggle to stop the run. We always draft penetrators and pass rushers not guys that can hold their lane and she's blockers.

At least Narveson isn't missing PATs. :)

IMO, until Gute drafts a couple of big run stoppers in the middle, we will struggle to stop the run. We always draft penetrators and pass rushers not guys that can hold their lane and she's blockers.
How many guys were drafted this year to be big run stoppers?

AKA "Run Stoppers"

Todays offense dictates that run a lot of 5-6 DB schemes because most offenses are running a ton of 3-4 WR concepts so with all due respect you really can't build around "run stoppers"

In truth GB big issue defensively is you're playing a bunch of guys who were specifically drafted for a 34 scheme and plugging into 43/42 front. It's not an issue thing to do.

AKA "Run Stoppers"

Todays offense dictates that run a lot of 5-6 DB schemes because most offenses are running a ton of 3-4 WR concepts so with all due respect you really can't build around "run stoppers"

In truth GB big issue defensively is you're playing a bunch of guys who were specifically drafted for a 34 scheme and plugging into 43/42 front. It's not an issue thing to do.

That does make sense Mark.

What is your thought on Walker? He could be another major issue with stopping the run. He seems to be in the wrong hole, over runs the play, or gets washed out of the play alot. Or is he being laid out to dry by some of his d-lineman at times?

What is your thought on Walker? He could be another major issue with stopping the run. He seems to be in the wrong hole, over runs the play, or gets washed out of the play alot. Or is he being laid out to dry by some of his d-lineman at times?
I question if Walker has it between the ears to play pro ball.

Walker is an OLB in the 43... his problem is that he doesn't have a lot of help in the LB corp until Cooper gets in more. Quay needs to attack the QB not fill in the run lanes. It's only been two games.... give it another few weeks

Back