Post Game: Green Bay Beats Arizona 34-13

First off Baranczyk tends to speak out of his butt on such things, he's not wrong however GB isn't playing a 4-3 with an Elephant end.... the man flat-out told everyone that way back, schematically he is playing true to his base.( Over) Nothing wrong with that.

I can't say this enough: He took 3-4/3-3 players and shoved them into 43 Over look... but he's playing a ton of 4-2-5. Could he gamble more? Yeah, but he's getting stops when he needs to and creating more turnovers than any Packers D in about 10 years.

I say leave the man alone and let him cook.
There was a method to their madness in the draft. They were building capital for the field that could hold up in the new defense, and it's working, thanks to a solid free agent grab at safety.

Even though the Packers aren't getting great numbers of sacks, they are putting pressure on QBs, and it's forcing them to make decisions faster than they want to. That leads to mistakes, and mistakes end up being turnovers.

Personally, I think they've come a long way in the conversion already. It's going to be even better next year, when they get a chance to add a few sharper tools.

The Packers have given up 34, 10, 14, 31, 19, & 13 points in their six games. It's been a long time since I've seen us hold the opposition as low as they have in those four games in this six game stretch. I think it's pretty good. Add to this, the fact that the Packers were not as prolific on offense in Love's absence, and it points out what I consider a pretty darned good defensive showing for the year to date.

It's only going to get better, because they're learning to play together better every day.

It's interesting because eyeball test, it feels like the offense still misses Aaron Jones. He had a knack for turning those creases into big plays up the middle, where I think Jacobs is a little less explosive. The flip side I think is that Jacobs seems to be getting more yards out of the plays where the creases aren't there. He's getting them into 2nd and 4-5-6 rather than 2nd and 8-9 more often than Jones did.

I really liked seeing Jordan check the ball down a lot yesterday, and I think this should help Jacobs more than anyone.
The only thing that bothers me about Jacobs is that he persists in going up the middle when there are tons of guys there instead of bouncing to the outside. Yes he eventually gets good yardage, but I get real frustrated seeing him take 2 steps up the middle and going down when there is room on the outside to the right.

There was a method to their madness in the draft. They were building capital for the field that could hold up in the new defense, and it's working, thanks to a solid free agent grab at safety.

Even though the Packers aren't getting great numbers of sacks, they are putting pressure on QBs, and it's forcing them to make decisions faster than they want to. That leads to mistakes, and mistakes end up being turnovers.

Personally, I think they've come a long way in the conversion already. It's going to be even better next year, when they get a chance to add a few sharper tools.

The Packers have given up 34, 10, 14, 31, 19, & 13 points in their six games. It's been a long time since I've seen us hold the opposition as low as they have in those four games in this six game stretch. I think it's pretty good. Add to this, the fact that the Packers were not as prolific on offense in Love's absence, and it points out what I consider a pretty darned good defensive showing for the year to date.

It's only going to get better, because they're learning to play together better every day.
They need a true 43 MLB to plug those gaps.... Cooper is okay at it better than Walker but a real thumper in there would enable him to do some things he can't do now.

They need a true 43 MLB to plug those gaps.... Cooper is okay at it better than Walker but a real thumper in there would enable him to do some things he can't do now.
I totally agree. I wonder if it's going to come through free agency or the draft?

How well would Mondon do? I don't think he's big enough to play inside, but could he add weight, and not lose that 40 speed under 4.5? He's probably not the best choice on paper, but based on the competition level he's excelled against, I think it shows his ability.

Lander Barton is a name to think about in the draft. He has two brothers who are in the NFL. One is a linebacker. Good pedigree. I have a hunch they won't go in for a free agent because of the bucks involved, preferring to spend the money they have more wisely. I do think if he was out there, they'd scarf him up in the 2nd round for sure, possibly even the first.

But, no doubt about it, someone who can play sideline to sideline, fast enough to handle coverage, and a downhill tackler who can read QBs and know exactly what's playing out in front of them is the key.

Other thoughts:

Cooper needs to be on the field more, and he needs to play MLB. Walker is just too inconsistent reading and filling gaps. I don't think he's instinctive that way. Overall I think the D has statistically done pretty well against the run but I don't think they can afford to have gaping holes up the middle because Quay doesn't know where to go. Just play the talented, instinctive rookie and take whatever lumps come from developing him in real time.

Evan Williams has come on really well and I like Bullard around the line. That's a nice little S group we have going.

Nixon should be the full time punt return guy. If he's going to be useless on KOs, give him the chance to get the ball in his hands on punts. Frankly Reed is too important to the offense to be doing that anyway.

I'm not really sure what to say about the pass rush. That Eric Baranczyk guy said that he thinks the DE's are aligning in pretty tight, tighter than they were under Barry, in order to protect against the run and it's making them ultimately take harder routes to the QB - he thinks they should line up a little wider. I will say, when you look at the end zone angle of some of their rushes, Gary for example, he seems to be cutting outside first in order to try to fight back around to where the QB is - just giving himself a longer route to the QB. Doesn't seem to make sense. Any thoughts on this?

Personally, I think Gary is trying to speed rush around the edge too much. I think he should be bull rushing more but that's just me. Also, as some have said he doesn't have a top motor either.

@pff
Grades Vs. AZ Offense
1. Zach Tom: 88.1 (HQ/Elite)
2. Ben Sims: 83.8 (High Quality)
3. Andrew Beck: 79.8 (High Quality)
4. Josh Jacobs: 74.2 (High Quality)
5. Jordan Love: 72.1 (HQ/Above Avg)

Defense
1. Evan Williams: 93.3 (Elite)
2. Karl Brooks: 93.0 (Elite)
3. Rashan Gary: 81.7 (High Quality)
4. Edgerrin Cooper: 81.0 (High Quality)
5. Jaire Alexander: 70.7 (Above Avg)

@pff
Grades Vs. AZ Offense

Defense
I saw quite a bit of this myself. I liked how Evan Williams played. Gary did hold the edge like he should, and still applied pressure. Cooper played like someone with more experience. On offense, Tom is one helluva player now. Sims quietly showed why they signed him. He can block with the best of them, and did. Josh got that tough yardage between the tackles, and made them focus on his strengths. People think you didn't do anything of value unless you gain 100 yards. Not true. He had 90 yards from scrimmage, and hard yardage at that. I thought Love played a solid game. He made mistakes, but he trusted Doubs and Watson to make plays, and both did.

Surprisingly, despite their major catches, Doubs and Watson aren't on the list. Too many plays they didn't play well. Something to work with.

@pff
Grades Vs. AZ Offense

Defense
Guessing Walker and McDuffie grades were not good as they got rode like govt mule's yesterday.

Back