Packers Offense, What Really Needs To Change And Improve

I'm with you on that Pack.

There wasn't a group in the offense that doesn't get some blame for the failings of 2015. QB, RB, WR, TE, OL all had their problems. Much of it was injury related so that is why I have a ton of optimism for 2016. Only starters that weren't on the weekly injury report at one point or another were A. Rodgers and R. Rodgers.
And starting Oline was together for all of 2 games. bh(

Little better injury luck, some development from within and a draft pick or two, and we won't lack in points scored in 2016.

Last edited:
Last season seemed like Murphy's Law and the Domino Affect all rolled into one.

But I also agree with I think it was.....Pack. He said the lack of scheme changes really contributed to the offensive woes. For all the self-scouting they do they couldn't see that what they were doing wasn't working? I do realize that it takes quite a while to learn different schemes but if they had started teaching them when things started to go wrong, then maybe things would have been different. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

I'd like to see the coaches teach plays that plays to the players' strengths instead of trying to get them to do things that they aren't able to do or haven't learned to do yet.

Last season seemed like Murphy's Law and the Domino Affect all rolled into one.

But I also agree with I think it was.....Pack. He said the lack of scheme changes really contributed to the offensive woes. For all the self-scouting they do they couldn't see that what they were doing wasn't working? I do realize that it takes quite a while to learn different schemes but if they had started teaching them when things started to go wrong, then maybe things would have been different. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

I'd like to see the coaches teach plays that plays to the players' strengths instead of trying to get them to do things that they aren't able to do or haven't learned to do yet.
No coaching could have fixed the OL issues. And that's where the problems started. Very few teams can click and not lose a step losing their #1 and #3 wr. And their top rookie wr.

When Jordy Nelson went down, it was a big loss, of course. However, I thought we had a lot of depth and would be able to overcome it. That turned out to be false. His loss seemed to have an effect on all of the other WR's and Rodgers, too. If he is able to perform at or very near pre-injury levels then I think our whole offense will snap back to form.

I have mixed feelings on Bahktiari. We were very fortunate to have found a player in the mid rounds of the draft that was able to step in a be a competent starter at LT as a rookie. Hard not to like him because of that. On the other hand, while decent - and better than any alternative currently on the roster - he isn't elite and I'm not sure that he ever will be. That's a dilemma because it is a critical position that could be upgraded but would also be very difficult to upgrade.

TE is a position that could definitely use an upgrade. I like what Richard Rodgers brings to the team but we could use a complementary piece. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be a great year for drafting such a TE and most of the free agents have issues, too. So we might get lucky in the draft but I wouldn't count on it.

Lacy needs to be better.

When Jordy Nelson went down, it was a big loss, of course. However, I thought we had a lot of depth and would be able to overcome it. That turned out to be false. His loss seemed to have an effect on all of the other WR's and Rodgers, too. If he is able to perform at or very near pre-injury levels then I think our whole offense will snap back to form.

Jordy's injury wasn't the only injury to the WRs.

Cobb separated his shoulder
Adams had a bad sprain in his ankle
Monty had a season ending, surgery required ankle injury
Abby was injured a couple times.

Even without Jordy, it looked like there was enough depth with some promising young guys on the roster. Jordy being out wasn't the only reason the WR underperformed.

I agree with two main points made earlier- Aberration and MMs ego.
We suffered a lot of injuries, but no one stepped up. It seemed instead of stepping up to make a play we took turns stepping up to make a mistake; penalty, drop, fumble, missed tackle. Instead of finding rhythm we'd find fail. We always seemed to find a way to stop ourselves. NO ONE played as good as they could. Even Crosby, he had a great year but found a chance to fail (Detroit) too.

The biggest obstacle, IMO, was MMs ego. His decisions of not adjusting to personnel available is frustrating. The choices the coaching staff made along the OL were mind numbing, especially the last minute choice of Sitton at LT! I think that was a big factor in ARod's uncomfortableness (is that a word?). Sitton at LT, Barclay anywhere but RG, ugghhh. Lastly on MM. I think Nerd said it best: Fear based coaching late in big games. The "Play not to lose" theory. It kills us, especially in the playoffs.

One last point I'd like to make: Blaming Randall for that last big play in OT vs Cards is silly. It was the forty missed tackles after the 6 yard pass that blew it. How many guys took the wrong angle, dove at shadows or just plain quit on that play. It was a total team brain fart.

Just couldn't believe anyone actually considered real tanking as an actual possibility. Obviously, there are some, so if anyone thought AR was actually throwing the games, my apologies.

I agree with two main points made earlier- Aberration and MMs ego.
We suffered a lot of injuries, but no one stepped up. It seemed instead of stepping up to make a play we took turns stepping up to make a mistake; penalty, drop, fumble, missed tackle. Instead of finding rhythm we'd find fail. We always seemed to find a way to stop ourselves. NO ONE played as good as they could. Even Crosby, he had a great year but found a chance to fail (Detroit) too.

The biggest obstacle, IMO, was MMs ego. His decisions of not adjusting to personnel available is frustrating. The choices the coaching staff made along the OL were mind numbing, especially the last minute choice of Sitton at LT! I think that was a big factor in ARod's uncomfortableness (is that a word?). Sitton at LT, Barclay anywhere but RG, ugghhh. Lastly on MM. I think Nerd said it best: Fear based coaching late in big games. The "Play not to lose" theory. It kills us, especially in the playoffs.

One last point I'd like to make: Blaming Randall for that last big play in OT vs Cards is silly. It was the forty missed tackles after the 6 yard pass that blew it. How many guys took the wrong angle, dove at shadows or just plain quit on that play. It was a total team brain fart.

What choices along the OL were questionable? Playing anyone who wasn't injured that was on the roster? For as banged up as the OL was for the last 10 games, I'd say MM did a pretty good job of putting a serviceable line together. I don't think MM made the same mistake from one week to the next as far as OL assignments. He kept trying to find the right combination of broken players to make it work.

Randall was blamed because if he was anywhere within 5 yards of Fitzgerald, Palmer wouldn't have been able to even throw him the ball. Yes there were missed tackles but there shouldn't have been a need for a tackle in the first place.

I did list at least two incidents. Even Sitton made a couple of remarks after he was moved to LT. How about the refusal to give help to overmatched backup OL? That has been brought forth in previous years, MMs precious system refuses to adjust.
If blaming rookies makes people feel better so be it. If our DL wouldn't have missed the sack tackle it wouldn't have to blame the rook.:mad:

I get that we had a lot of injuries. What bothered me most was the quality depth...OL was not there.

As far as the scheme goes, I agree that the scheme would not have helped the injuries to the OL but there were so many complaints about Janis running wrong routes or limited routes I just think that it might have helped to play to the players' strengths.

When MM first started there was a lot of talk about his innovative play calling and the design of the schemes. It seems to me that nothing has changed much. There were times when I knew what MM was going to call...or at least what Clements was going to call and if I knew with so little football knowledge you can bet that the defenses sure did.

I guess all I am saying is that I hope he comes up with some different stuff. And before anyone says it, yes I know the offense was limited with the available personnel. Hopefully moving forward they will design things differently. Don't have any thoughts on what that might be.

Back